• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2021 10:40 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 5, 2021
4 posts
4 upvotes

Burlington...which neighborhood

Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a home in Burlington, but am confused by all of the different neighborhoods. I am in the US right now and my family and I are planning on moving in July, because of the Coronavirus quarantine rules I cannot come and drive around and see the different neighborhoods. The priority for me is to be in a neighborhood that has a great elementary & secondary school, ideally schools that my kids can walk to. We'd also like to be close to trails or have greenery near us. My kids are 7 & 5, so will be going into 3rd grade & kindergarten. Ideally, I wanted to be near the Lake and south side, but it seems like the schools are a bit further in those areas. I like Orchard, Alton, and Headon Forest, any pros and cons on any of those areas.
Thanks, for your help!
4 replies
Jun 18, 2020
811 posts
673 upvotes
I don't know Burlington, but one thing you might not know is we have 2 public school systems here (well, more but I assume you don't speak French as a mother tongue).

We have the public school system and the catholic school system, both are fully publicly funded thus free. Same curriculum, same teacher requirements. Just one is attended by Catholics, if that's relevant to you.

You'd find the schools under Halton region. I assume something like Halton District school board and Halton Catholic district school board in google would bring the 2 boards up.

Any house will be attached to a school in both boards, so you might have one or the other be closer to a desired home listing.
May 9, 2018
73 posts
37 upvotes
I'm currently living in Burlington and have been here for 20 years or so.

Orchard (Lived here for most of my time in Burlington) & Alton would be considered newer areas, Houses here are generally smaller lots/yards with 2 story homes(detached, semis and towns). Orchard has lots of elementary schools both public and catholic, however only a Catholic high school(newest in the city). Orchard also backs onto the provincial park, lots of places to go for a walk.

Alton Village is still growing and building out it's schools however it does have a new public high school. not really any great walking parks, but the park by the high school is a good size.

Headon Forest has slightly older homes, on bigger lots, with more variance in house types (2 story, bungalows etc). There's lots of schools again and a catholic high school.

https://www.hcdsb.org/
https://www.hdsb.ca/Pages/Home.aspx

you can find out what schools your kids would attend based on address on the links above.

Generally speaking every neighbourhood in Burlington has easy to walk to elementary schools. High schools are more spread out in the city and depending on which board and where you live you might be taking a school bus.

Feel free to PM me with any questions or info you might be looking for, happy to help. I can relate to the complexities of moving with kids to a new country and not being able to do much other than online research in advance.
[OP]
Apr 5, 2021
4 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks for the information, I may reach out to you once we have narrowed things down a bit more.