Home & Garden

Buyers raised wasp nest and stove issues.

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2021 11:35 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5957 posts
1613 upvotes
Milton

Buyers raised wasp nest and stove issues.

Buyers visited our house (or their house) as part of their 2 visitations and raised concern about wasp nest forming up in the roof and is asking us to hire an exterminator AND also concern about the electric stove doesnt get 'hot enough'.

Just wondering if we are accountable to fix these since the home sale agreement was signed 2 months ago which was unconditional. Closing is mid-Oct.
32 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1540 posts
789 upvotes
spena wrote: Buyers visited our house (or their house) as part of their 2 visitations and raised concern about wasp nest forming up in the roof and is asking us to hire an exterminator AND also concern about the electric stove doesnt get 'hot enough'.

Just wondering if we are accountable to fix these since the home sale agreement was signed 2 months ago which was unconditional. Closing is mid-Oct.
If its unconditional, you just have to provide the home as they saw it. If the stove was the same that they saw and it works, then thats it. The wasp nest is easily remedied and you should do it.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19456 posts
22580 upvotes
GTA
vernonco wrote: If its unconditional, you just have to provide the home as they saw it. If the stove was the same that they saw and it works, then thats it. The wasp nest is easily remedied and you should do it.
+1, you need to provide the home to them as they bought it. Since the wasp nest is a new vermin, hit it with some wasp spray to kill them and get rid of it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22829 posts
21662 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
vernonco wrote: If its unconditional, you just have to provide the home as they saw it. If the stove was the same that they saw and it works, then thats it. The wasp nest is easily remedied and you should do it.
This

Wasp nest … that one makes sense

An appliance … the new home owners can POUND SALT
It’s a frickin USED Appliance
It of course may have issues

I think most COMMON SENSE home buyers expect they’ll have the cost of replacing some of the stuff left behind … including appliances

Unless a house is a NEW BUILD no buyer should expect everything to run perfectly
And some things will be wearing out / worn out

Heck … most houses I have bought don’t even come with the appliances
Lots of folks take them with them to their next house
And that’s understandable
Take my good working stuff … vs inherit someone else’s crap
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
9972 posts
4251 upvotes
Vaughan
spena wrote: Buyers visited our house (or their house) as part of their 2 visitations and raised concern about wasp nest forming up in the roof and is asking us to hire an exterminator AND also concern about the electric stove doesnt get 'hot enough'.

Was the wasp nest there earlier when they bought the house? Weather impacts the nest.

Stove, you don’t have to fix it. The same stove when they bought the house,I assume.

What next on their list, fridge, washer/dryer, furnace, A/C? Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11972 posts
7131 upvotes
Paris
PointsHubby wrote: Unless a house is a NEW BUILD no buyer should expect everything to run perfectly
Are you new to this forum? How many “Builder did XXX do I go through Tarion?” Threads are there in a year? :)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22829 posts
21662 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Jerico wrote: Are you new to this forum? How many “Builder did XXX do I go through Tarion?” Threads are there in a year? :)
Lol … thanks for the chuckle

Even tho it’s not always factual … the intent should be there = NEW HOME is meant to be delivered in good working order

Old house = old problems

Used appliances = other peoples CRAP

Which is why I think most folks look at them as an added freebie … same as light fixtures, ceiling fans, window treatments etc

Clean up & keep or toss.

Lol, I even know folks who PURPOSELY rip out toilets … cuz the whole thought of using someone else’s CRAPper is too much for them to handle

Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1594 posts
963 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
PointsHubby wrote: Lol … thanks for the chuckle

Even tho it’s not always factual … the intent should be there = NEW HOME is meant to be delivered in good working order

Old house = old problems

Used appliances = other peoples CRAP

Which is why I think most folks look at them as an added freebie … same as light fixtures, ceiling fans, window treatments etc

Clean up & keep or toss.

Lol, I even know folks who PURPOSELY rip out toilets … cuz the whole thought of using someone else’s CRAPper is too much for them to handle

Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Lol, that would be me. Bought a house that's 3 years old and replacing all the toilets. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Nov 13, 2019
315 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
kittypink wrote: Lol, that would be me. Bought a house that's 3 years old and replacing all the toilets. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Yea, ew cooties
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19456 posts
22580 upvotes
GTA
kittypink wrote: Lol, that would be me. Bought a house that's 3 years old and replacing all the toilets. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Same here. If they're not new, quality toilets, I replace them with properly sized, high flow, quality toilets. Not about cooties, more about having a nice looking, comfortable place to sit.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5554 posts
1775 upvotes
Toronto
Wasp def should deal with it now, esp you still have 2 months to live there yourself.

Complain about stove is stupid. Next time they should tried bake a turkey during house inspection before signing offer lol.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11972 posts
7131 upvotes
Paris
PointsHubby wrote:
I have an acquaintance that rips out the toilets AND tubs whenever buying a house. I have stayed in a hotel same time as them and had to explain I had really bad news about their room.

I often ask for appliances to be included and use them until my new stuff comes in and donate to the less fortunate. Or one time I bought a house with appliances and swapped those in my existing house where I wanted to take mine with me.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7388 posts
3113 upvotes
Wasp nest is easy fix, spray it and be done. The stove issue might be more problematic. I think the only time buyers can't come back with an issue is if the home was sold, in the p&s agreement, in "as is" condition. Unconditional =/= as is.

While I absolutely agree with the sentiment that it isn't sellers problem, I'm not sure that is actually the case
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5957 posts
1613 upvotes
Milton
appreciate everyone's feedback. I already taken care of the waspnest with the spray and powerwash.

The stove is a little challenging as the cost to inspect is $79 plus tax and may leave it is as-is. We dont bake often so we never noticed the heat difference so Im surprised they actually ran our stove in the first place.

I wouldnt be surprised on their final visit if they start running the laundry and washer to check those as well..
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1637 posts
963 upvotes
I would just spray the wasp nest with this - https://www.homedepot.ca/product/wilson ... 1000410968

There's no reason you need to hire an exterminator. Unless the stove doesn't boil water, I think they're being ridiculous.

Oct 25, 2017
982 posts
1010 upvotes
spena wrote: appreciate everyone's feedback. I already taken care of the waspnest with the spray and powerwash.

The stove is a little challenging as the cost to inspect is $79 plus tax and may leave it is as-is. We dont bake often so we never noticed the heat difference so Im surprised they actually ran our stove in the first place.

I wouldnt be surprised on their final visit if they start running the laundry and washer to check those as well..
The seller of our house actually asked us to check the appliances were working during our home inspection, we ended up having to replace our dryer which was working at the time, two months later. Did you use a realtor for this sale, perhaps they can weigh in on what you should do and or discuss with buyers realtor (assuming they used one) to get a sensible outcome for both.

Otherwise I agree with the other posts, wasp nest is probably your problem to deal with, and in my inexperienced opinion the appliance is theirs to deal with…otherwise where does it stop “hot water isn’t hot enough” “dishwasher isn’t quiet enough”
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
7388 posts
3113 upvotes
spena wrote: appreciate everyone's feedback. I already taken care of the waspnest with the spray and powerwash.

Fwiw, when I sold my condo (back in 2009, market wasn't crazy hot like now) the buyer came back and complained about a closet shelf not being properly attached on one side. This offer was unconditional as well. I told my agent they could blow, I wasn't doing anything about it. My agent got her handy-man in and he fixed it up.

I know a closet shelf isn't exactly a stove, but tell your agent you have no intention of doing anything and see what they say.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4822 posts
920 upvotes
Georgetown

"Hot enough" sounds very subjective. If the stove works properly, that is what they bought. If it breaks during the couple months between the sale and when they take possession, you should resolve the issue.

If you can boil water and make pasta on the stove... then it works. If it actually doesn't heat up properly, you need to decide if you are sticking to the "unconditional" offer and essentially are saying it was like that when they bought the home. However, I believe you are supposed to be honest about known issues prior to sale and not try to hide them. This particular issue is in an iffy zone to me. You may "technically" be in the right though due to the unconditional offer - but I don't believe for a second that you were unaware of a broken stove (if that is what you are claiming), and you knew you were selling your house with a defective appliance without declaring it. Once again - this is only if the stove is truly not working correctly. If it "works"... and they are just being picky... 100% have them pound dirt (ie. politely respond that you tested the stove and boiled water just fine so it is in working order).

Deal with the wasp nest with the proper stray (wait until dusk, shoot the high pressure stream into the nest and soak it - then scrape it off the next day)
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Agree with others.

Re stove: what measure of heat are they looking from. Are they looking to get a wok screaming hot? If so, an electric stove will never make enough heat.

As someone mentioned, your RE agent may be willing to eat the 79 bucks for the inspection. There was a house in my family that was sold recently due to a death and the agent had flowers planted and the garage doors and front door painted.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
11972 posts
7131 upvotes
Paris

As is for the stove. Wasp nest was presumably added after they bought. They can pound salt.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)