Button mushroom stems

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 2nd, 2017 4:22 pm
Tags:
May 29, 2017
208 posts
51 upvotes

Button mushroom stems

I have button mushroom stems from like 5 or 6 lbs of mushroom, kind of waste to throw them away but I have no idea what to do with them.
Are there any uses for the stems?
22 replies
Oct 14, 2005
359 posts
9 upvotes
East gwillimbury New…
Blend and make mushroom soup. Or chop up and add to some cream of mushroom soup for more real flavour.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7949 posts
3608 upvotes
Why are you cutting the stems off your button mushrooms?
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1567 posts
47 upvotes
usa
The aroma is in the mushroom stems.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11166 upvotes
sharkhead wrote: I have button mushroom stems from like 5 or 6 lbs of mushroom, kind of waste to throw them away but I have no idea what to do with them.
Are there any uses for the stems?
Eating them with the top still attached?

Just nip off the bottom of the ring, as it will likely have gone hard from being exposed to the air.
Oct 10, 2004
919 posts
217 upvotes
Winnipeg
Make them into duxelles then incorporate them into other recipes. I think you can even freeze the duxelles for later use.
Deal Guru
Jun 29, 2010
10716 posts
5521 upvotes
Toronto
you've been discarding them up until now? what a waste
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Jun 18, 2013
149 posts
113 upvotes
Brampton
Dice them up, along with some onion garlic. Add some oregano and a touch of butter, and let it cook down. You can then set aside for mushroom omelette filling or get potsticker wrappers and turn them into perogies.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
bonterra wrote: Why are you cutting the stems off your button mushrooms?
My first assumption is something like stuffed mushrooms, or perhaps another specialty item which only uses the caps.
I'm surprised at the confused responses.

I haven't done so, but suspect it would work OK.
Freeze them and use them in the future for things like stews, soups, spaghetti sauce.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
velomane wrote: Make them into duxelles then incorporate them into other recipes. I think you can even freeze the duxelles for later use.
dryars wrote: Dice them up, along with some onion garlic. Add some oregano and a touch of butter, and let it cook down. You can then set aside for mushroom omelette filling or get potsticker wrappers and turn them into perogies.
This. Duxelles = mushrooms fried down in butter. It lasts in the fridge for months. You can use it as a base to make mushroom soups or gravies, spread it on toast, use it as a filling or topping. It's a traditional way to preserve excess mushrooms.
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2014
1595 posts
1983 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I can't believe I've lived my whole life without knowing about duxelles
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2733 posts
3964 upvotes
I toss them in the pot when I'm making stock.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2005
3354 posts
303 upvotes
Calgary
arisk wrote: My first assumption is something like stuffed mushrooms, or perhaps another specialty item which only uses the caps.
I'm surprised at the confused responses.

I haven't done so, but suspect it would work OK.
Freeze them and use them in the future for things like stews, soups, spaghetti sauce.
Button mushrooms would be too small for stuffing the caps. I'd hesitate to freeze raw mushrooms due to the high water content and potential for them to get really fibrous.
May 29, 2017
208 posts
51 upvotes
Excellent suggestions, Thanks all. They all sound awesome, I might be able to try them all. I really like the duxelles and potsticker fillings.
Aside from that, why would people like to eat mushrooms with stems on? The stems have different texture and are chewy. We always discard mushroom stems. What a waste, I admit.
From now on, I will save the stems and chop them up for another dish or soup. Do you freeze the whole stems or chop them up first?
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
sharkhead wrote: Do you freeze the whole stems or chop them up first?
They are soft enough to food process while still frozen. If they are thawed first they are squishy and rubbery and hard to chop.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7851 posts
8799 upvotes
sharkhead wrote: Excellent suggestions, Thanks all. They all sound awesome, I might be able to try them all. I really like the duxelles and potsticker fillings.
Aside from that, why would people like to eat mushrooms with stems on? The stems have different texture and are chewy. We always discard mushroom stems. What a waste, I admit.
From now on, I will save the stems and chop them up for another dish or soup. Do you freeze the whole stems or chop them up first?
I've never eaten a mushroom with the stems intentionally removed. Unless you have no teeth, the texture of the cap and stem are basically the same once the mushrooms are cooked.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7368 posts
4672 upvotes
Between Countries
Unless they're dried black mushrooms where the stems can get pretty tough. I then cut off the black mushroom stems and chop finely for other uses.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
TotallyKiller wrote: Button mushrooms would be too small for stuffing the caps.
I've certainly made them, and eaten those made by others.
It's quite common.
You want to choose the larger, more mature ones which have opened up a bit.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5318 posts
3944 upvotes
Milton, ON.
lecale wrote: This. Duxelles = mushrooms fried down in butter. It lasts in the fridge for months. You can use it as a base to make mushroom soups or gravies, spread it on toast, use it as a filling or topping. It's a traditional way to preserve excess mushrooms.
I make this all the time. Didn't know it had a name lol
I freeze in muffin molds and defrost whenever I need, but this does stay good on the fridge for a long long time. You can even make it in a slow cooker when shrooms go on sale.

Take fresh baguette, smear butter on it. Top with the duxelle mixture and then shredded cheese. Under the broiler until the cheese melts. Top with mayo and ketchup. Heaven.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)