Food & Drink

Burger composition comparison chart (macros)

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2021 5:30 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10286 posts
4734 upvotes

Burger composition comparison chart (macros)

I finally found a burger I really liked (Belmont Meats Angus) so I wondered what it was made of & how it compared to others. Turns out it is one of the highest fat burgers (23%), has unusually high fibre to soak up & hold in the fat (4%), lower protein because of the higher fat/fibre content (14%) & one of the lower sodium contents (275 mg/100g). It is really soft & juicy & does not turn into a puck as a leftover - it microwave reheats very well.

Thought some others might be curious about the relative protein:fat blends & sodium in various burgers, so here are the macros for 43 frozen red meat burgers & 27 alternative burgers you can buy in the GTA area to give you an idea how the brands & varieties differ. White = lowest values; deepest colours = highest values.

BeefBurgers.png
AlternativeBurgers.png
Last edited by lecale on Jul 29th, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30077 posts
16093 upvotes
Toronto
Where can you buy this Belmont burgers ? I don’t recall seeing them in any major supermarkets chains
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10286 posts
4734 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Where can you buy this Belmont burgers ? I don’t recall seeing them in any major supermarkets chains
They are at Walmart for $9.97/6-pk.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5883 posts
717 upvotes
Toronto
Oh so is that what belmont is doing after the fall of vampires? They have fallen a great deal.

#netflix
Supply is the only Metrics that Matters
Active Listings has been the limiting factor for past 10 years.... and will be for next 10

Hence I pull exclusive data from MLS and update GTA HOUSING SUPPLY - Daily!

Help is what I do :)
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30077 posts
16093 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks. Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I will give them a try. I had tried a few others on that list before and I did not find them extraordinary... per se.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46778 posts
9879 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
lecale wrote: I finally found a burger I really liked (Belmont Meats Angus) so I wondered what it was made of & how it compared to others. Turns out it is one of the highest fat burgers (23%), has unusually high fibre to soak up & hold in the fat (4%), lower protein because of the higher fat/fibre content (14%) & one of the lower sodium contents (275 mg/100g). It is really soft & juicy & does not turn into a puck as a leftover - it microwave reheats very well.

Thought some others might be curious about the relative protein:fat blends & sodium in various burgers, so here are the macros for 43 frozen red meat burgers & 27 alternative burgers you can buy in the GTA area to give you an idea how the brands & varieties differ. White = lowest values; deepest colours = highest values.

BeefBurgers.png
AlternativeBurgers.png
Nice chart.
Nice presentation.

We’ll accept the merger!!! Call Bill in legal!
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1429 posts
476 upvotes
but the chart is missing the various soy ingredient(s) and how much per burger :) some now using different veggie textures instead of soy but still filler :)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10286 posts
4734 upvotes
smoraes wrote: but the chart is missing the various soy ingredient(s) and how much per burger :) some now using different veggie textures instead of soy but still filler :)
I did not get that far because no one cared ;)

Should I do 1 with veggie protein components?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2004
1429 posts
476 upvotes
am sure the plant based on the chart is self sufficient unless others come under different category ( beets/pea/black bean/falafel/tofu and so on as the list can grow depending on the choices out there for non meat and then you have seafood choices for burgers/patties :)
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10286 posts
4734 upvotes
smoraes wrote: am sure the plant based on the chart is self sufficient unless others come under different category ( beets/pea/black bean/falafel/tofu and so on as the list can grow depending on the choices out there for non meat and then you have seafood choices for burgers/patties :)
Yeah if more stores had info up, I could do a whopper of a chart. It started with idle curiosity about why the Belmont burgers tasted so different. When I did up the chart I realized they are really different because all other red meat burgers I could find do not include crumbs. I am not against them. There is mad variation in the non-red-meat burgers. they are really hard to compare.
Sep 6, 2017
21 posts
40 upvotes
Try Wagyu burgers from PC. Obviously not real wagyu but actually pretty decent. I can honestly say I tried over 10 different frozen burger brands and this one is my fav. Cook it right and it has a lot of flavour and tenderness. Comes 4 in a pack for $11. Highly recommended.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
22114 posts
8484 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Interesting, i just assumed Belmont had more salt than the competition.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Sep 13, 2016
786 posts
1271 upvotes
GTA
I find these Belmont burgers awful and they literally stink. One of the worst burgers I’ve tried.
Jul 4, 2021
161 posts
64 upvotes
GTA
Can you add "Cardinal Roadhouse" and Kirkland? ☺︎
Oct 2, 2018
962 posts
829 upvotes
Toronto
I'm likely wrong but i always pick up Cardinal Roadhouse 1/4 Lbs beef burgers or Cardinal Roadhouse 1/3 Lbs Angus Burgers, neither on the list perhaps that says something haha.

I remember when we were young we never bought pre-made burgers it was always make from scratch and nothing beats that. No pre-made burger came close, it is easier just pop them on the grill but something to be said for going the extra mile.

Am interested in trying out one of the non meat patties, most friends have said while improving immensely it still has a bit more to go before they would change over.
Youth is the gift of nature, while age is a work of art.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10286 posts
4734 upvotes
golferbowl wrote: Can you add "Cardinal Roadhouse" and Kirkland? ☺︎
I added info on 8 burgers I could find into the Beef chart :)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1848 posts
1063 upvotes
Edmonton
Costco sells these and its better deal at Costco. 12 pack for $15.99. The last time it was on sale was $12.99
[OP]
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10286 posts
4734 upvotes
dj_rice wrote: Costco sells these and its better deal at Costco. 12 pack for $15.99. The last time it was on sale was $12.99
They are on sale this week at Walmart for $5.97/6-pack so $11.94 for 12. Second time this summer for the sale. Have to grab them before the weekend is over though because they move fast. Check http://stocktrack.ca UPC 6059738300
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1848 posts
1063 upvotes
Edmonton
lecale wrote: They are on sale this week at Walmart for $5.97/6-pack so $11.94 for 12. Second time this summer for the sale. Have to grab them before the weekend is over though because they move fast. Check http://stocktrack.ca UPC 6059738300
I'm in Alberta. Its not on sale for us. So thats why the Costco deal is better