Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Burton

Burton 30% off for healthcare workers, teachers and military

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2023 10:06 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2017
3798 posts
4014 upvotes
Toronto
BoomerDoomer wrote: Got verified as teacher, no problem.

What is the consensus on StepOns? And what's the difference between the models? The idea sounds amazing.

The StepOn binding + boot combo gonna be $1200+, but with 30%, this might be the price to get it... but i'm not sure if these are well reviewed or not.

Thanks, OP
Seem to be popular again. Looks like they made them equally as good as strap bindings or as close as possible. Last time they tried to drop something like this it never took off.
Apr 1, 2003
107 posts
76 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I just want to report back that none of the Step On bindings or boots are eligible for the 30%.

It works on boards and other bindings and boots.
Jul 15, 2005
322 posts
261 upvotes
Scarborough
BoomerDoomer wrote: Got verified as teacher, no problem.

What is the consensus on StepOns? And what's the difference between the models? The idea sounds amazing.

The StepOn binding + boot combo gonna be $1200+, but with 30%, this might be the price to get it... but i'm not sure if these are well reviewed or not.

Thanks, OP
Consensus is it fills a niche that works well enough. There are limitations with it (adjustability, transfer of power/force). The biggest caveat beyond price is you’re stuck in their ecosystem, so if their boots don’t fit you or if you want to change it up, you’re outta luck. Btw, boots that fit well will determine majority of your happiness on the hill. If you invest in anything it’s the item closest to your body which is properly fitted boots. Stay away from ruler boots for step on. Minimum would be photon and make sure they fit well for your foot shape/size.

If you’re stuck on east coast with small runs, I 100% understand the appeal of these, OR if you have a group of friends that are skiers and you don’t want to keep them waiting. For me, the convenience of gaining 5-10s strapping in is pretty negligible so I opted for highly customizable bindings (Rome Katanas) that should last a decade.
Nov 27, 2019
317 posts
1338 upvotes
Lethbridge
Proteinz wrote: Consensus is it fills a niche that works well enough. There are limitations with it (adjustability, transfer of power/force).
Cool, thanks for the info.

I've always worn Burton boots, and the fit and comfort have been awesome. I wonder if that means the StepOn also have a good chance of being a good fit.

One of the main reasons I'm thinking of the Step Ons is my back. The constant bending over to strap and un-strap really bothers me at the end of the day. The other thing is that my three kids are just starting to learn to ride, I need to frequently stop and help them out on the slopes. Right now half the time I'm coming down without even strapping in the back foot, because it is just a matter of minutes before I have to skate over to one of them, or entirely unstrap and go uphill on foot for one of them who needs help. I'm thinking these Step Ons will help with that.

I'm a recreational non-ambitious rider, sticking with blue runs (the BC kind of blue, not the bunny hills in the rest of the world calls blue). Honestly, the nuances of power transfer, stiffness, and all that is entirely lost on me. As long as I can do basic turns, I'll be happy.
Jul 22, 2009
464 posts
480 upvotes
Oakville
Proteinz wrote: Consensus is it fills a niche that works well enough. There are limitations with it (adjustability, transfer of power/force). The biggest caveat beyond price is you’re stuck in their ecosystem, so if their boots don’t fit you or if you want to change it up, you’re outta luck. Btw, boots that fit well will determine majority of your happiness on the hill. If you invest in anything it’s the item closest to your body which is properly fitted boots. Stay away from ruler boots for step on. Minimum would be photon and make sure they fit well for your foot shape/size.

If you’re stuck on east coast with small runs, I 100% understand the appeal of these, OR if you have a group of friends that are skiers and you don’t want to keep them waiting. For me, the convenience of gaining 5-10s strapping in is pretty negligible so I opted for highly customizable bindings (Rome Katanas) that should last a decade.
FYI dc has boots that fit into the Burton system as well. But yes, you’re still stuck in the ecosystem that means your boot needs to pair with a Burton binding or else be absolutely useless.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6877 posts
1032 upvotes
Calgary
ordered the ruler boots, my old moto boots are pretty worn out now. thanks op!
Last edited by markj on Jan 14th, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 15, 2005
322 posts
261 upvotes
Scarborough
BoomerDoomer wrote: Cool, thanks for the info.

I've always worn Burton boots, and the fit and comfort have been awesome. I wonder if that means the StepOn also have a good chance of being a good fit.

One of the main reasons I'm thinking of the Step Ons is my back. The constant bending over to strap and un-strap really bothers me at the end of the day. The other thing is that my three kids are just starting to learn to ride, I need to frequently stop and help them out on the slopes. Right now half the time I'm coming down without even strapping in the back foot, because it is just a matter of minutes before I have to skate over to one of them, or entirely unstrap and go uphill on foot for one of them who needs help. I'm thinking these Step Ons will help with that.

I'm a recreational non-ambitious rider, sticking with blue runs (the BC kind of blue, not the bunny hills in the rest of the world calls blue). Honestly, the nuances of power transfer, stiffness, and all that is entirely lost on me. As long as I can do basic turns, I'll be happy.
Ah makes sense, sounds like the step ons would be a great fit for your needs then. Too bad they aren’t included in this sale, they might go on sale end of season with different retailers in March though.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
5602 posts
2551 upvotes
Kitchener
Ordered the Mission bindings and went through GCR for 2% cashback.

Unfortunately, the only colour left in stock for medium was the one with the dogs which has downgraded (?) forward lean adjust.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Dec 12, 2018
112 posts
157 upvotes
BoomerDoomer wrote: Cool, thanks for the info.

You still have to bend over to release yourself from a step on just like a traditional ratcheting strap binding, just on the high back instead of on the 2 straps. If you want something easy to get in and out of, take a look at the Nidecker Supermatic. You set it up like a traditional binding, but strap in is similar to a Flow binding in that it becomes a reverse entry, but really a very well done set up from what I've read and seen in videos. You also maintain the support of a traditional high back with proper tension (which will also be good for your back) instead of the more loose style high back of a Flow reverse entry with the high back supported only by a pivot point and a cable.

Not only that, but you're not stuck to the Burton ecosystem if you decide it's not your style, and you can run whatever boots you enjoy whether they're Burton or otherwise. Personally I never liked the step on bindings because you are 100% committed to that system if you buy in, and you're committed to another big purchase if you decide you want out of it. Also there's my constant looming fear that they'll just let go of my boots because there's really not a whole lot holding you in. The lacking sense of security for me is a real thing.

There's so many other manufacturers out there now making good products that are not only generally more affordable than Burton, but also of equal if not better quality (keeping my previous post here and personal opinions aside). I switched to Vans boots years ago after running nothing but Burton and have never looked back. The quality and comfort difference on those alone 10 years ago was enough to win my loyalty. I seriously considered the Nideckers this year to give a reverse entry binding a shot again, but ended up going with a Jones binding to try out the Now Skate Tech that they're using. I ride with a few buddies who run Flow bindings and I've never been the guy the group (or skiers in the group for that matter) are waiting for. I can see Step On bindings being quicker than the traditional system, sure, but I'm never truly rushing to get my bindings done up and I'm never behind, regardless of whether I'm riding east coast quick runs or doing big days out in the Rockies.
Jun 6, 2018
128 posts
250 upvotes
Thundercloud wrote: Ordered the Mission bindings and went through GCR for 2% cashback.

Unfortunately, the only colour left in stock for medium was the one with the dogs which has downgraded (?) forward lean adjust.
how do u know its downgraded?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 17, 2005
5602 posts
2551 upvotes
Kitchener
YJZSIX wrote: how do u know its downgraded?
Every other binding except the cheapest Freestyle model and the Mission model in Good Company colour uses a Dial adjustment system.

It probably doesn't make much of a difference and the lever system is probably more durable.
This space is intentionally left blank.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
4024 posts
2374 upvotes
Ottawa
are there any snow pants that are a little roomy? I like to wear padding for my butt and knees. I busted the seams on my older pair of snow pants.

I wish burton also made bindings like flo. I really want to try those kind out.
Jul 22, 2009
464 posts
480 upvotes
Oakville
eugene188 wrote: are there any snow pants that are a little roomy? I like to wear padding for my butt and knees. I busted the seams on my older pair of snow pants.

I wish burton also made bindings like flo. I really want to try those kind out.
Just size up.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2010
4024 posts
2374 upvotes
Ottawa
LezOLee wrote: Just size up.
I did that before and the pant legs were super long.
Jul 22, 2009
464 posts
480 upvotes
Oakville
eugene188 wrote: I did that before and the pant legs were super long.
For some of their more popular pants (e.g. the ballast), they offer it in long and short inseams. In those cases, you could size up but go for the shorter inseam.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
Proteinz wrote: Stay away from ruler boots for step on. Minimum would be photon and make sure they fit well for your foot shape/size.
What's wrong with the Ruler boots? Good reviews and reasonably priced for entry level step ons.
Jul 15, 2005
322 posts
261 upvotes
Scarborough
chadw01 wrote: What's wrong with the Ruler boots? Good reviews and reasonably priced for entry level step ons.
Nothing “wrong” with them but not ideal for step ons. The rulers were actually one of my first boots from burton.

The main issue is they are the lowest in terms of stiffness and they only get looser and flexy over time. Trust me, it won’t take long to break them in. Once you do, response will be a problem and you have no traditional ankle binding strap to mitigate that loss of control. At the very least, the photon has an ankle strap to create some leverage which is why I recommended it as the baseline. That loss of stiffness ends up translating to less control and sloppier riding.

Not bashing the ruler, especially if you already have a pair, I’m just speaking from experience from actually using them and running it through the gauntlet.
Mar 27, 2007
148 posts
168 upvotes
Delta
Thanks OP, was able to get the bindings I was eyeing for black friday and boxing day at a way better discount. Also got husband an ak jacket at a decent price.
Jun 6, 2018
128 posts
250 upvotes
arklui wrote: Thanks OP, was able to get the bindings I was eyeing for black friday and boxing day at a way better discount. Also got husband an ak jacket at a decent price.
Nice no problem.

Btw what bindings did you get? Just trying to figure out which bindings work with the coupon and which ones dont
Jul 17, 2020
56 posts
55 upvotes
Thanks op. Perfect timing, our toddlers need to size up their snowboard boots. Damn they grow fast, but this definitely helps!

Verification took about 10mins with my healthcare id.