• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2019 2:32 pm
[OP]
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
69 posts
66 upvotes

Burger King rounding off pennies even when you use credit card

Got myself a Bacon King burger today, cost $10.38, used Visa, then I tried to record this expense in my excel file for personal finance, I noticed that on my credit card history, it showed a charge of $10.40. This is bloody stupid.
32 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12310 posts
1181 upvotes
Brampton
Did you get a paper receipt?
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
[OP]
Banned
Feb 12, 2019
69 posts
66 upvotes
Yeah paper receipt says 10.40, but the order number says 9.19+1.19 hst = 10.38, don't see the point of rounding since I'm paying with credit card.

Regardless, it's a minor annoyance, cause it would cause inaccuracy in my personal book.

I'm wasting time now by discussing it....
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4571 posts
2840 upvotes
Gotham
TheMeat wrote: Yeah paper receipt says 10.40, but the order number says 9.19+1.19 hst = 10.38, don't see the point of rounding since I'm paying with credit card.

Regardless, it's a minor annoyance, cause it would cause inaccuracy in my personal book.

I'm wasting time now by discussing it....
Yes it's pointless. Just email them and let them know.

It's probably some kid in India programming the POS system that didn't know about how the Canadian system is different between cash and electronic payment.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2696 posts
1360 upvotes
B.C.
I've noticed that places that have POS terminals that you need to manually enter the total in to tend to do shit like this.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1917 posts
1140 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
It's the Superman III scam.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2005
1650 posts
1351 upvotes
this reminds of the time I purchased a mouse from dell during one of their regular sales. They never shipped my order so they cancelled it - refunded my money BUT kept the enviro fee. It was a small amount like 30-40 cents. I complained a couple of times not for the amount, but due to the principal and they refused to refund the fee for an item they never sent.
Always hungry ;)
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
Office Space.

Someone at BK headquarters is now a billionaire.
May 11, 2018
62 posts
36 upvotes
k7k5t8
It doesn't balance out because menu items are specialy priced at round up points, 9.99-9.95
Things are never 9.91. unless with tax, the average is in favor of burger king.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10926 posts
13330 upvotes
Vancouver
BrandonT33909 wrote: It doesn't balance out because menu items are specialy priced at round up points, 9.99-9.95
Things are never 9.91. unless with tax, the average is in favor of burger king.
There is always tax on fast food items.

OP: Next time buy two of these $9.19 items. Total after HST is $20.77, which will round down. Pig out, get your 2¢ back!
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2015
1977 posts
1868 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
This is weird indeed, they should be charging the EXACT cost if you're paying by anything other than cash, in this case they are basically robbing. If they did this to say 1000 customers a day that is $20 in profit. Now for a year that would be $7,300 and that is just for 1 location, if they did this in 50 locations it would be $365,000 in profit that they are getting for no reason. But as the other poster said, if they are rounding down also, then it might balance out, but if not, then this is a scam.
😎Thanks RFD😎
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13902 posts
8994 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Notify MarketPlace!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8547 posts
2322 upvotes
Mississauga
blackbirdman wrote: This is weird indeed, they should be charging the EXACT cost if you're paying by anything other than cash, in this case they are basically robbing. If they did this to say 1000 customers a day that is $20 in profit. Now for a year that would be $7,300 and that is just for 1 location, if they did this in 50 locations it would be $365,000 in profit that they are getting for no reason. But as the other poster said, if they are rounding down also, then it might balance out, but if not, then this is a scam.
The scary part is you think 1,000 people go to Burger King every day.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9547 posts
3839 upvotes
Retailers are allowed to round all transaction totals the same as cash if they want to. I see no $0.02 BK GC in your future.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9547 posts
3839 upvotes
duderaf wrote: have any reference for this? i cant find any on the mint website https://www.mint.ca/store/mint/about-th ... ny-6900002
https://www.thestar.com/business/2013/0 ... seman.html
“Only cash transactions require rounding,” says Finance Canada’s website.

“Cheques and transactions using electronic payments — debit, credit and payments cards — do not need to be rounded, because they can be settled electronically to the exact amount.”

What if a retailer isn’t following the rules? Is the finance department fielding complaints?

The government is not policing penny rounding, a media contact told me. Market forces should prevail. Consumers can vote with their feet.

The Retail Council of Canada, an industry group, agreed with that statement. “Retailers have the right to round on any type of transaction, including debit and credit,” said Karen Proud, vice-president of federal government relations for the council.

“The government has issued guidelines for cash transactions, but these are guidelines only. They have left it up to retailers to choose how to implement this policy.”
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16246 posts
13540 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Dropped in here to read this Interesting thread... cuz of the title

Rounding Non-Cash Transactions in my mind IS JUST WRONG
Pretty much STEALING from their Customers a penny or two at a time
The government is not policing penny rounding, a media contact told me. Market forces should prevail. Consumers can vote with their feet.
Count me in that mix
I voted with my feet against BK a long time ago
Scuzzy fast food burger joint
So not that surprised if they are essentially cheating Customers with this loophole

Folks, take your cravings elsewhere ... you can do so much better

Time the creepy Burger King mascot died off with the rest of this chain anyhow
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bur ... 2000s).jpg

I don’t miss the burgers
But do miss the Kurger Bing of my youth
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bur ... r_Bing.jpg
That’s the last time, Burger King was actually a decent Burger joint