• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2020 11:51 am
[OP]
Jun 20, 2018
124 posts
14 upvotes

Buy New Honda/Mazda or get a used 2017 Lexus IS

Hey Guys,

I am in the midst to buy a car and need some suggestions. I am looking to buy either a new Honda Civic or Mazda 3 or I have an option to buy a used Lexus 2017 IS 300 with 50k in mileage.

Which one would be better in terms of maintenance since I am going to finance these cars both monthly financing cost is around the same.

What cost can I expect if I get a used Lexus?

Also, I am a first-time car owner so would need advice basis this factory :)
Last edited by nicotinebar on Jul 29th, 2020 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
72 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31890 posts
18880 upvotes
Toronto
If you don't service it at the Lexus dealership, then it would be no more than your ordinary Honda / Mazda/ Toyota, etc maintenances, IMO.

Therefore, feel free to get whatever suits you the best.
[OP]
Jun 20, 2018
124 posts
14 upvotes
booblehead wrote: If you don't service it at the Lexus dealership, then it would be no more than your ordinary Honda / Mazda/ Toyota, etc maintenances, IMO.

Therefore, feel free to get whatever suits you the best.
Let's say if I regularly service the car which one of these would be better in the long run?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31890 posts
18880 upvotes
Toronto
i feel toyota will be more reliable and probably less costs for the long run. Mazda reliability is questionable to me.
May 23, 2007
601 posts
348 upvotes
Kanata
Lexus used premium fuel.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22293 posts
2948 upvotes
booblehead wrote: i feel toyota will be more reliable and probably less costs for the long run. Mazda reliability is questionable to me.
Reliability is fine ...
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1190 posts
1068 upvotes
How long are you keeping the car for?
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3344 posts
1938 upvotes
Mississauga
Also over the next 50,000kms there will be a bit more maintenance items on the Lexus. So about 4 yrs time if you drive about 12,000kms per year.

Tires (if not currently new)
Brakes (if not currently new)
Brake fluid flush(48,000kms and 96,000kms)
Spark plugs at 96,000kms
Feb 26, 2019
435 posts
500 upvotes
I boil it down to a simple question, do you care about infotainment/apple carplay/android auto? If so, avoid the Lexus.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16632 posts
5191 upvotes
Toronto
bubuski wrote: Also over the next 50,000kms there will be a bit more maintenance items on the Lexus. So about 4 yrs time if you drive about 12,000kms per year.

Spark plugs at 96,000kms
Spark Plugs get changed at 190K as they are iridium based.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16632 posts
5191 upvotes
Toronto
nicotinebar wrote: Hey Guys,

I am in the midst to buy a car and need some suggestions. I am looking to buy either a new Honda Civic or Mazda 3 or I have an option to buy a used Lexus 2017 IS 300 with 50k in mileage.

Which one would be better in terms of maintenance since I am going to finance these cars both monthly financing cost is around the same.

What cost can I expect if I get a used Lexus?
When you buy a luxury car, you need to understand that the cost of OEM parts that make the car reliable will be higher than an economy car like a Civic/Mazda 3. You can get aftermarket parts, but the quality and reliability may not be the same. Taking the vehicle to any mechanic will cost more than a economy car because you are driving Lexus and the logic is that you can afford the car, and afford to pay for the maintenance. To give you an example, I used to have a V6 Camry and my mechanic told me that the V6 Camry and the ES Lexus are very similar but labour is 20% to 30% more on a Lexus.

If you are looking at reliability, I would look at the NEW Corolla SE Base model as you get a bigger engine, takes Regular Fuel (IS recommends Premium) and it is cheap to maintain. You can put Regular fuel on the IS, but you will experience fuel drivability issues and that will add to the cost of repairs.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16632 posts
5191 upvotes
Toronto
bubuski wrote: I got that from the Lexus maintenance schedule for the IS300. Says "Replace Iridium Spark Plugs"

https://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/maintain- ... e-schedule
Wow! That is interesting as most cars need replacement after twice that mileage. I guess this is due to the engine design. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. That means add about $500 to change the plugs, do a throttle body cleaning and fuel injector service.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7207 posts
6387 upvotes
nicotinebar wrote: Let's say if I regularly service the car which one of these would be better in the long run?
Lexus for higher quality materials and reliability and less depreciation hit as it's used and a Lexus at that. Also trust Lexus engine/transmission more than any other brand for longevity including Mazda/Hond

Lexus also has pretty good body panels that don't seem to rust as much as others including Germans, Honda and Mazda
[OP]
Jun 20, 2018
124 posts
14 upvotes
George613 wrote: How long are you keeping the car for?
I am planning to keep this car for 4 - 5 years at least.
[OP]
Jun 20, 2018
124 posts
14 upvotes
bubuski wrote: Also over the next 50,000kms there will be a bit more maintenance items on the Lexus. So about 4 yrs time if you drive about 12,000kms per year.

Spark plugs at 96,000kms
So would you suggest me getting a new car them? I am a new driver I often rent the car but I now need to buy a car now.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2017
1190 posts
1068 upvotes
New car owner first car which you plan to drive for many years. Buy new.

Maintenance is your friend.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
7202 posts
8915 upvotes
Scarbs
gotta consider those safety features too. I think for the lexus you needed atleast the fsport2 package for that year, to get some pretty common stuff like rcta
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12658 posts
3041 upvotes
Mississauga
booblehead wrote: i feel toyota will be more reliable and probably less costs for the long run. Mazda reliability is questionable to me.
Mazda is ranked #2 in reliability, far above Honda.