• Last Updated:
  • Aug 26th, 2020 1:38 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3442 posts
287 upvotes

Buying a 5TB to shuck from bestbuy, how do I know if it’s CMR or 7200RPM

I want fast 7200rpm drive for gaming, how do I k ow if the drive I want to shuck will be CMR and 7200?

Also can I re-use the external case for another drive, and will warranty be an issue since if I call the manufacturer, meaning I can’t provide a bill that shows I bought the stand alone I get all drive after I shuck it.

Best Buy has a few 5TB externals, no idea which one to buy, looking for some help

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?search=5TB+portable
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2943 upvotes
Others will have to chime in, but i believe this line has the usb soldered onto the drive so this wouldnt be suitable for much of anything other than in an enclosure of some sort.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
4049 posts
1174 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
what does it mean when you say "to shuck"? what is shucking mean for hard disk drives?
Hi
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2931 posts
918 upvotes
Ottawa
GoodFellaz wrote: what does it mean when you say "to shuck"? what is shucking mean for hard disk drives?
The term comes from oysters. It means to buy an External Harddrive, and open the enclosure to take just the internal drive inside and use it.
Assuming you don't break the enclosure, you can repurpose it for some older drive.

The reason for this is that a lot of times, it's cheaper to shuck an external HDD, than to buy an internal one.

Edit: Forgot to mention, you are often sacrificing warranty for this discount. You can still play the lottery and see if they would accept the RMA warranty request, but there's always the chance they'll reject it when they receive it.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3611 posts
928 upvotes
Adding to this topic. What's with the 3V problem with some shucked drive?.. Have to tape off a few pins? Can someone chime in on that?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2943 upvotes
coilz wrote: Adding to this topic. What's with the 3V problem with some shucked drive?.. Have to tape off a few pins? Can someone chime in on that?
WD White 5400 drives in an enclosure has this issue. Some PSU will handle it and you wont need to, other older PSU when plugged into the drive wont s tart the drive up unless it is taped on a pin on the SATA connector of the drive.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5022 posts
2198 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Akitakara wrote: The term comes from oysters. It means to buy an External Harddrive, and open the enclosure to take just the internal drive inside and use it.
The shucking tool everyone needs. Made in Canada too.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2009
2470 posts
1277 upvotes
Winnipeg
Don't know any external drives that are 7200rpm.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2459 posts
1291 upvotes
Mississauga
FrostyWinnipeg wrote: Don't know any external drives that are 7200rpm.
Seagate ones are. But in 10-12TB versions.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
2459 posts
1291 upvotes
Mississauga
badOne wrote: Others will have to chime in, but i believe this line has the usb soldered onto the drive so this wouldnt be suitable for much of anything other than in an enclosure of some sort.
Yeah, the items in the bestbuy search results are most likely soldered. Also, almost everything under 8TB is guaranteed to be SMR drives.
Apr 29, 2018
856 posts
484 upvotes
Vancouver
SMR has nothing to do with RPM

SMR impacts the performance when dealing with small files

RPM is the speed at which the disk rotates. The 6/8TB Seagate 3.5" External Drives which often go on sale for ~100, normally have a Seagate Green drive in them. These are 7200 RPM Desktop drives.

Also, the RMA people are not dumb. When you are dealing with drives on a daily basis, it is pretty freaking obvious when someone is trying to mess with them. If you shuck a drive, which then dies, you'll probably be able to get a replacement if you put it back in the same case. Sure they will know it has been opened, but will probably replace it, as long as there is no intent of fraud.

Finally, stay away from WD externals. They normally do not have a SATA port and the ones that do, have this weird PIN BS that you gotta do.

Though for fastest performance go for an SSD. 7200 RPM drives are good for storage purposes and are not that much faster than a 5400RPM, specially when you consider a SSD.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
12975 upvotes
Rockstead wrote: I want fast 7200rpm drive for gaming,
Typically speaking, a single hard drive isn't really fast. Even the difference between 5400RPM and 7200RPM isn't that great, especially when you compare a hard drive to an SSD.
how do I k ow if the drive I want to shuck will be CMR and 7200?
You don't and you don't.
Also can I re-use the external case for another drive
Depends on the model of external. But generally speaking if you can shuck a drive for use (ie it's not soldered) you can reuse the case.
, and will warranty be an issue since if I call the manufacturer, meaning I can’t provide a bill that shows I bought the stand alone I get all drive after I shuck it.
You'll have to unshuck the drive for warranty. Even then they may deny it.
Best Buy has a few 5TB externals, no idea which one to buy, looking for some help

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/search?search=5TB+portable
I'm not even sure if you want 2.5" or 3.5" at this point.

coilz wrote: Adding to this topic. What's with the 3V problem with some shucked drive?.. Have to tape off a few pins? Can someone chime in on that?
There's a specification where the 3.3V pin is a "reset". By applying power to this, the drive resets. This is often quite useful for drives that have fallen out of a RAID but are still good. A reset basically presents the drive to the controller again.
However, this is a bad thing since anything that passes 3.3V to the drive will permanently reset this. This is why you have to block the signal somehow.
Depending on your setup, it may not even pass the 3.3V. This is why some people recommend Molex to SATA splitters because they don't have 3.3V present.
Unless you know (or research it) you won't know until you try it on your setup.
kramer1 wrote: SMR impacts the performance when dealing with small files
It really only is an issue when you're writing data to a place that used to have data on it. File size doesn't really matter. If anything, small files are better for SMR because there's less stuff to move.
The reason SMR "sucks" is because the tracks are written to the platter like shingles. You can "remove" one row without wrecking an adjacent row.
So if you delete data and put new data where the old data is, everything nearby has to be moved to a new place so the old track has enough room to be written again.
This causes twice the write operations because it has to move the old non deleted data and write new data.

EDIT: Note: SMR has no effect on read speeds. The read head is smaller than the write head so it's able to read at full speed regardless.
It's only write speeds that are affected by SMR. Even this isn't an issue if you write once and read many. It's only when you write many times that you encounter speed issues.
Finally, stay away from WD externals. They normally do not have a SATA port and the ones that do, have this weird PIN BS that you gotta do.
The lack of SATA port only applies to 2.5" drives.
The "PIN BS" applies to 3.5" drives.
One is easy to overcome via tape.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15564 posts
4152 upvotes
Markham
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15564 posts
4152 upvotes
Markham
If you want 5TB with 7200RPM, then you are looking for 3.5" drives
2.5" drives ( usually for notebooks) are mostly 5400 RPM drives
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15564 posts
4152 upvotes
Markham
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)