Home & Garden

Butcher Block Countertop

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 29th, 2016 8:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2006
2801 posts
1543 upvotes
Barrie

Butcher Block Countertop

Does anyone have an recommendations for getting a custom sized butcher block counter top?

I have contacted knottys here in the GTA but they don't seem to be operating right now. Phone goes straight to VM and emails are unanswered.

I have contacted lumber liquidators but they do not do custom sizes and would require rework on my prat for their products

I have been to Ikea but their solid wood countertops nor their laminate wood island butcher blocks come in custom sizes and do not fit my island.

Anyone else had any luck out there? Here are the specs I am after.

Material: Walnut (mainly dark with cream/white veins)
Thickness: 1.5”
Width: 28.5”
Length: 70”
Edge Profile: Bevel on four sides
Finish: Food safe oil/wax/other food safe type
Grain Selection: Edge Grain
11 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
17211 posts
19111 upvotes
Oakville
Posting just to subscribe, because that's the only way this dumb new forum works.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4315 posts
1582 upvotes
WFH
RunnerForDeals wrote: Does anyone have an recommendations for getting a custom sized butcher block counter top?

I have contacted knottys here in the GTA but they don't seem to be operating right now. Phone goes straight to VM and emails are unanswered.
Maybe this is why?
"We will be closed Friday Aug. 26 & Saturday Aug 27th"
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2006
2801 posts
1543 upvotes
Barrie
dirtmover wrote:
RunnerForDeals wrote: Does anyone have an recommendations for getting a custom sized butcher block counter top?

I have contacted knottys here in the GTA but they don't seem to be operating right now. Phone goes straight to VM and emails are unanswered.
Maybe this is why?
"We will be closed Friday Aug. 26 & Saturday Aug 27th"
Thanks for pointing that out though I have been trying to connect with them since August 19th via both telephone and email.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1144 posts
332 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Bookmarked a few websites from a few years ago because I was looking as well. I went with Ikea in the end because I bought their island system and it was dirt cheap.

Knotty was one of them, the other was highqualitycuttingboards.com and they seem to be out of business. Another recommendation was Exotic Woods in Burlington. Good luck.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
2306 posts
1534 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
You do realize that the table finished is approximately 20 board feet? You may need close to two times that just to get to a finished state. The individual strips you would have would only be about 1.5 " wide. The wood itself is $10.50 per board foot and it would have to be 8/4 lumber in order to get the edge grain (1/4 sawn) to the surface.

Your best bet may be to contact a lumber supplier and get a referral from that person. None of the suppliers I see in your area (Barrie) advertise Walnut, however you can call BCW Lumber in Brantford (519 770-3460) or WoodSource in Ottawa (855.822.6800)

Incidentally why walnut? Other than the looks it is extremely soft for use as a butcher block?
“Don’t irritate old people. The older they get, the less “Life in prison” is a deterrent."
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2006
2801 posts
1543 upvotes
Barrie
rcmpvet wrote: You do realize that the table finished is approximately 20 board feet? You may need close to two times that just to get to a finished state. The individual strips you would have would only be about 1.5 " wide. The wood itself is $10.50 per board foot and it would have to be 8/4 lumber in order to get the edge grain (1/4 sawn) to the surface.

Your best bet may be to contact a lumber supplier and get a referral from that person. None of the suppliers I see in your area (Barrie) advertise Walnut, however you can call BCW Lumber in Brantford (519 770-3460) or WoodSource in Ottawa (855.822.6800)

Incidentally why walnut? Other than the looks it is extremely soft for use as a butcher block?
No I don't realize that at all. I have no idea what goes in to making one of these that is why I want to buy one already completed. I also know it isn't going to be cheap, I am not looking for cheap (though I get it I am on RFD) I am looking for a good quality at a good price.

Thanks for the suggestions on places to try. I will look in to them.

We chose walnut because it is a beautiful wood and contrasts our kitchen colors amazingly. It is also around the 1000 lbf on the Janka scale which is enough for our needs. We have cutting boards we will still use and will not be actually "chopping" on it. The ocasional cutting sure, but not heavy chopping.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4926 posts
6311 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RunnerForDeals wrote:
rcmpvet wrote: You do realize that the table finished is approximately 20 board feet? You may need close to two times that just to get to a finished state. The individual strips you would have would only be about 1.5 " wide. The wood itself is $10.50 per board foot and it would have to be 8/4 lumber in order to get the edge grain (1/4 sawn) to the surface.

Your best bet may be to contact a lumber supplier and get a referral from that person. None of the suppliers I see in your area (Barrie) advertise Walnut, however you can call BCW Lumber in Brantford (519 770-3460) or WoodSource in Ottawa (855.822.6800)

Incidentally why walnut? Other than the looks it is extremely soft for use as a butcher block?
No I don't realize that at all. I have no idea what goes in to making one of these that is why I want to buy one already completed. I also know it isn't going to be cheap, I am not looking for cheap (though I get it I am on RFD) I am looking for a good quality at a good price.

Thanks for the suggestions on places to try. I will look in to them.

We chose walnut because it is a beautiful wood and contrasts our kitchen colors amazingly. It is also around the 1000 lbf on the Janka scale which is enough for our needs. We have cutting boards we will still use and will not be actually "chopping" on it. The ocasional cutting sure, but not heavy chopping.

Even dropping hard objects(think ceramic bowls, serving plates) on it will create small dents which will look ugly over time. I just don't see how a soft wood like walnut will hold up in a kitchen. Unless this is a kitchen "for show" and you don't actually intend on cooking.
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
911 upvotes
Toronto
er34er34 wrote:
RunnerForDeals wrote:
rcmpvet wrote: You do realize that the table finished is approximately 20 board feet? You may need close to two times that just to get to a finished state. The individual strips you would have would only be about 1.5 " wide. The wood itself is $10.50 per board foot and it would have to be 8/4 lumber in order to get the edge grain (1/4 sawn) to the surface.

Your best bet may be to contact a lumber supplier and get a referral from that person. None of the suppliers I see in your area (Barrie) advertise Walnut, however you can call BCW Lumber in Brantford (519 770-3460) or WoodSource in Ottawa (855.822.6800)

Incidentally why walnut? Other than the looks it is extremely soft for use as a butcher block?
No I don't realize that at all. I have no idea what goes in to making one of these that is why I want to buy one already completed. I also know it isn't going to be cheap, I am not looking for cheap (though I get it I am on RFD) I am looking for a good quality at a good price.

Thanks for the suggestions on places to try. I will look in to them.

We chose walnut because it is a beautiful wood and contrasts our kitchen colors amazingly. It is also around the 1000 lbf on the Janka scale which is enough for our needs. We have cutting boards we will still use and will not be actually "chopping" on it. The ocasional cutting sure, but not heavy chopping.

Even dropping hard objects(think ceramic bowls, serving plates) on it will create small dents which will look ugly over time. I just don't see how a soft wood like walnut will hold up in a kitchen. Unless this is a kitchen "for show" and you don't actually intend on cooking.
Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Winner winner, chicken dinner!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2006
2801 posts
1543 upvotes
Barrie
er34er34 wrote:
RunnerForDeals wrote:
rcmpvet wrote: You do realize that the table finished is approximately 20 board feet? You may need close to two times that just to get to a finished state. The individual strips you would have would only be about 1.5 " wide. The wood itself is $10.50 per board foot and it would have to be 8/4 lumber in order to get the edge grain (1/4 sawn) to the surface.

Your best bet may be to contact a lumber supplier and get a referral from that person. None of the suppliers I see in your area (Barrie) advertise Walnut, however you can call BCW Lumber in Brantford (519 770-3460) or WoodSource in Ottawa (855.822.6800)

Incidentally why walnut? Other than the looks it is extremely soft for use as a butcher block?
No I don't realize that at all. I have no idea what goes in to making one of these that is why I want to buy one already completed. I also know it isn't going to be cheap, I am not looking for cheap (though I get it I am on RFD) I am looking for a good quality at a good price.

Thanks for the suggestions on places to try. I will look in to them.

We chose walnut because it is a beautiful wood and contrasts our kitchen colors amazingly. It is also around the 1000 lbf on the Janka scale which is enough for our needs. We have cutting boards we will still use and will not be actually "chopping" on it. The ocasional cutting sure, but not heavy chopping.

Even dropping hard objects(think ceramic bowls, serving plates) on it will create small dents which will look ugly over time. I just don't see how a soft wood like walnut will hold up in a kitchen. Unless this is a kitchen "for show" and you don't actually intend on cooking.
hoponpop wrote:
er34er34 wrote:
RunnerForDeals wrote: No I don't realize that at all. I have no idea what goes in to making one of these that is why I want to buy one already completed. I also know it isn't going to be cheap, I am not looking for cheap (though I get it I am on RFD) I am looking for a good quality at a good price.

Thanks for the suggestions on places to try. I will look in to them.

We chose walnut because it is a beautiful wood and contrasts our kitchen colors amazingly. It is also around the 1000 lbf on the Janka scale which is enough for our needs. We have cutting boards we will still use and will not be actually "chopping" on it. The ocasional cutting sure, but not heavy chopping.

Even dropping hard objects(think ceramic bowls, serving plates) on it will create small dents which will look ugly over time. I just don't see how a soft wood like walnut will hold up in a kitchen. Unless this is a kitchen "for show" and you don't actually intend on cooking.
Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Winner winner, chicken dinner!!
I don't understand the value of either of these posts.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1704 posts
825 upvotes
London
We had a quote done for our 50"x90" island. I think maple was around $2400 and walnut was close to $3400. This was from a local countertop company. I ended up making my own from two ikea beech butcher block countertops. We do not intend on cutting on it. I sanded the finish off, cut them, joined them with my kreg jig, filled it, sanded it, stained it, and finished it off with a bunch of coats of waterlox. It was an incredible amount of work, I understand why they charge what they charge. Thankfully the sink we bought fit into the hole we made lol. It is waterproof and food safe.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1704 posts
825 upvotes
London
We got the waterlox at Exotic Woods in Burlington. They may be able to point you in the right direction. They were really helpful.

Top