• Jun 28th, 2020 10:52 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 26, 2017
319 posts
180 upvotes

Buy a gas SUV or hybrid?

ACCIDENTALLY EXPIRED OLD POST
I've been eyeing the Honda CR-V as I currently have a Honda civic but I have a little guy and I find that it's not working out as a family vehicle.

Honda will eventually release a hybrid CR-V (I'm hoping) and Toyota has the rav4 hybrid.

I don't know if the hybrid of either vehicles are worth it? Does anyone know of the lifetime savings gas wise of a hybrid?

On the fence here and need someone to chime in,

Thanks!
5 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1259 posts
505 upvotes
depends on your driving habits, and how much you drive

the rav 4 has epa fuel mileage for gas and hybrid. do the calc for your self and see what the breakeven point is.
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2371 posts
1627 upvotes
Markham
On vehicles like this, I can't really say if the hybrids make sense financially to offset their higher initial costs. Fuel math calculations are very much a personal thing as hybrids do much better the worse the traffic is. With how I drive the only cars that I'd get good fuel economy out of are my own, powerful cheap cars, smooth luxury cars. I'd probably waste more fuel driving a RAV4 or a CR-V as I can't tolerate their slow acceleration, I have to kick them in the sack all the time to get them close to how fast I need to accelerate on 401 traffic which is bad for fuel economy on these things.

I can definitely say driving the RAV4s, I would never buy the regular RAV4 just based on the drive. Much of what I dislike about driving vehicles of this type, the hybrid solves some of those things. The terrible acceleration a regular RAV4 has, compared to the hybrid that's easily better. The usually awful noise from most 4-cylinder CUVs, again the hybrid usually makes none of that. Its easier to drive the hybrid more smoothly, which I much prefer, I only like unrefined engines when they're actually fun. The hybrid was the saving grace of the current RAV4 IMO, without it I felt it was yet another dull slow CUV that I only drive once and never want to drive again.

Can't say a lot about Honda's current hybrid system, I'm more familiar with their old IMA and that was unquestionably terrible on the Insight which was wheezy. A badly implemented hybrid system can make a car drive more dreadful, I don't think the new Honda system should be like that...but I've never tried it either to truly say.

That said what's wrong with the Accord or the Camry? Those offer hybrids too, I'd much rather have those for the family car. I'd never buy any RAV4 or CR-V(actually I'd never buy them ever) when the Camry and Accord still exist as those are more roomy inside, drive way better, faster, more fuel efficient and cheaper to run and often cost the same initially sometimes less.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5426 posts
1495 upvotes
Ottawa
ziaa wrote: depends on your driving habits, and how much you drive

the rav 4 has epa fuel mileage for gas and hybrid. do the calc for your self and see what the breakeven point is.
The US Gov has already done this for you here: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/hybridCompare.jsp

Keeping in mind that this is based on cheaper US gas prices so if you drive the same amount and assuming the same price difference between the models in Canada, the payback time is even less at Canadian gas prices. Also keep in mind that IMO, the hybrid will have a higher resale value which further shortens the payback time (i.e. you pay $1500 more now but when you sell / trade it in, you'll get an extra $500 or $1000 so the actual difference is down to $500 to $1000).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2004
9853 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
Gord18Stirr wrote: ACCIDENTALLY EXPIRED OLD POST
I've been eyeing the Honda CR-V as I currently have a Honda civic but I have a little guy and I find that it's not working out as a family vehicle.

If your tall back space wont have space to fit baby seat behind the driver. So make sure you test fit baby seats

Honda will eventually release a hybrid CR-V (I'm hoping) and Toyota has the rav4 hybrid.

I don't know if the hybrid of either vehicles are worth it? Does anyone know of the lifetime savings gas wise of a hybrid?

On the fence here and need someone to chime in,

Thanks!
What about bigger? Van? Highlander, pilot? You need truck space for strollers too

Here's a start.

"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Apr 5, 2017
481 posts
351 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
The new plug-in hybrids by Toyota are worth a look. RAV4 Prime coming out.