Careers

Business Card Credentials. MBA. CMA. Bachelor of Commerce????

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2011 11:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2005
1360 posts
112 upvotes
Those who appear to try hard on their business cards are usually trying hard for a reason ;)

While it may impress the younger audience, i'm more concerned with the company and position.

But if you're young and need to compete with other equally as competitive people who will likely be loading their resumes and business cards with all the credentials they can think of, then you might as well have to just play at that level.

One option you could do is put the mba and cma designation, but don't use it until you've achieved those.
Jun 16, 2010
297 posts
12 upvotes
ultrahigh9 wrote: Hi

I am planning on getting a business card.

I am gunna be a MBA, CMA candidate within 6 months. There is also a huge sale for high quality multi color business cards. I will be saving about 75 percent or almost 50 bucks. So i want to make them in advance.

This card is for work/personal and Im also planning to start a microbusiness within in 1 to 2 years. I have enough cash and financial credit and business contacts. Its just not the time for me now. But soon! It is related to Consulting and Business Development

I am thinking that i should do this...

John Doe, MBA, CMA (Candidate)
Accountant

OR

John Doe, MBA, CMA (Candidate)
Management Accountant

The "managment accountant" part makes it look more attractive. If people google managment accountant. they would think that I might be a position to give them good advice. since managment accountants provide managers advice..

And ignore my B.Comm. Otherwise it would look like this.

John Doe MBA, CMA, (Candidate) B.Comm
Accountant

Let me know what you think

Im seeking opinions from average joes to accountants and other professonals.

ROFL - whatever you do, make sure you keep the 'b.comm', even better, make sure you put what school in brackets. On a serious note, I work for a F500, with dozens of CMA/CA/MBA/ETCs... and have yet to see a SINGLE one put those credentials behind their name. Established professionals let their performance and competence speak.
Jun 16, 2010
297 posts
12 upvotes
slippkapone wrote: ROFL - whatever you do, make sure you keep the 'b.comm', even better, make sure you put what school in brackets. On a serious note, I work for a F500, with dozens of CMA/CA/MBA/ETCs... and have yet to see a SINGLE one put those credentials behind their name. Established professionals let their performance and competence speak.

BTW, i have a BBA and am a CMA candidate, I wouldnt think for a second of putting either on a business card.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2009
2085 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
slippkapone wrote: ROFL - whatever you do, make sure you keep the 'b.comm', even better, make sure you put what school in brackets. On a serious note, I work for a F500, with dozens of CMA/CA/MBA/ETCs... and have yet to see a SINGLE one put those credentials behind their name. Established professionals let their performance and competence speak.

You know the one exception to this?

Ph.D
You can put it down regardless of the position you're in lol.
Nov 30, 2010
9 posts
canada
Personally, I would only add professional designations on a business card. However, which credentials you use should be inline with what is typical in the industry you are targeting. For service-based industries, such as banking and consulting, listing your credentials on a business card is more common than in other industries.

Do not put partial degrees or designations on a business card. Someone asked earlier if you could put "CFA candidate" on your business card - No you can't as doing so would breach the CFA code of standards. I'm not sure if CMA has a similar standard.
Jul 28, 2005
245 posts
10 upvotes
Toronto
bavarianboy wrote: What if you passed all three level of the CFA exams, but lack the work experience? Wouldn't it be suitable to put CFA Candidate?

Big no.
Sep 28, 2010
46 posts
4 upvotes
ummmm how about none of the above and just

John Doe
[contact info]

Or better yet, no business cards. You are one of the gazzillion students out there. Nobody is going to take your business card, remember, and then proactively contact you for a job. In fact, they'll probably toss it right after the event as they're grabbing a beer while making fun of all the students, especially the ones with MBA-CMA candidate on their cards. Any "networking" onus will be on you, it will be you who takes their card and contacts them to follow up. Any contact from them will be from a submitted CV.

And no it doesn't look good to have one, in fact unnecessary even bare bones, and would be total cheese if you added "candidate" letters. And did I read that right, give you potential dates? Are you kidding??? :lol:

If you start your own microbusiness then that's a different issue, you'll have a separate card for that.
Deal Addict
Jun 4, 2006
2069 posts
50 upvotes
tylaw83 wrote: You know the one exception to this?

Ph.D
You can put it down regardless of the position you're in lol.

Exactly or LLB/MD. Otherwise it looks douchey.

To that point, I know people who finished their CA/CMA and put it on there, looks douchey but acceptable. But for love of lord, do not put canditate/bcomm/mba no one cares or gives a ****.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2007
1133 posts
48 upvotes
Markham
definitely do not put "CMA (Candidate)"

you havent earned it yet. also, when you add (candidate) to your business card, it makes me wonder 'where do you draw the line'? thats like a kid who's waiting to hear back from a law school application and he puts on his business card:

John Smith, BComm, JD (Candidate).

It's hard for me to distinguish- is he close to completing his law degree, or is he just "planning" to go to law school. there shouldn't be a grey area. it should be black and white.

put CMA when you earned it- period.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5074 posts
932 upvotes
Peterborough
I'm also sure the CMA association will NOT let someone use those letters after their name unless they HAVE the designation. Besides that, it looks horrible, wannabe like.

As for using a degree, that is fine as long as it relevant to the position one holds.

E.g. John Doe, M.Acc., C.A. is Better than John Doe, B.Sci., C.A. I wouldn't even use the second one.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2009
2085 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
dutchca wrote: I'm also sure the CMA association will NOT let someone use those letters after their name unless they HAVE the designation. Besides that, it looks horrible, wannabe like.

As for using a degree, that is fine as long as it relevant to the position one holds.

E.g. John Doe, M.Acc., C.A. is Better than John Doe, B.Sci., C.A. I wouldn't even use the second one.

Actually no it isn't. M.Acc. is a worthless degree. We're not talking about tax. Why the hell would you need a M.Acc. when you have a CA???

Putting down M.Acc. is just pure stupidity. However, a CA who works in a biotech company COULD argue putting B.Sc. is useful for letting his clients know his background.

Please don't pull stuff out your *ss