• Dec 15th, 2019 7:31 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1339 posts
1176 upvotes

Buy New Car But Delay Delivery Until April

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of buying a new car. I am wondering if I can purchase the car in the next few weeks with a deposit and approved financing but purposely delay delivery until April. I just don’t want to be driving it in the winter. Has anyone done this before? I’d be buying a Mazda.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22072 posts
2749 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote: Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of buying a new car. I am wondering if I can purchase the car in the next few weeks with a deposit and approved financing but purposely delay delivery until April. I just don’t want to be driving it in the winter. Has anyone done this before? I’d be buying a Mazda.
If you can pay them this month to take advantage of the year end clearance deals they may work work with you on storing one until April. It's highly unlikely they will do this for free though.

So just suck it up and see what deals are available in April or find your own storing method or just drive it?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28605 posts
14014 upvotes
Toronto
redman248824 wrote: Why do you not want to a drive a mazda in the winter??
speed up the rusting process ? Winking Face
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28605 posts
14014 upvotes
Toronto
If this is put into writing and dealer approves the delay of delivery, then no problem. Otherwise, it's highly unlikely dealer will let you do this as keeping the car in their lot costs $ to them.
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
4113 posts
1609 upvotes
What makes you think you can get a better deal now than in April?

It is a little bit of a gamble. Interest changes in auto finance are hard to predict. Maybe it works in you favour... maybe not.
Jul 12, 2013
229 posts
150 upvotes
Saint-Bruno-de-Monta…

I guess storing this in your own garage or rent one isn't an option?

What kind of Mazda is this? Convertible?
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1367 upvotes

My father did this, bought a vehicle in February of 2017, a 2016 model, but didn't actually take delivery until May, 2017.

The people at the car lot were a bit puzzled. But that's what he did nonetheless. Edmonton, BTW.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1339 posts
1176 upvotes
I want to do this so I get a December deal but don’t want to drive my new car this winter. I want to drive my old Mazda for the winter. I also plan on trading in my old Mazda to the dealership.
Oct 2, 2017
703 posts
489 upvotes
interesting, so you want to trade in your car but drive it for another 4 months before handing it in
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6134 posts
4744 upvotes
ProductGuy wrote: I want to do this so I get a December deal but don’t want to drive my new car this winter. I want to drive my old Mazda for the winter. I also plan on trading in my old Mazda to the dealership.
If the Mazda you want has a model year cycle in the Fall (ie Sep 2020 = 2021 Model year). There should be incentives to clear in May/June that should rival "deals" you get in Dec.

The only thing you need to act in Dec on is 2019 left overs.

If doesn't hurt to ask the dealer but I think it's very hard to accommodate you given you want to leave a new car at the lot AND want trade in value of car they won't receive in 4-5 months. Too many variables that if they take you on it, the deal will probably offset the "savings"
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3907 posts
2847 upvotes
GTA
booblehead wrote:
speed up the rusting process ? Winking Face
This Mazda will rust just from seating on dealers lot for couple months. And the Mazda next to it, and the next one and....etc.Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes OP, this is your only chance to drive your rust free car. Week from now this opportunity will be lost, as your Mazda's rusting process started the day it left factory..