None
[OP]
Apr 16, 2012
232 posts
66 upvotes
London

Buying a 2nd hand iPhone (Blacklist?)

Hey everyone,

I'm picking up an iPhone later this evening and I was wondering if there was any way I could prevent the previous owner from blacklisting it after they have the money. It sounds paranoid but I don't want to end up with a paperweight. I'm wondering if theres a way I can check if the imei has been blacklisted, and does anybody know, would it make a difference if I were to call Rogers after purchasing and update the IMEI on my account to be the one from the phone I just purchased.

Thanks!
25 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18680 posts
2399 upvotes
Woodbridge
Not guaranteed but see if you can meet up at seller's carrier, where it was activated and get them to remove the EMEI from the account.

I remember when I first learned about Blacklisting, when I started asking to meet up at carrier not one did, I got the I don't drive, busy or simply ignored.

I would cancel, try the BST here.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Nov 26, 2014
127 posts
136 upvotes
Calgary
I find the best place to buy used iPhones is off a local car enthusiast websites. I've bought a couple from there and no problems.
[OP]
Apr 16, 2012
232 posts
66 upvotes
London
bembol wrote: Not guaranteed but see if you can meet up at seller's carrier, where it was activated and get them to remove the EMEI from the account.

I remember when I first learned about Blacklisting, when I started asking to meet up at carrier not one did, I got the I don't drive, busy or simply ignored.

I would cancel, try the BST here.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll see if he's willing to meet at a Rogers store nearby. As for the BST, I've been looking through it for about a week now while I've been hunting for a phone and it's either overpriced iPhone 4/5/5s's or they will only meet face to face in the GTA (I'm in London..). It amazes me still how much people think an iPhone 5 or 5s is worth when it's already 2-3 generations behind (Kijiji included, not just the BST)
Dec 26, 2014
683 posts
577 upvotes
ON
Even if you meet at the carrier store and have it removed from their account, it is not a sure fire way to prevent blacklisting. When dealing with second hand phone purchases there is absolutely nothing in this world that you can do to prevent blacklisting.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
680 upvotes
Toronto, ON
CalmThatCat wrote: Hey everyone,

I'm picking up an iPhone later this evening and I was wondering if there was any way I could prevent the previous owner from blacklisting it after they have the money. It sounds paranoid but I don't want to end up with a paperweight. I'm wondering if theres a way I can check if the imei has been blacklisted, and does anybody know, would it make a difference if I were to call Rogers after purchasing and update the IMEI on my account to be the one from the phone I just purchased.

Thanks!
Like others have said there's absolutely no way of guaranteeing that phone doesn't get blacklisted when buying it used from an individual.

Only way to ensure you don't get blacklisted (even if it happens accidentally due to clerical error, you can get it corrected) is buying it directly from the carrier, apple store, a reputable retailer and maintaining receipts (with serial # on the receipt).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2013
5686 posts
1424 upvotes
Manila, Philippines

Thanks!
Another victim of blacklisted phone.

Freedom Mobile
Line 1 $50 20gb with 35% F&F LG Velvet
Line 2 $50 20gb with 35% F&F Samsung S21
Line 3 $65 20gb with 35% F&F iPhone 11
Line 4 $65 20gb with 35% F&F iPhone 11

Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2006
3625 posts
936 upvotes
Home

I'm picking up an iPhone later this evening and I was wondering if there was any way I could prevent the previous owner from blacklisting it NO after they have the money NO. It sounds paranoid No it doesn't. but I don't want to end up with a paperweight. I'm wondering if theres a way I can check if the imei has been blacklisted, and does anybody know, would it make a difference NO if I were to call Rogers after purchasing and update the IMEI on my account to be the one from the phone I just purchased.

Thanks!
Please. Just stay away.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5081 posts
1037 upvotes
Montreal
Should I worry about this if I were to buy a new sealed in box phone off Kijiji?
Sep 23, 2013
541 posts
562 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
cn_habs wrote: Should I worry about this if I were to buy a new sealed in box phone off Kijiji?
New sealed in box is no different than any other used phone. In fact, it's more dangerous. Many people think sealed is safe and dont open and test. Countless stories of people coming home to open their shiny boxes and find a very expensive bag of rice in there.

Unfortunately for buyers, we now live in a time where the only safe way to get a phone is to buy new from a trusted seller. Good deterrant for the black market, bad for those who dont wanna drop a grand or sign a contract.
Jan 15, 2016
158 posts
31 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Some advice I got from a friend was to meet at a bank, so you get them on camera and also so that you can take out the cash once you are sure the phone is good. Then take a picture of their ID in case something happens later on.
I supposed that is your only recourse and then contact the police with their information if they blacklist it after the fact. Hopefully you can get some CCTV footage so you have video evidence on your side.
Dec 26, 2014
683 posts
577 upvotes
ON
Kintaromk2 wrote: Some advice I got from a friend was to meet at a bank, so you get them on camera and also so that you can take out the cash once you are sure the phone is good. Then take a picture of their ID in case something happens later on.
I supposed that is your only recourse and then contact the police with their information if they blacklist it after the fact. Hopefully you can get some CCTV footage so you have video evidence on your side.
That simply won't happen. The police will not go requesting CCTV footage over an unlawfully blacklisted phone. And the bank most certainly will not provide it to you if you request it. If you are robbed of your cash in the bank, then yes, the police will get the footage. Meeting at a bank to prevent a blacklist is no different then meeting in a Tim Hortons, or a parking lot for that matter.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1469 posts
511 upvotes
Ottawa
cn_habs wrote: Should I worry about this if I were to buy a new sealed in box phone off Kijiji?
New sealed in box phones off Kijiji are probably the most risky ones. Guys with fake/stolen credit card buy a bunch of new phones and sold them at nearly retail price. CC company charge back and carrier put all the phones on blacklist. Buyer now have a nice new paperweight.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2008
1184 posts
125 upvotes
Markham
Would meeting up at a police station for this transaction help in this situation ?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2009
5081 posts
1037 upvotes
Montreal
hartzfizzo wrote: New sealed in box is no different than any other used phone. In fact, it's more dangerous. Many people think sealed is safe and dont open and test. Countless stories of people coming home to open their shiny boxes and find a very expensive bag of rice in there.

Unfortunately for buyers, we now live in a time where the only safe way to get a phone is to buy new from a trusted seller. Good deterrant for the black market, bad for those who dont wanna drop a grand or sign a contract.
csi123 wrote: New sealed in box phones off Kijiji are probably the most risky ones. Guys with fake/stolen credit card buy a bunch of new phones and sold them at nearly retail price. CC company charge back and carrier put all the phones on blacklist. Buyer now have a nice new paperweight.
I guess I'll hold off from buying a Nexus 6P from a guy that claimed he won it with a raffle ticket. He did give me his name which probably doesn't mean much.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
22151 posts
26016 upvotes
Toronto
mzkaye729 wrote: Would meeting up at a police station for this transaction help in this situation ?
only in the sense that it might scare off some scammers. If somebody won't meet you at police station consider yourself lucky, you likely avoided getting ripped off.
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12371 posts
3530 upvotes
Buy a phone that can have the imei swapped
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
19807 posts
9229 upvotes
Oakville
Yeah, there is no way to guarantee it won't get blacklisted when buying used. Period. You could go with somebody like GetOrchard that offers a guarantee, but off Kijiji? Nope. And as for "It amazes me still how much people think an iPhone 5 or 5s is worth" - if that's what the market will bear, then that's what it's worth.