Expired Hot Deals

BuyaPi.ca

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B/8GB is back in stock

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2020 9:41 am
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 2, 2008
35 posts
48 upvotes

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B/8GB is back in stock

Deal Link:
Price:
104.95
Retailer:
BuyaPi.ca
I was browsing BuyaPi.ca website and noticed that the Pi 4 8GB is back in stock.

It's not on sale but so many fun projects can be done with a Raspberry Pi 4 so I wanted to share...

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B/8GB $104.95
Raspberry Pi 4B Budget Kit $129.95
Raspberry Pi 4B Starter Kit $149.95
Raspberry Pi 4 Desktop Kit - 8GB $195.00

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B/8GB - Your new desktop computer

The Raspberry Pi 4 Model B is the latest product in the Raspberry Pi range, boasting a 64-bit quad core processor running at 1.5GHz, dual-band 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless LAN, Bluetooth 5.0/BLE, true Gigabit Ethernet, and PoE capability via a separate PoE HAT.

The dual-band wireless LAN comes with modular compliance certification, allowing the board to be designed into end products with significantly reduced wireless LAN compliance testing, improving both cost and time to market.
If this is your first Pi or meant to be gifted, please see our Raspberry Pi 101 Guide
Features

Dual displays 4K output - you can run two monitors at once — and in 4K, too!
Fast networking Raspberry Pi 4 comes with Gigabit Ethernet, along with onboard wireless networking and Bluetooth.
USB 3: along with two USB 2 ports you'll find two USB 3 ports, which can transfer data up to ten times faster.
Image

Specifications

Broadcom BCM2711, Quad core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
8GB LPDDR4-3200 SDRAM
2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
Gigabit Ethernet
2 USB 3.0 ports; 2 USB 2.0 ports.
Raspberry Pi standard 40 pin GPIO header (fully backwards compatible with previous boards)
2 × micro-HDMI ports (up to 4kp60 supported)
2-lane MIPI DSI display port
2-lane MIPI CSI camera port
4-pole stereo audio and composite video port
H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)
OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics
Micro-SD card slot for loading operating system and data storage
5V DC via USB-C connector (minimum 3A*)
5V DC via GPIO header (minimum 3A*)
Power over Ethernet (PoE) enabled (requires separate PoE HAT)
Operating temperature: 0 – 50 degrees C ambient
...
76 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 14, 2009
2349 posts
2984 upvotes
Quebec
Been looking to build a Pi hole, the zero does the job but the adapters and dongles end up costing more than the board itself
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1773 posts
977 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I really like my 4GB Pi4 as a NAS and webserver. The 8GB may be a fun toy if you have a specific project in mind.
That said, for close to $150 if you include case, charger, shipping, tax etc. the idea of using the 8GB Pi4 as a desktop computer is not exactly of great value. Ubuntu runs a lot better on my HP Stream 14 with Celeron N4000 + 4GB RAM I picked up for $199 from MS Store last year.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1773 posts
977 upvotes
Toronto, ON
MonsieurX wrote: Been looking to build a Pi hole, the zero does the job but the adapters and dongles end up costing more than the board itself
I installed Pi hole on my Pi but ended up not using it. There are just more and more websites using anti adblocking scripts and many sites got broken by pi hole these days.
It is a lot easier just to use ad blocker plus and turn on/off as needed.
Also, these days with fast internet, ads not really impact browsing speed that much.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
16591 posts
4328 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
ericw wrote: I installed Pi hole on my Pi but ended up not using it. There are just more and more websites using anti adblocking scripts and many sites got broken by pi hole these days.
It is a lot easier just to use ad blocker plus and turn on/off as needed.
Also, these days with fast internet, ads not really impact browsing speed that much.
It’s not either or.

Pihole or AdGuard home are network level blockers, even blocks ads within mobile apps (if devices are on your network) and also stops the unnecessary telemetric tracking. AdGuard Home also offers parental and spyware protection as well.

Use a good list like oisd.nl, and most sites will work.
Last edited by weedb0y on Jul 18th, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1687 posts
1003 upvotes
MonsieurX wrote: Been looking to build a Pi hole, the zero does the job but the adapters and dongles end up costing more than the board itself
well this is overkill for you if your just using it for pi hole
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1349 posts
599 upvotes
Victoria
I really wish I could find a good deal on a Pi3... I have this lovely flirc case on my desk that's never had a pie in it and it doesn't fir the 4 =(
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1773 posts
977 upvotes
Toronto, ON
weedb0y wrote: Use a good list like oisd.nl, and most sites will work.
*most* sites - that's the problem. It got annoying that I had to constantly go to the web admin UI to pause it or switch my phone's DNS or turn off wifi.
That said, I did like that it blocked youtube ads etc. on my tv and apps.
I guess you cannot win it all
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
16591 posts
4328 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
ericw wrote: *most* sites - that's the problem. It got annoying that I had to constantly go to the web admin UI to pause it or switch my phone's DNS or turn off wifi.
That said, I did like that it blocked youtube ads etc. on my tv and apps.
I guess you cannot win it all
That must have been long time ago.. YouTube ads does not get blocked anymore

Edit: typing on an iPad sucks
Last edited by weedb0y on Jul 16th, 2020 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
6458 posts
4254 upvotes
SW ON
weedb0y wrote: That must have been long time ago.. YouTube does not get blocked anymore
I suppose you meant YouTube ads do not get blocked anymore.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2010
1547 posts
500 upvotes
Surrey
If I was to buy a raspberry pi4 could I use it as a desktop computer and pihole at the same time, or would I need to separate devices?

Tia
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
16591 posts
4328 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
purplekush604 wrote: If I was to buy a raspberry pi4 could I use it as a desktop computer and pihole at the same time, or would I need to separate devices?

Tia
Yes you can
Newbie
Dec 26, 2006
57 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
purplekush604 wrote: If I was to buy a raspberry pi4 could I use it as a desktop computer and pihole at the same time, or would I need to separate devices?

Tia
You can use it as a pi-hole and desktop computer at the same time.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2004
1773 posts
977 upvotes
Toronto, ON
timekeeper wrote: You can use it as a pi-hole and desktop computer at the same time.
The only issue is if you want to use an external VPN for privacy, geo unblocking, etc. Pi-hole will route through VPN making it a very slow DNS server.
If DNS level adblocking is really important to you, I suggest you try cloud-based solutions such as https://nextdns.io/
It is basically a pi-hole hosted remotely and you can turn off the logs. Free up to 300,000 queries per month.
Member
Oct 23, 2009
205 posts
794 upvotes
Edmonton
I have a Rasp pi3 that I am presently to run moOde with a HiFi berry DAC for my NAS music collection to my home audio system.

Can someone tell me if it is possible to run Plex Server on the same pi3 or is another pi required?
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2006
1808 posts
1339 upvotes
Center of the univer…
ericw wrote: The only issue is if you want to use an external VPN for privacy, geo unblocking, etc. Pi-hole will route through VPN making it a very slow DNS server.
If DNS level adblocking is really important to you, I suggest you try cloud-based solutions such as https://nextdns.io/
It is basically a pi-hole hosted remotely and you can turn off the logs. Free up to 300,000 queries per month.
you might as well use dns.adguard.com for free with no limit if that is the route you want to go to. Idea is here the data stays with you instead of on a cloud server tracking which websites you are visiting.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
16591 posts
4328 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Because Pi Hole / AdGuard Home (https://github.com/AdguardTeam/AdGuardHome) are practical real-life, value-add projects, where RPI makes sense once the vanity of having a tinker gadget goes away. I tried few projects once I got the RPI and then it went under neath the bed, only to be revived once I found PiHole (and now AdGuard Home) projects. A year later, that's been the killer-app for RPI vs all the useless time wasting projects.

Any other killer apps on RPI? File-sharing, Plex didnt work out that well vs a cheaper Android box.
Last edited by weedb0y on Jul 17th, 2020 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member
Dec 28, 2011
471 posts
238 upvotes
OAKVILLE
MikeyCanuck wrote: I really wish I could find a good deal on a Pi3... I have this lovely flirc case on my desk that's never had a pie in it and it doesn't fir the 4 =(
What's a good deal? Can't you just buy a brand new one at the regular price?
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 11, 2004
728 posts
142 upvotes
Montreal, Qc
How do you guys deal with all the cables and adapters for a non-remote front-end use?

I am setting this thing up to possibly use it as a retropi, however I am annoyed with the amount of cables and adapters I need.
The PI cannot provide power to the accessories it needs.

The SSD (for boot) needs its own power. The wired keyboard and mouse use too much current so they need a powered hub. To get some nice overclocking I use a 80mm 12v fan that also needs its power adapter. With the monitor, I have 4 power adapters. Seriously, wtf?

I know, I know, for a Pi hole you can even get PoE and be done with it.

However, for front-end use, the crazy amount of adapters make it not worth it.

At this point I am looking at converting a 450W PSU as it has 12v, 5v and 3.3v rails. But the size of this monster, will make it as big as a mITX case.
Might as well build one of those micro desktops and run Windows.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)