• Aug 4th, 2021 10:15 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1017 posts
379 upvotes
Windsor, ON

Buy Vaccines in US but not Canada

I have a friend from the US that vacinates all his puppies himself and they have never had any issues for years doing this, the vaccines cost $10-$20. I found the website he buys the vaccines from and they only ship to the US no surprise. Would this be because it is illegal to vaccinate your own dogs in Canada or cannot purchase vaccines without a vet license? With a year of paramedics under my belt intramuscular vaccines don't scare me I could even place a dog on IVs comfortably even, I do know the rabies vaccine needs to be done by a vet but that is understandable
3 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1254 posts
661 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Its really not that expensive to add that extra vaccine...

If you have to take your dog/cat to the vet for the rabies vaccine, you will need to pay for the physical exam too. You will probably only need to add $25-$45 each to add the extra DAPPV/FRCPV/Bordetella/Leptospirosis/Lyme/Feline Leukemia vaccine.

Why go through all that trouble of purchasing the vaccine and dealing with shipping and storage conditions and customs when you can get it done at your vet. They will also perform a physical exam for your pet too. I mean, a pet owner should take their pet in at least once a year to do that physical exam and vaccinations. What happens if your pet gets some sort of vaccine reaction? It could be mild or severe like anaphylaxis. Most vets will treat if this happens to their patient. If you vaccinate on your own at home and something happens, the vet will most likely send you to emergency which will end up costing a lot more.

If your vet is too expensive, shop around (newer clinics will have better pricing, Downtown cities will be more expensive). Most clinics have some sort of new client promotion.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2885 posts
1553 upvotes
London
when i was calling around for my cat the price of the vac weren't that bad it was the fact that every vet was forcing an exam fee just to give it the needle and that was ranging anywhere from 100-150 on top of the $20 for the shot. one place claimed they were doing $1 exams for first timers but then u call them and the blame covid and say they aren't doing the $1 exam but they don't stop putting ads on there site for it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5515 posts
4583 upvotes
mmikeman wrote: I have a friend from the US that vacinates all his puppies himself and they have never had any issues for years doing this, the vaccines cost $10-$20. I found the website he buys the vaccines from and they only ship to the US no surprise. Would this be because it is illegal to vaccinate your own dogs in Canada or cannot purchase vaccines without a vet license? With a year of paramedics under my belt intramuscular vaccines don't scare me I could even place a dog on IVs comfortably even, I do know the rabies vaccine needs to be done by a vet but that is understandable
vaccines for pets are treated same as meds for humans so they can/will be confiscated by CBSA. I've had flea meds and etc seized by cbsa when buying some for my mom's dog. But really difference was like maybe $40 or less vs going to the vet and getting the shots as part of their checkup so it's really not worth it for vaccine/basic meds..