Food & Drink

Burger King USA is selling a burger made from cows on low-methane lemongrass diet

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2020 3:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 2, 2013
1959 posts
3960 upvotes
Bloor-Yonge

Burger King USA is selling a burger made from cows on low-methane lemongrass diet

unfortunately, not in Canada yet
JUL 14 2020

Burger King on Tuesday announced a hot new diet tip: 100 grams of lemongrass a day to keep the methane away.

The Restaurant Brands International chain is rolling out a Whopper patty made from cows on the low-methane diet. The limited-time offer burger will only be available at select locations in Miami, New York, Austin, Portland and Los Angeles.

Burger King worked with scientists from the Autonomous University at the State of Mexico and the University of California, Davis to tackle the environmental impact of beef. Livestock was responsible for 3.9% of U.S. global greenhouse gas emissions in 2018, according to the Environmental Protection Agency. Worldwide, that number is roughly 14.5%, according to the United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organization.

On average, the lemongrass diet reduces about a third of methane emissions per day during the last three or four months of the cow’s life, according to preliminary tests.

Concerns about climate change have led some consumers to reduce their overall meat intake and switch to eating meat alternatives occasionally. Nationwide, Burger King sells meatless burgers and sausage patties made by Impossible Foods. A report commissioned by the maker of plant-based meats in 2019 found that its burgers produced 89% fewer greenhouse gas emissions than a patty from cow’s beef.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/14/burger- ... -diet.html
20 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32856 posts
14576 upvotes
Well we don't even have Impossible yet, though granted this seems easier as it wouldn't need a bunch of gov't approvals as it's still beef in the end. But, Impossible is soy anyway so no big loss. Mind you Impossible tastes more like beef than any of the Beyond Meat, etc. plant-based burgers but yeahhh it's got soy :(
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36347 posts
10587 upvotes
Ottawa
How would meat from a fart free cow be better LOL

This has to get the award for the best marketing pitch of the decade LOL
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6557 posts
2763 upvotes
Montreal
Pete_Coach wrote: How would meat from a fart free cow be better LOL

This has to get the award for the best marketing pitch of the decade LOL
They're getting ripped on Twitter. They basically said "Hey, we're going to save the planet by making the cows we slaughter fart less" and everyone is responding "Maybe just don't serve meat in the first place?"
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36347 posts
10587 upvotes
Ottawa
psyko514 wrote: They're getting ripped on Twitter. They basically said "Hey, we're going to save the planet by making the cows we slaughter fart less" and everyone is responding "Maybe just don't serve meat in the first place?"
Don't do Twitter but I can surely see them getting ripped apart.
Ya gotta imagine that boardroom meeting , with all those corporate execs sitting around the table and having a serious discussion on how to make the cows fart less and sell that to the public as being a great thing for them. LOL..
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6557 posts
2763 upvotes
Montreal
Pete_Coach wrote: Don't do Twitter but I can surely see them getting ripped apart.
Ya gotta imagine that boardroom meeting , with all those corporate execs sitting around the table and having a serious discussion on how to make the cows fart less and sell that to the public as being a great thing for them. LOL..
And they approved this song too!

Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36347 posts
10587 upvotes
Ottawa
psyko514 wrote: And they approved this song too!

Holy Cow!!! What are they thinking??? Far and away, the absolutely best laugh of the year.

Here is another advertisement,
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2991 upvotes
i wonder if the beef tastes different with the lemongrass feed
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36347 posts
10587 upvotes
Ottawa
badOne wrote: i wonder if the beef tastes different with the lemongrass feed
It doesn't give you gas :)
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10152 posts
4544 upvotes
Toronto
why are the cows being fed the lemongrass only during the last 3-4 months of their life? a third reduction in that time is fine, but the results are much better in studies where seaweed has been used. algae/ seaweed feed reduces the gas emissions by up to 99%. another huge benefit is seaweed grows incredibly fast and absorbs a huge amount of CO2 so not only will it lessen the greenhouse gases produced by the cows it will also suck it up from the atmosphere. seaweed can also improve the nutritional profile of the beef depending on how much is fed to the cow.

...and 95% of a cow's methane emissions are the result of burping, not farting.
Last edited by ShoNuff2 on Jul 15th, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4380 upvotes
psyko514 wrote: And they approved this song too!
I think their April Fool's joke was postponed to July due to coronavirus.... that or BK really did just jump the shark
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Jul 15th, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49391 posts
12935 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
ShoNuff2 wrote: why are the cows being fed the lemongrass only during the last 3-4 months of their life? a third reduction in that time is fine, but the results are much better in studies where seaweed has been used. algae/ seaweed feed reduces the gas emissions by up to 99%. another huge benefit is seaweed grows incredibly fast and absorbs a huge amount of CO2 so not only will it lessen the greenhouse gases produced by the cows it will also suck it up from the atmosphere. seaweed can also improve the nutritional profile of the beef depending on how much is fed to the cow.

...and 95% of a cow's methane emissions are the resulting of burping, not farting.
How do you know these things
Do you farm?
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10152 posts
4544 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: How do you know these things
Do you farm?
i'm interested in studies that focus on minimizing harm, not on the inner workings of a farm.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1186 upvotes
badOne wrote: i wonder if the beef tastes different with the lemongrass feed
I doubt 100 grams a day will alter the taste of the meat .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28890 posts
14429 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Except for stupid paper strAws...
Seriously. I actually bought a bunch (200) of individually wrapped straws I chuck in the car now because paper straws are about the stupidest idea someone has ever had.

ES_Revenge wrote: Well we don't even have Impossible yet, though granted this seems easier as it wouldn't need a bunch of gov't approvals as it's still beef in the end. But, Impossible is soy anyway so no big loss. Mind you Impossible tastes more like beef than any of the Beyond Meat, etc. plant-based burgers but yeahhh it's got soy :(
Does it actually?
I was mildly impressed with Beyond tasting like those cheap filler burgers despite being all "filler" so if someone can top that I'd be impressed.
Pete_Coach wrote: How would meat from a fart free cow be better LOL
Why would less methane generation be a bad thing?
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
4745 posts
4380 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Why would less methane generation be a bad thing?
What is a bad thing is Burger King reheating burger patties in the microwave....
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36347 posts
10587 upvotes
Ottawa
death_hawk wrote: ....

Why would less methane generation be a bad thing?
Mellow out LOL.
Like someone already said, it was probably a delayed April Fools joke :)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
32856 posts
14576 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Seriously. I actually bought a bunch (200) of individually wrapped straws I chuck in the car now because paper straws are about the stupidest idea someone has ever had.
I dunno I don't think they are bad. They are only poor if you plan on keeping your drink a while in which case they will sogmaster.
death_hawk wrote: Does it actually?
I was mildly impressed with Beyond tasting like those cheap filler burgers despite being all "filler" so if someone can top that I'd be impressed.
I would say so, yeah. I dunno if it's BK's preparation but they've clearly added some kind of charcoal/smoke flavour to it for starters. I've not had it anywhere other than BK but it's probably the "closest to meat" I've tried. Though granted after I found out (while eating it actually lol) it was soy, I doubt I'll ever buy/eat it again so yeah. They put some kind of plant-based heme in it too which makes it more like meat. I mean these things are novel and all but not like I'm gonna stop eating beef. Will continue to eat Beyond from time to time but no plan on "switching" from meat or anything crazy like that :lol:
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2013
1556 posts
1870 upvotes
Scarborough
ES_Revenge wrote: I dunno I don't think they are bad. They are only poor if you plan on keeping your drink a while in which case they will sogmaster.
Upon taking the first sip with these paper straws, I can clearly notice the difference from how the paper just clings onto inside the lips because of its absorbency naturally, giving a very unpleasant aftertaste from the paper material with it starting its disintegration. It's not doing anything better than plastic.