Buying a 2021 Range Rover Velar in couple of days

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2021 10:32 pm
[OP]
Oct 14, 2008
58 posts
22 upvotes

Buying a 2021 Range Rover Velar in couple of days

I've never bought anything from Land Rover before, Can anyone give me a run-down and some tips on what I can negotiate? I have plenty of experience with Fords, but nothing as Fancy as Land Rover. (Alberta)

Still deciding between leasing or financing.

Do they have maintenance packages? car rental or courtesy car for when the vehicle is getting service or worked on?

Rims/tire warranty? etc...

Probably wont go for the extended warranty as we are leaning towards leasing, so probably lease it for however long the standard warranty is good for.

Anything I gotta watch out, or any gotchas?

I would appreciate the help fellas.

Thanks
109 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8953 posts
1437 upvotes
We have had 2, I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. From what I hear from my friend, service dept is still a POS.

I would definitely get extended warranty.
[OP]
Oct 14, 2008
58 posts
22 upvotes
Can you expand on your experience a bit? I searched on reddit about Velar, and turned up with roughly equal amount of good and bad reviews. One of the common problem was the infotainment.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12821 posts
1870 upvotes
Toronto
I would definitely not finance. Not a car you'd want to hold onto, long-term.
Deal with it.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8953 posts
1437 upvotes
ConeBone69 wrote: Can you expand on your experience a bit? I searched on reddit about Velar, and turned up with roughly equal amount of good and bad reviews. One of the common problem was the infotainment.
The service department to this day have no clue on how to fix a car. I met someone through work, he told me his range rover he got back, they forgot to reconnect the fan for the engine. He lives in Arizona and the car overheated.

On mine we had a oil leak and some issues with some buttons on the overhead controls. On the hottest weekend of the year they drove the car back to me with all the windows down. I asked why and he said he like the heat. Afterwards I left work, I realzie the AC was not connected and they left all sorts of dirty hand prints on the overhead controls. Everytime we had issues it took them two times to get it fixed.

My body tells me when his friend has issues (which is a lot) with his range rover, he does all the service himself since the dealer doesn't know how to fix anything.

You may never have a problem, but when you do, you will pull out your hair trying to fix it. Honestly they are the biggest piece of junk on the road. People lease them for a reason, never buy. Do you ever see many old range rovers on the road?

I don't doubt they are good looking vehicles and im always curious if they have improved their reliability. Then I hear A horror story similar to what i have experience and that's all I need to stay away from the brand.

If I were you, I would consider leasing and if you like the car, consider buying it out. I would never finance a land rover right at the start.

I have been through many luxury brands and Land Rover is one that I would never go back to.
Aug 18, 2013
312 posts
572 upvotes
Next door
Google is your friend:

Range Rover reliability
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5218 posts
3647 upvotes
Ontario
Local Ontario dealer has 2021 Velar R Dumamic S and 2022 Defender SE for same price with same 3L 6cyl 8sp powertrain and delivery km.

Neither vehicle is flying off the shelf. I would be looking for a heavy discount or longest warranty for free. Dealer should be able to stand by such a vehicle and include extended warranty imo when they have stock to clear.

Between the two I would go for the Defender - roomier, newer model, more rugged looking (VERY cool imo) , will hold value better.

Howver I could probaby get the same features with better reliability for significantly less money with other brands.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4229 posts
513 upvotes
Honestly at this price range, why not consider a Y?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4106 posts
4306 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Good vehicle to lease.

My parents have one (not the velar) and when its running properly its a lovely vehicle. The issue is all the problems are difficult to diagnose and then after finally figuring it out parts are ridiculously expensive. Currently they own it with an extended warranty and planning to get rid of it once the warranty runs out. Regularly have error messages with the cameras, air suspension, engine lights, etc. The most annoying part is that its not consistent, so you'll have all these problems and drop it at the mechanic who start it up and it works perfectly with useless diagnostic errors saved. You take it back and a week later they come back.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5218 posts
3647 upvotes
Ontario
CatDog wrote: Honestly at this price range, why not consider a Y?
Because its a hatchback version of the Model 3 not a luxury "SUV"?

Having said that I will likely be waiting for a BEV SUV even though it will be a few years yet before mainstream brands produce one

If there is no news by the time my Lightning reservation matures I may go with that.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4229 posts
513 upvotes
Bevatron wrote: Because its a hatchback version of the Model 3 not a luxury "SUV"?

Having said that I will likely be waiting for a BEV SUV even though it will be a few years yet before mainstream brands produce one

If there is no news by the time my Lightning reservation matures I may go with that.
Y is luxury enough - big display and no waiting at a gas pump like a peasant supporting big oil.

A mainstream brand already produces an SUV - Tesla. Y and X.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5218 posts
3647 upvotes
Ontario
CatDog wrote: Y is luxury enough - big display and no waiting at a gas pump like a peasant supporting big oil.

Tesla Y is not really a SUV replacement for me. A big screen doesn't define luxury for me.

Model X is far too complex and therfore very expensive. I could happily lose the silly doors, glass roof and "self driving but not" if it meant I could get one at a more affordable price.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1963 posts
2687 upvotes
GTA
Work colleague has the 2020 Range Rover Sport and it's spent more time in service than on the road.

I have heard the two best days of ownership are the first and last day.

Lease, don't buy as it will cost more in the long run.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8953 posts
1437 upvotes
CatDog wrote: Y is luxury enough - big display and no waiting at a gas pump like a peasant supporting big oil.

I wouldn't consider a Y a SUV. Maybe a CUV.

I wouldn't consider it luxury, not in any sense of the word as it was on my list of cuv/suv to look at. Some people like the industrial minimalist design and there's nothing wrong with that. But it is not luxury.

Unless you're at Costco, I never see gas stations full enough that people have to wait. Only thing that sucks is having to pay for the gas. Maintenance is also better no doubt.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
15160 posts
6228 upvotes
RFD
Good brand to impress people with its looks and fool others about the drivers financial status for some who fall for that, but anyone who knows about cars knows this isn't something to keep long term. Land Rover is one of the worst brands in terms of dependability and says the owner doesn't know much about cars. Reliability is a major reason why the vast majority are leased.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5218 posts
3647 upvotes
Ontario
radeonboy wrote:
Land Rover is one of the worst brands in terms of dependability and says the owner doesn't know much about cars.
Are you saying Doug DeMuro and Jeremy Clarkson don't know much about cars"? For some people the pleasure and utility they get from the vehicle compensates for the increased risk of issues.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2004
15160 posts
6228 upvotes
RFD
Bevatron wrote: Are you saying Doug DeMuro and Jeremy Clarkson don't know much about cars"? For some people the pleasure and utility they get from the vehicle compensates for the increased risk of issues.
Both are multi millionaires with money to burn, more so with Clarkson.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8953 posts
1437 upvotes
radeonboy wrote: Both are multi millionaires with money to burn, more so with Clarkson.
Maybe Bevatron has crazy money to care about issues, more power to him.

No matter the financial position of anyone I've spoken to, no one likes their cars constantly sitting at the dealership getting repaired, even Clarkson. I think one of the reasons he sold his 2000 Ford GT cause it was constantly requiring fuel due to the poor mpg.

Talking greatly about a car that is under warranty and where majority of the owners lease, is much different then dealing with the reliability factor long term.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2015
2953 posts
1536 upvotes
Calgary, AB
It may be worth broadening your horizon if you don’t get a good deal from an Albertan LR dealer. The only person I know with a LR here ended up getting it shopped from Ontario as the price was better than the local LR dealer could offer.

And yes, it’s a LR, so it’s going to have problems...