Students

Business: Insurance OR Real Property Administration at Seneca?

[OP]
Apr 16, 2014
127 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto

Business: Insurance OR Real Property Administration at Seneca?

Hello guys,

I have finished high school about a year ago and i took this year off to "find myself", so i far, i still don't know what i want to do but i know i like interacting with people. So sales is something i been doing for years and i like it. My weakest subject in high school was math mainly. and since i did poorly in math in high school and i took this year off, how hard would it be for me to take those courses above that requires me to do some level of math?

http://www.senecacollege.ca/fulltime/RPA.html#layer9

http://www.senecacollege.ca/fulltime/BIN.html#fees

Those are the two courses i been looking into. Which one do you think is more high in demand? I know Real Property Administration doesn't have courses all year round so its less in demand right? who here will recommend these programs ? Need some help about these programs from people who took them or know more about them.

Thank you!!
14 replies
Mar 22, 2013
5 posts
2 upvotes
I am only going by what I have been told about the insurance industry through my fiancé who is in his second year at Mohawk College. He thoroughly enjoys the program and has passed his first 2 CIPs of the 10 he will take. Of the two you mentioned I believe that Insurance would be more in demand. At my fiance's school there were several students in semester 3 and 4 who had jobs before graduation. There are plenty of options with the insurance diploma. You can sell insurance, do claims, underwriting, be a broker, there are plenty of options. It will help your career if you write the CIPs (the Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation). He was told in his program, as the Insurance Institute forecasts, that a lot of the people in the industry are set to retire, as it says on Seneca's website as well. This was due to a big boom in the industry in the 80s. On the math note, He only needed to pass one course of math and I guess an accounting course in his first semester and he was successful after being out of high school for 5 years and hadn't even looked at math since then. The college will have lots of help and peer tutors to ensure you are successful.
I think more people in the program would have a better description for you as I am only going by what my fiancé has experienced. Good luck on your choice, as you are the only one who can decide. :)

Here is an article on future job outlook.
http://www.macleans.ca/work/jobs/the-fu ... in-canada/
[OP]
Apr 16, 2014
127 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
mssarah17 wrote: I am only going by what I have been told about the insurance industry through my fiancé who is in his second year at Mohawk College. He thoroughly enjoys the program and has passed his first 2 CIPs of the 10 he will take. Of the two you mentioned I believe that Insurance would be more in demand. At my fiance's school there were several students in semester 3 and 4 who had jobs before graduation. There are plenty of options with the insurance diploma. You can sell insurance, do claims, underwriting, be a broker, there are plenty of options. It will help your career if you write the CIPs (the Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation). He was told in his program, as the Insurance Institute forecasts, that a lot of the people in the industry are set to retire, as it says on Seneca's website as well. This was due to a big boom in the industry in the 80s. On the math note, He only needed to pass one course of math and I guess an accounting course in his first semester and he was successful after being out of high school for 5 years and hadn't even looked at math since then. The college will have lots of help and peer tutors to ensure you are successful.
I think more people in the program would have a better description for you as I am only going by what my fiancé has experienced. Good luck on your choice, as you are the only one who can decide. :)

Here is an article on future job outlook.
http://www.macleans.ca/work/jobs/the-fu ... in-canada/
Thank you for your reply! i already kinda sense the amount of hours ill be sitting trying to study for my math and accounting exams :rolleyes: really hate to do math that is not everyday essential ...

Either way i think i just might apply to Seneca for the insurance program maybe in the winter time based on your fiance's experience. Thank you actually helped me a lot on this!
Jul 10, 2013
10 posts
1 upvote
Markham
I'm currently in the RPA program. If you're just coming out of high school and attempting this program, you might want to reconsider because 40% of the people in first semester dropped out. All students coming out of high school dropped out. The majority of the people in the regular stream already have some sort of education or are mature students.

The courses themselves aren't that easy, almost half of the courses are from UBC and they use the actual UBC textbooks and final exams. As for the math, the Mortgage Underwriting course from the first semester is math intensive (mainly just understanding the concepts and the calculator) and so is the Income Investment Analysis course from the second semester.

If you want more in-depth information on the course material and specific topics they cover, check out the course outlines from the UBC website itself, I'll provide some of the links:
RPA112 Appraisal of Real Estate: http://www.sauder.ubc.ca/Programs/Real_ ... s/BUSI_330
RPA115 Mortgage Underwriting: http://www.sauder.ubc.ca/Programs/Real_ ... s/BUSI_121
RPA212 Real Estate Investment Analysis: http://webcontent.sauder.ubc.ca/Program ... s/BUSI_331
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12204 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
i am recent grad for that program
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure

3000th post Dec 28 07 9:58pm
10,000 post Jan 17 2011 9:45pm
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12204 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
pegon95 wrote: Which one?
the seneca business insurance

[OP]
Apr 16, 2014
127 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Aznkid2000 wrote: the seneca business insurance
Really? care to share your opinions about the course and what i should expect once i stat and finish it? Thank you!
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12204 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
ok let see, this program actually wasn't my choice. I did a different program at Seneca before and didn't like it so kind of randomly picked this one.

The program is two years, with core subjects being CIP courses and mix of some english, math, economic, etc subjects in there. In your first semester you would only be taking a intro class.

By the time you graduate you should have 7 CIP course out of the ten, if you plan to purse the CIP designation. The course involves a lot of memorizing especially for the national exam, they basically want word for word from the textbook.

Your CIP classes would mostly be 8am, 2 days a week due to your instructors having full time job in the industry and teaching on the side. Those in the CIP class are pretty much all gonna be together from beginning to end.

I am kind of just going on about school life but if there is something specific then feel free to ask

[OP]
Apr 16, 2014
127 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Aznkid2000 wrote: ok let see, this program actually wasn't my choice. I did a different program at Seneca before and didn't like it so kind of randomly picked this one.

The program is two years, with core subjects being CIP courses and mix of some english, math, economic, etc subjects in there. In your first semester you would only be taking a intro class.

By the time you graduate you should have 7 CIP course out of the ten, if you plan to purse the CIP designation. The course involves a lot of memorizing especially for the national exam, they basically want word for word from the textbook.

Your CIP classes would mostly be 8am, 2 days a week due to your instructors having full time job in the industry and teaching on the side. Those in the CIP class are pretty much all gonna be together from beginning to end.

I am kind of just going on about school life but if there is something specific then feel free to ask
Was it worth it in the end? is there any excitement knowing you just finished the program and you can find a high paying job? Also how hard are the courses and which one is the hardest? anything i should look out for ? i know its a lot of questions aha but there is just so much on my mind that i want to ask
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12204 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
i kind of screwed up and applied to jobs late, so i didn't find work yet. Its definitely a interesting field with many options to explore if you don't like what your doing. I believe the hardest course for CIP would be property which you start in second semester. Besides that i find economics a challenge, not my strong point.

I would recommend you network and get on your instructors good side, they can give you reference and jobs.

You will see your teacher teaching other CIP throughout the program. Also you have to buy your textbook from insurance institute, its about 150$ per course and another 100$ or so for the exam

[OP]
Apr 16, 2014
127 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
Aznkid2000 wrote: i kind of screwed up and applied to jobs late, so i didn't find work yet. Its definitely a interesting field with many options to explore if you don't like what your doing. I believe the hardest course for CIP would be property which you start in second semester. Besides that i find economics a challenge, not my strong point.

I would recommend you network and get on your instructors good side, they can give you reference and jobs.

You will see your teacher teaching other CIP throughout the program. Also you have to buy your textbook from insurance institute, its about 150$ per course and another 100$ or so for the exam
What career paths can you take once you finish this program (agent, broker, adjuster etc')? Was it ever brought up how much do you can start making annually approx on after your done ur program?
Feb 22, 2007
16 posts
1 upvote
I am going to bump this old thread

Which path is better when pursuing the CIP?

Taking it directly with the Institute or taking an Insurance Management certificate from a college like Centennial or Humber?

Right now, I am looking at the Insurance Management certificate from those two colleges but it seems they have more courses to take than required. For example, Centennial has 12 courses in total and 7 of them are CIP courses. Does anyone know if after completing this certificate, the CIP courses taken at the college will be recognized by the Insitute? When I go to the colleges' websites, they don't even show the time of the courses so that leads me to assume that they don't have those courses often due to low enrolment?

Anyone have experience with this?
Apr 23, 2019
8 posts
1 upvote
HontoERap wrote: I am going to bump this old thread

Which path is better when pursuing the CIP?

Taking it directly with the Institute or taking an Insurance Management certificate from a college like Centennial or Humber?

Right now, I am looking at the Insurance Management certificate from those two colleges but it seems they have more courses to take than required. For example, Centennial has 12 courses in total and 7 of them are CIP courses. Does anyone know if after completing this certificate, the CIP courses taken at the college will be recognized by the Insitute? When I go to the colleges' websites, they don't even show the time of the courses so that leads me to assume that they don't have those courses often due to low enrolment?

Anyone have experience with this?

Hi,
I hope people are still visiting this thread...
I applied for the insurance Management program at Centennial and got acceptance letter. But still not sure to accept it.
Can anyone tell me pros and cons of insurance management? And career outlook for next 10yrs?
Thanks in advance.
Oct 13, 2010
598 posts
96 upvotes
I too would like to hear more about Senecas insurance program.