Real Estate

Buyer loses $20k deposit ( buyer was an agent)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2021 11:22 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
6426 posts
1329 upvotes

Buyer loses $20k deposit ( buyer was an agent)

Toronto Star: Superior Court lets home sellers keep the $20,000 deposit after the buyers backed away from the signed deal.
https://www.thestar.com/life/homes/2021 ... -deal.html

Interesting article, not sure why the buyer backed out I suspect it had more to do than the sq footage
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378
Ole Gunnar IN!!!!
I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
3392 posts
3722 upvotes
Toronto
rb wrote: Toronto Star: Superior Court lets home sellers keep the $20,000 deposit after the buyers backed away from the signed deal.
https://www.thestar.com/life/homes/2021 ... -deal.html

Interesting article, not sure why the buyer backed out I suspect it had more to do than the sq footage
lol...even better they are realtors
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3324 posts
1266 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
joepipe wrote: lol...even better they are realtors
That is the most satisfying part about the story.

Wish they had lost more than just 20k, lol.
<removed>
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
18982 posts
7084 upvotes
Toronto
I'm aligned with the Judge on this one.

The sellers were definitely being 'scummy' in their representation of the sqft on the MLS Listing, however if they provided floor plans which were accurate with dimensions, as well as actually state how they got to the listing sqft in the marketing brochures that were also provided to the buyer, then the buyers don't really have a leg to stand on.

Especially given the buyer was a Realtor who would/should have the knowledge to do his/her due diligence before making the purchase. IF they couldn't do the DD on their own purchase, should scare you on how they treat their buyers.
Real Estate Agent, MAcc, CPA, CA
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2193 posts
1052 upvotes
Moon
dc200 wrote: That is the most satisfying part about the story.

Wish they had lost more than just 20k, lol.
I am thinking they will have the pay the other parties' legal fees too?

Like others said previously if they cant even review their own purchase, can you imagine what they have/would have done for their client?
Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
6426 posts
1329 upvotes
kangarooz wrote: I am thinking they will have the pay the other parties' legal fees too?

Like others said previously if they cant even review their own purchase, can you imagine what they have/would have done for their client?
yep they will have to pay their own and other parties fees .. though this is probably small claims court so there are limits on costs awards to other parties
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378
Ole Gunnar IN!!!!
I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9077 posts
10428 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
If these buyers are realtors didn’t they consider the damage to any reputation they might have if this became public....like it has. They look like clowns.

“Oh you were the agents that bought without verifying the data and then got salty? Ok see ya later”
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12696 posts
9444 upvotes
GTA, ON
The listing stated that the interior of the dwelling had approximately 2,500-3,000 square feet. The sellers later told the court that the listing gave all realtors access to the home’s photos and details, a marketing brochure, a pre-listing home inspection, and a floor plan of the home with accurate dimensions for each room.

The brochure was also available to purchasers visiting the property and correctly stated the home’s gross, above-grade floor area as 2,155 square feet, plus 665 feet on the lower floor. The brochure stated, “buyer to verify measurements.”
Well, technically the sellers didn't lie. The home is 2155 sqft plus additional basement (665 sqft). The realtor should have done his homework.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2010
1215 posts
1441 upvotes
Toronto
Buyer got lucky this was last August and his deposit was so small.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5985 posts
3165 upvotes
Thornhill
Without providing the actual info I referenced this recently concerning ethics and competence.

The ethics is obvious.

The lack of due diligence incompetence is obvious

The incompetence to accept 1.7% as a deposit on a 1.2 million dollar sale is mindblowing.