Food & Drink

Buy Local - Maybe Order Direct and Pick up? Skip uber, doordash et al?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 14th, 2020 1:24 pm
[OP]
Dec 1, 2020
421 posts
246 upvotes

Buy Local - Maybe Order Direct and Pick up? Skip uber, doordash et al?

Just an idea. If there is already a thread, kindly merge.

But maybe restaurants have been hurt enough. Why not buy closer and pick up and phone direct so more money stays with the restaurant versus being siphoned off? Or order from places that have their own delivery staff?

Maybe some restaurants need to pool together geographically to share delivery staff costs?

I called a place and made sure to confirm they did not pay commissions using even their on line order system for pick up. They said they did. I decided to go old school and use the phone and speak to a human.

Just some small steps I know.
I likely do not care.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8655 posts
2576 upvotes
Mississauga
Yep I support this. I don't even order by phone; I just order once I arrive at the restaurant, and I don't mind waiting for my food.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14995 posts
6389 upvotes
Ottawa
I do it all the time. Phoning ahead and picking up. Don't risk anybody else tampering with my food. I also don't like the surcharges these services have. Also gets me out of the house and an excuse to drive somewhere
Rich or poor, paying full price for anything is for suckers. Be an informed purchaser by searching RFD for the all-time-low price.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36156 posts
10273 upvotes
Ottawa
I absolutely refuse to use a delivery service. Primarily because of the pressure they put on restaurants and of course, the commission they charge (not even mentioning the delivery charges etc).
I fully support my local eateries and use the ones that already have delivery and I order and pick up myself.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11761 posts
2228 upvotes
Toronto
What peeves me off is that let's say skip the dishes menu prices are different than the actual restaurant by being higher.

Who's actually gaining on this difference in pricing. How come there is no disclaimer online prices can be or are higher than the actual place's menu prices.

When I saw that, plus all the fees, yea forget it. I just ordered for fun during the real early days of lockdown. It's not that hard to be prepared to make your own food or just step out yourself.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4945 posts
3993 upvotes
I order for pickup via app when I'm not too lazy . It's just way easier to order on an app even for pickup than calling in especially when they are understably short staffed and can't take calls

But I've worked out difference is only around$10 (after tip) or so btwn pickup or delivery especially as I have dashpass which waives delivery fee and reduce service charge. Min it takes me like 40mins to go out, park, grab the food and go home . Saving that trip and 40mins is worth the $10 to me especially with winter here and I just don't feel like dressing up and jacket and go out unless I'm already out
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
4945 posts
3993 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I absolutely refuse to use a delivery service. Primarily because of the pressure they put on restaurants and of course, the commission they charge (not even mentioning the delivery charges etc).
I fully support my local eateries and use the ones that already have delivery and I order and pick up myself.
But why not support people who are doing delivery gigs? They need support as much as the restaurants
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36156 posts
10273 upvotes
Ottawa
StatsGuy wrote: But why not support people who are doing delivery gigs? They need support as much as the restaurants
Because the restaurants are more important to me. They were there before the pandemic and I want them there after.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8655 posts
2576 upvotes
Mississauga
at1212b wrote: What peeves me off is that let's say skip the dishes menu prices are different than the actual restaurant by being higher.

Who's actually gaining on this difference in pricing. How come there is no disclaimer online prices can be or are higher than the actual place's menu prices.

When I saw that, plus all the fees, yea forget it. I just ordered for fun during the real early days of lockdown. It's not that hard to be prepared to make your own food or just step out yourself.
Uber is the one gaining on this.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11761 posts
2228 upvotes
Toronto
Raggie wrote: Uber is the one gaining on this.
And they're charging a % fee on top of that inflated portion too.

For many condo dwellers, even a short trip out and about it is too much. Might as well tap tap and get it right to your door. Oh the convenience!
[OP]
Dec 1, 2020
421 posts
246 upvotes
at1212b wrote: And they're charging a % fee on top of that inflated portion too.

For many condo dwellers, even a short trip out and about it is too much. Might as well tap tap and get it right to your door. Oh the convenience!
Some condos correctly do not permit delivery people into the building and make people go downstairs to pick up their items.

I'll take inconvenience since we talk about light at the end of the tunnel, but people do realize there is already a lot of places that will be gone when you get to the end of the tunnel. And there will be more as I highly doubt restaurants will be open for indoor dining until mid to end of January.
I likely do not care.