Careers

Business Analyst Salary?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2020 11:50 am
Jan 30, 2008
881 posts
425 upvotes

Business Analyst Salary?

Is anyone here a Business Analyst and open to sharing their salary (better yet, salary progression)? What is your current position within your role's hierarchy?
18 replies
Aug 5, 2017
184 posts
92 upvotes
"Business analyst" is way too vague and the title doesn't mean much
Jan 30, 2008
881 posts
425 upvotes
dante01 wrote: "Business analyst" is way too vague and the title doesn't mean much
To clarify, I mean those who are in roles most closely aligned to the "official" practice of business analysis, regardless of title. However, I'm more interested in those who work in organizations where this is a distinct role.

https://www.iiba.org/professional-devel ... -analysis/
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1982 posts
298 upvotes
Markham
I may be able to help you with this (I can count it as "mentorship" towards my recertification lol). I've made a couple progressions in this job title in the last several years. Feel free to PM me.

Salary can vary greatly even in the traditional BA role (because as mentioned, the responsibilities and skills can vary quite a bit...it also depends on the industry and company). See what you can see in this report: https://go.iiba.org/2019/global-ba-sala ... aphic-2019. I'm not an active (paid) member of IIBA right now and I didn't want to sign my email up to see the report.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41798 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
Starting salary out of school at the BoC is around $52k.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12348 posts
5403 upvotes
yea around $50K or so out of school, if you do land a BA role don't get stuck being a paper pusher, learn the technology - all of it. Not easy but the good ones really stand out and can make quite alot of money, as much as the most accomplished developers.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
2042 posts
2338 upvotes
blexann wrote: yea around $50K or so out of school, if you do land a BA role don't get stuck being a paper pusher, learn the technology - all of it. Not easy but the good ones really stand out and can make quite alot of money, as much as the most accomplished developers.
Agree, Really good BAs are hard to come by but worth spending the money if you can find one.
Jun 8, 2020
42 posts
21 upvotes
Business analyst (entry level) 50k
Sr business analyst 60-70k
Consultant 70-85k
Sr Consultant 85k+
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1982 posts
298 upvotes
Markham
Supermantd wrote: Business analyst (entry level) 50k
Consultant 70-85k
Sr Consultant 85k+
This is all pretty much on the low end. Each of these roles can pull in double these figures. There's also management opportunities above Sr. BA that vary in salary, but likely start at your Sr. Consultant range. It just varies too much by industry/experience/role.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5243 posts
3520 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Starting salary out of school at the BoC is around $52k.
That's Ottawa salary. In Toronto that won't buy starbucks twice daily.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41798 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
bhrm wrote: That's Ottawa salary. In Toronto that won't buy starbucks twice daily.
New grad isn't going to have a $1M mortgage... they'll survive easily with that salary anywhere in Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5243 posts
3520 upvotes
Supermantd wrote: Business analyst (entry level) 50k
Consultant 70-85k
Sr Consultant 85k+
Not sure for what city or industry that is but from what I have recruited for in Toronto in recent years, in finance/insurance world

Junior BA, fresh grad up to 2 years exp: $55 to $65
Experienced BA with 2-5 years exp: $65-85
Senior BA with 5-10 years but not manager: $85-105

LIke other said, really good BAs will have excellent project management skills, now design thinking, UX, master tools like MS Sharepoint, PowerBI, MS Project, Flow, and be able to command audiences and build consensus, elicit feedback, etc.

Then there's some truly useless BA's....
Deal Fanatic
Jul 13, 2009
5243 posts
3520 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: New grad isn't going to have a $1M mortgage... they'll survive easily with that salary anywhere in Canada.
Anywhere but Toronto.

Once in a while, I browse Ottawa real estate listings lol.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41798 posts
30054 upvotes
Center of Universe
bhrm wrote: Anywhere but Toronto.

Yes, we get more for our money here in Ottawa.
I'm lol'ing everyday that I can own 3 properties in highly sought after neighborhoods.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
2042 posts
2338 upvotes
bhrm wrote: Not sure for what city or industry that is but from what I have recruited for in Toronto in recent years, in finance/insurance world

Junior BA, fresh grad up to 2 years exp: $55 to $65
Experienced BA with 2-5 years exp: $65-85
Senior BA with 5-10 years but not manager: $85-105

LIke other said, really good BAs will have excellent project management skills, now design thinking, UX, master tools like MS Sharepoint, PowerBI, MS Project, Flow, and be able to command audiences and build consensus, elicit feedback, etc.

Then there's some truly useless BA's....
Worked with a Snr BA who was north of $125K but she had no interest in moving into management so they extended the bands for her but she was top notch and the company was known for taking very good care of their staff.

BAs have a tough job and really good ones are hard to come by.
Dec 10, 2004
842 posts
103 upvotes
YEG
Junior BA right out of school (0 yrs experience)- $48k
Business Systems Advisor/BA (2 yrs experience) - $60k
Business Analyst (4 yrs experience) - $80k
Sr Business Analyst (10 yrs experience - $107k

That's my path. All public sector
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2006
2091 posts
976 upvotes
Scarborough
IT BA intern (0 years exp) - about minimum wage lol
IT BA full time (1-3 years) - 60k - 75k
IT BA (1 yr contract) - $70/hr so about 140k
IT BA full time (forced to convert to full time) - 84k
IT BA full time (different industry) - 100k

Bonuses and other incentives not mentioned above.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2017
1055 posts
923 upvotes
Toronto
bhrm wrote: Anywhere but Toronto.

I'm surviving in Toronto with a 55k salary. It's a tough grind but possible.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2006
1982 posts
298 upvotes
Markham
If you are adventurous enough to seek out jobs in medium sized companies that are not banks, retail companies, or large corporations then you may be able to command a premium as your career advances. It will involve more work and have less structure, but you get more control and development in the long run. It could be a better track than public sector.

I went from mid-50s in retail in 2015, made a horizontal move for an extra 20k that same year, promotion to Senior in 2016 (+20k), promotion to management in 2018 (+25k). Bonuses can double and other compensation (RRSP match, profit sharing, vacation days) increase as you progress too.