buy rims/tires from kijiji, how can I verify they have TPMS

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 27th, 2020 10:14 pm
[OP]
May 22, 2019
432 posts
85 upvotes

buy rims/tires from kijiji, how can I verify they have TPMS

I am trying to buy sets of rims and tires from kijiji or facebook marketplace, a lot of sellers claim that their ones have TPMS, i.e. the tire pressure sensor. But how can I verify it? Or is there anything I can find from exterior?

For example, I encountered a buyer who sell me an original sets of rims from 2004 IS300 and claimed that they have TPMS. Do 2004 year vehicle already have that? I doubt very much.

If you have a way to identify TPMS from exterior, do let me know.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3373 posts
2051 upvotes
Clearly the valve stem with TPMS is alot different than a normal valve.
Sep 4, 2006
831 posts
452 upvotes
Ottawa
cristianosham wrote: Clearly the valve stem with TPMS is alot different than a normal valve.
That's not true. The clamp in type are easy to tell. However, there are rubber-stem screw in TPMS sensors that are very common.

The easiest way to tell? Bring a TPMS tool with you and check!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5237 posts
2815 upvotes
Toronto
Remove air on all tires, break the bead with your feet, ie kicking it, jumping on it. Hopefully not damaging the rims. Look for tpms!
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1279 posts
905 upvotes
ilovetoyota wrote:
.........For example, I encountered a buyer who sell me an original sets of rims from 2004 IS300 and claimed that they have TPMS. Do 2004 year vehicle already have that? I doubt very much
My 2005 Honda Pilot has TPMS.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28122 posts
13333 upvotes
Toronto
16 yrs old wheels and you expect the Tpms still functioning ? Now, I really doubt that. Seller may not be lying it has tpms though.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5617 posts
3188 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote: 16 yrs old wheels and you expect the Tpms still functioning ? Now, I really doubt that. Seller may not be lying it has tpms though.
Lol Toyota drivers Face With Tears Of Joy
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1279 posts
905 upvotes
profile wrote: My 2005 Honda Pilot has TPMS.
Sometimes they still work but not reliable.
Was told by mechanic they usually last ~ 10 years.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3959 posts
4071 upvotes
GTA
TPMS sensors have batteries in them. They usually die around the 10 year mark. I don't think the batteries themselves are replaceable, you have to replace the entire sensor.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2219 posts
858 upvotes
Hometown
derass wrote: TPMS sensors have batteries in them. They usually die around the 10 year mark. I don't think the batteries themselves are replaceable, you have to replace the entire sensor.
C'mon this RFD!!! Of course you can replace the battery in a sensor.... Not sure if you would want to, but apparently it can be done. LOL I guess X 4 it would be worth it to someone with lots of time and patience.

Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3959 posts
4071 upvotes
GTA
You just have to destroy the potting to get at it, and de-solder it from the PCB...

Changing a TPMS sensor is already not a DIY task. Let alone replacing the battery.