Wheels and Tires

Buy rims for winter tires on a LEASED car?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 27th, 2017 1:28 pm
[OP]
Aug 16, 2013
128 posts
29 upvotes
MARKHAM

Buy rims for winter tires on a LEASED car?

As title..just wondering if it's ok to actually just switch rims from summer to winter tires for the 3 years I'm leasing. Will save me some money, but I heard it damages the tires and not sure if this is true?

Would appreciate the enlightenment!
14 replies
Jul 19, 2011
61 posts
10 upvotes
Canada
I buy a second set of rims for my winter tires. Trust me you don't want to change your tires off your rims twice a year. Just sell the rims after the 3 yr lease and voila.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29619 posts
15420 upvotes
Toronto
Hard to say whether a tire shop will be doing the switchover with utmost care. When it gets busy, some shops need to get the job done very quickly and scratches and damages will eventually occur.

Just buy a used or new winters with steel rims may be better and you can sell them when you are done.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2008
3393 posts
2197 upvotes
Montreal
Get Costco steel rims, they aren't expensive, depends on your rim size you will probably break even after 3 years with the cost of swapping tires twice a year, plus you can sell them afterwards.
Aug 23, 2014
370 posts
159 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
The tires in my alloy wheels developed a slow leak that i blame on swapping tires instead of getting dedicated wheels for my winter tires. I would just buy steel wheels or decent reps from simply tires. The savings in wheel balancing costs over 3 years plus the proceeds that you will get when you sell the wheels at the end of your lease will come close to offsetting the cost of the dedicated wheels.

My wheels also got scuffed from all the changing. I did not get dinged for it at lease end, but maybe I just had a lenient inspector.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11873 posts
4196 upvotes
Toronto
Yes, buy a 2nd set of rims for your winters. If you don't want to use the ugly Black steel rims, see if you can find a set of used OEM rims. It doesn't have to be from the exact model.
I had a Mazdaspeed3 which use 18" on summer and I bought a used set of Mazda 3 OEM 17" rims and use 17" on winters. Just make sure it fits properly on your car, the speedo meter may be off a little if using different tire size, but aslong as under 2% difference, it is do-able.

Once lease is done, sell the wheels off.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Oct 13, 2016
152 posts
54 upvotes
Yeah I always get a 2nd set of rims for my winter tires. I do not like the steel rim look.

You can find used OEM rims for cheap on Kijiji
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22136 posts
2805 upvotes
What difference does it make if it's a leased car?

It will still be cheaper to have a dedicated set of winters and summers
[OP]
Aug 16, 2013
128 posts
29 upvotes
MARKHAM
Thanks for all the replies. Basically I was considering just buying winter tires with no rims and then swapping the rims around each time. It IS leased so I was wondering what the risk is of perhaps damaging the rims doing this.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11873 posts
4196 upvotes
Toronto
Veritate wrote: Thanks for all the replies. Basically I was considering just buying winter tires with no rims and then swapping the rims around each time. It IS leased so I was wondering what the risk is of perhaps damaging the rims doing this.
No body can guarantee that your rims won't get damaged, mechanic is a human. They make mistakes too, it is just a matter of how likely it will happen. You can scratch your rims yourself by hitting the curb when you park as well.
My advise is don't go to Wal-Mart, CT, those shops that hire teenagers for their works.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Nov 4, 2008
626 posts
421 upvotes
GTA
Veritate wrote: Thanks for all the replies. Basically I was considering just buying winter tires with no rims and then swapping the rims around each time. It IS leased so I was wondering what the risk is of perhaps damaging the rims doing this.
There's always risk of damaging the wheel! Find out the cost for the cheapest steel wheels from Costco and find out the cost to change the tire each time (2 times per year) then you will see that buying separate steel wheels will be cheaper during those 3 years and you can always sell them later to recoup some of your cost back.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
14942 posts
1217 upvotes
Markham
I've got a second set for my lease... Just sell it after you return the car... Or keep it if it still fits something else you're getting
ShadowVlican
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14929 posts
9336 upvotes
Toronto
On a side note, whom do you all trust to install tires on your rims to avoid the scratches? Dealers? Indys? Inquiring minds want to know as I have a beautiful set of rims and some rubber that needs installation.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 26, 2005
840 posts
618 upvotes
koffey wrote: On a side note, whom do you all trust to install tires on your rims to avoid the scratches? Dealers? Indys? Inquiring minds want to know as I have a beautiful set of rims and some rubber that needs installation.
Find a local performance shop with a good reputation and their own touchless tire machine - in Vancouver we have a few choices, and they are used to dealing with Volks/Rays/HRE etc and will take good care of them while installing.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
2861 posts
1868 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I swapped rims last year and the cheapest place was $70. If you have 2 sets of rims, that's $35. So you save $70/year, and it's also much less hassle (wait times for one are pretty short). For 3 years, that $210. If you buy rims for $400 on kijiji, you can resell for $350 3 years later. Even if it's $300, you only lose $100. So that's a net return of $110 + less hassle. It's a no brainer really. And which is why I am buying a new set of rims this year. There's really no upside to not doing it, unless you simply don't have $400 to spend.