Expired Hot Deals

[buyapi.ca] Raspberry Pi 4 8GB is now here. Limit 1. 104.95 (149.95 with accessories)

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 14th, 2020 11:36 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Oct 26, 2011
89 posts
211 upvotes
Vancouver

Raspberry Pi 4 8GB is now here. Limit 1. 104.95 (149.95 with accessories)

Deal Link:
Price:
104.95
Savings:
0%
Retailer:
buyapi.ca
Useful for those of you that need 8GB on a single-board-computer. What's new here is the 8GB, previously the largest memory you could have was 4GB. Also worth noting is that now the RPi4 can boot off a USB-based device or network, you do not need an SD-card any more: https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/boo ... y-pi-4-usb

Introducing NEW Raspberry Pi 4 - 8GB!

Get one NOW and may the POWER be with you!

Raspberry Pi 4/8GB is available individually or in kits. Our kits include the most essential components to help you to kick-start your Pi journey. Please check the available options below. We are expecting limited supply of Raspberry Pi 4/8GB in the next few weeks. If one of the options is not available / out of stock, please check other options listed below.

Raspberry Pi 4 Desktop Kit - 8GB $195.00
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B/8GB $104.95
Raspberry Pi 4B Starter Kit $149.95
Raspberry Pi 4B Budget Kit $129.95

https://www.buyapi.ca/product-category/ ... i4+is+here!
Last edited by GerardOD on May 28th, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
224 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
14291 posts
2338 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Watch this be used primarily for pi.hole LOL
Jr. Member
Nov 24, 2013
142 posts
68 upvotes
Burnaby
weedb0y wrote: Watch this be used primarily for pi.hole LOL
8gb of dns caches... at 52degrees... hawt. =)

as a side note I've noticed that it's harder to source the rpi3b+ now. The main advantage (to me) for the rpi3b was the power consumption. I like the rpi4 but abit overkill. for pihole use the sweetspot was rpi2-3b+. zeros works but it's abit slower.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
14291 posts
2338 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
digitalpixies wrote: 8gb of dns caches... at 52degrees... hawt. =)

as a side note I've noticed that it's harder to source the rpi3b+ now. The main advantage (to me) for the rpi3b was the power consumption. I like the rpi4 but abit overkill. for pihole use the sweetspot was rpi2-3b+. zeros works but it's abit slower.
I have both Zero W and RPI Pi 2+, not noticing any significant performance issues between them two, even though one is connected on ethernet and one's wifi on 2.4ghz (but near the router). Dont ask why I have two of them running, I bought them out of curiousity and the only utility I find where RPI makes sense is pi.hole for me. ;)

You are right though, ideal match for pi.hole is RPI 2/3 but if one is challenged to find any off kijiji etc, I would advise going with Zero W, if the sole purpose is Pi-hole ad-blocking etc.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Oct 1, 2017
154 posts
220 upvotes
Thunder Bay
Man I wish more X86 Pi alternatives would come out.

$150 for a J3455 and 8gb of RAM in this form factor would be so amazing.
Inflammable means flammable? What a country.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 10, 2005
4116 posts
1326 upvotes
GTA
weedb0y wrote: I have both Zero W and RPI Pi 2+, not noticing any significant performance issues between them two, even though one is connected on ethernet and one's wifi on 2.4ghz (but near the router). Dont ask why I have two of them running, I bought them out of curiousity and the only utility I find where RPI makes sense is pi.hole for me. ;)

You are right though, ideal match for pi.hole is RPI 2/3 but if one is challenged to find any off kijiji etc, I would advise going with Zero W, if the sole purpose is Pi-hole ad-blocking etc.
yeah, if it's just pihole, it'd be difficult to notice a difference between those two.

I would install WireGuard on the 2+ for on the go adblocking or just remote access.
Jr. Member
Jul 27, 2017
100 posts
108 upvotes
weedb0y wrote: Watch this be used primarily for pi.hole LOL
You also got people buying top line Macs to surf the web, send emails and browse Facebook.

In all seriousness, there should be a PSA that Pi Zeroes are more than enough for Pi-Hole, more powerful models are overkill. I've got one running smoothly for months now and I reserve the more important tasks of console emulation and gathering dust for my Pi 4.
Last edited by nochill on May 28th, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jun 6, 2010
6009 posts
2709 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Dave98 wrote: yeah, if it's just pihole, it'd be difficult to notice a difference between those two.

I would install WireGuard on the 2+ for on the go adblocking or just remote access.
New to pihole and I am just looking into it.
So you can install wireguard in rpi 2+?
Which one of these should i get?
https://www.buyapi.ca/product-category/ ... pi-boards/
Do I need any accessories?
If I buy something that is not in deep discounted, my father will punish me; everyone will laugh at me. I will be the strange kid who doesn't fit in.
Guide to get free movie BOGO code from Virgin Mobile
How to setup PAP in Tangerine
Sr. Member
Nov 22, 2012
972 posts
699 upvotes
VANCOUVER
zobblplatz wrote: Man I wish more X86 Pi alternatives would come out.

$150 for a J3455 and 8gb of RAM in this form factor would be so amazing.
An alternative would be to get a sufficiently powered NAS and run pihole or whatever application in docker?

A $700 NAS without having to pay $100-200 for a separate rpi, especially if you need a NAS as well. Just saying.
Member
Jul 5, 2008
363 posts
100 upvotes
digitalpixies wrote: 8gb of dns caches... at 52degrees... hawt. =)

as a side note I've noticed that it's harder to source the rpi3b+ now. The main advantage (to me) for the rpi3b was the power consumption. I like the rpi4 but abit overkill. for pihole use the sweetspot was rpi2-3b+. zeros works but it's abit slower.
Each Pi iteration has drawn more power than the previous. I considered swapping out the Pi 2B that monitors my RV solar for a 4 but it's ~3x the usage. Maybe I'll get a 4 to replace the 3B in my WinIOT/Touchscreen setup.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Oct 1, 2017
154 posts
220 upvotes
Thunder Bay
b31770 wrote: An alternative would be to get a sufficiently powered NAS and run pihole or whatever application in docker?

A $700 NAS without having to pay $100-200 for a separate rpi, especially if you need a NAS as well. Just saying.
I have a NAS, a ds218+ that I do all of that and more on. Also have a compact homelab pc I do other things on.

But I’d like something I can toss in my backpack that isn’t a $500 NUC.
Inflammable means flammable? What a country.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
14291 posts
2338 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
theflyingsquirrel wrote: New to pihole and I am just looking into it.
So you can install wireguard in rpi 2+?
Which one of these should i get?
https://www.buyapi.ca/product-category/ ... pi-boards/
Do I need any accessories?
Get the Pi Zero W, case and accessories kit (if you dont have any Micro HDMI adapters). The case, with USB wires etc helps with offering protective layer, and connectivity. Any decent charger will work.

For me, I picked up a SD card ($10) and Pi Zero W Case and accessories kit from Amazon for like $11 bucks.
Last edited by weedb0y on May 28th, 2020 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
4966 posts
4551 upvotes
zobblplatz wrote: Man I wish more X86 Pi alternatives would come out.

$150 for a J3455 and 8gb of RAM in this form factor would be so amazing.
Curious: WHY does X86 matter?

Top