• Jan 7th, 2020 5:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6127 posts
2462 upvotes
Canuckland

Buyer Beware new ebay sellers

So I decided to buy a Camera $300 almost new from a newbie ebay seller and let me tell you it is such a annoying experience.

Here are the things I learned:

- Rakuten works on all type of transactions
- Partial refunds are only at sellers discretion
- Sellers can screw over buyers regardless of their reputation
- Return shipping may be covered up to $30 CAD under PayPal
- Listing description inaccuracy can give you an edge on the issue
- Ebay can issue coupons at their discretion
19 replies
Jun 1, 2015
666 posts
197 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Ebay customer service blows period. Combined with unreliable sellers theres almost no good reason to buy from ebay unless you have a coupon and can get their junk for free/next to free
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11032 posts
2117 upvotes
Toronto
RigorMortis wrote: Ebay customer service blows period. Combined with unreliable sellers theres almost no good reason to buy from ebay unless you have a coupon and can get their junk for free/next to free
It's worth it for me for video game console repair parts.

Ie:
one part locally within Canada = $10-$12 shipped
The same part but 5 of them = $2 each, so $10 cad with free shipping. I then charge $90-$100 for this part with installation (I can get away with it because not many people have the knowledge or equipment to change an HDMI port or AN IC chip.

That said I do look at reviews and find sellers that look reliable and if one package arrives then I stick with them.

Amazon is no better, I ordered a microscope with the same model number and everything else but a different company name. I bought it and emailed them asking if it's really the original one with just their name, they said they'd get back to me in 3-4 days (why they couldn't just answer the question in the first place I have no idea) but never did. It then shipped so I will probably say I never got it and get a refund if it doesn't arrive by the end of next week, ordered 30 days ago)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6127 posts
2462 upvotes
Canuckland
XtremeModder wrote: It's worth it for me for video game console repair parts.

Ie:
one part locally within Canada = $10-$12 shipped
The same part but 5 of them = $2 each, so $10 cad with free shipping. I then charge $90-$100 for this part with installation (I can get away with it because not many people have the knowledge or equipment to change an HDMI port or AN IC chip.

That said I do look at reviews and find sellers that look reliable and if one package arrives then I stick with them.

Amazon is no better, I ordered a microscope with the same model number and everything else but a different company name. I bought it and emailed them asking if it's really the original one with just their name, they said they'd get back to me in 3-4 days (why they couldn't just answer the question in the first place I have no idea) but never did. It then shipped so I will probably say I never got it and get a refund if it doesn't arrive by the end of next week, ordered 30 days ago)
They are only good for buying vintage or repair parts that you can afford losing money on.

I will never buying anything over $50 again even if backed by PayPal it is just such a pain in the A$$ dealing with sellers
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2004
1213 posts
935 upvotes
Toronto
- Sellers can screw over buyers regardless of their reputation
What you talking about here. Buyers always win, sellers have no protection from ebay.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
11032 posts
2117 upvotes
Toronto
DealCanuck wrote: They are only good for buying vintage or repair parts that you can afford losing money on.

I will never buying anything over $50 again even if backed by PayPal it is just such a pain in the A$$ dealing with sellers
I guess I'm one of the few who haven't really had any bad experiences at least on ebay. Then again I'm buying HDMI ports @ $2/each for the regular PS4 right now, have 3 customers lined up for those (part+labour) and have another lined up to replace a game card reader on a nintendo switch next week on friday, and soon 2 XBOX One X consoles that need the HDMI Retimer chip replaced as well, but those are a bit more expensive.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6127 posts
2462 upvotes
Canuckland
w00t wrote: What you talking about here. Buyers always win, sellers have no protection from ebay.
It’s been the opposite for me
Sep 6, 2016
756 posts
294 upvotes
Who is using ebay? It is like a lottery
Public Mobile $35 / 4GB LTE a month forever!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3141 posts
2438 upvotes
Toronto
So you're saying it's like it always has been?

Isn't rule number one to buy from an established seller? Not just on Ebay but any online store. Also I'd have to disagree with the seller winning, if I've ever had an issue I've been refunded.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6127 posts
2462 upvotes
Canuckland
WMPCOT wrote: So you're saying it's like it always has been?

Isn't rule number one to buy from an established seller? Not just on Ebay but any online store. Also I'd have to disagree with the seller winning, if I've ever had an issue I've been refunded.
I took a risk since was the only canadian seller for PayPal free returns, lucky me got a rotten egg
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9942 posts
4870 upvotes
newbie ebay seller
enough said
Telus $45 25GB
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33739 posts
7373 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I've rarely had problems on eBay. I get junk from time to time, but no problems

I have had lots of problems on AliExpress. I rather just pay extra and order from eBay
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
10936 posts
13340 upvotes
Vancouver
Gee wrote: I've rarely had problems on eBay. I get junk from time to time, but no problems

I have had lots of problems on AliExpress. I rather just pay extra and order from eBay
Me too. I'm always buying phone cases and tempered glass screen protectors from eBay. 80-90% less than what B&M stores ask, ship from Canada, here in a few days instead of the two months it takes from Ali. Never a problem.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8333 posts
2131 upvotes
Mississauga
I thought the whole point of the feedback system was to know what you're getting into. It is obvious that you may have issues with new sellers.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6392 posts
2040 upvotes
BC
DealCanuck wrote: .........

Here are the things I learned:

- Rakuten works on all type of transactions
Still wondering what this really means.
- That used items from a store in the Rakuten program qualify the same as new items?
- That even though ebay is not in the Rakuten program, there is still a way to get a rebate from an ebay store that is?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6127 posts
2462 upvotes
Canuckland
macnut wrote: Still wondering what this really means.
- That used items from a store in the Rakuten program qualify the same as new items?
- That even though ebay is not in the Rakuten program, there is still a way to get a rebate from an ebay store that is?
Say you win a bid, rakuten will work when you’re going to pay
Jan 18, 2007
243 posts
24 upvotes
Calgary
Ebates, Rakuten, whatever it's called... I'll never use them. First, it's a privacy issue for me. Second, I don't care about 10% - to me, that money is better spent with my privacy. People have trouble getting paid by Rakuten in some instances. For me, I avoid them and any "member" services club, which is really a fancy word for Customer Data Mining.
I am the liquor.
Jim Lahey, Sunnyvale Trailer Park Supervisor
It's liquor day Randy.
Oct 4, 2014
77 posts
36 upvotes
Ontario
I bought 5 different items from ebay in November. ALL were scammers(3 different sellers). I will never buy another thing from ebay.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6127 posts
2462 upvotes
Canuckland
Char1sma wrote: I bought 5 different items from ebay in November. ALL were scammers(3 different sellers). I will never buy another thing from ebay.
Yup chances are very high. I hope you used PayPal or your credit card to get your money back, albeit a pain in the A