Real Estate

Buying agent with most cash back?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2020 12:21 am
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2004
1460 posts
497 upvotes
kulb wrote: I am in Mississauga Heartland area, looking to sell and buy bigger house in the near future. It been over 10 years since I bought my current house hence I am not sure what to expect in terms of paying commissions.

How do I go about finding the right & honest realtor? If I use the same realtor to sell and buy, how much should I expect to pay in commissions on sale of my house? On the buying transaction, how much cashback is typically offered?

Thanks.
I usually suggest lining them up and have them walk on burning coal. Once they cross the other side, check their feet. If the feet are burnt, that's no good. If the feet are fine, they're probably right and honest.

But seriously, talk to a few - maybe your friends/family have some recommendation or you can reach out the realtors here. You can read their reviews, ask for references, ask how they work and anything else you feel you'd like to know. Once you feel comfortable enough with someone, then consider working with them. If they are sincere, reciprocate that sincerity.

You'll probably get various quotes from different realtors but since you're looking to work with someone new then I'd suggest keeping the two transactions separate. In case you don't like the experience of the first transaction, you aren't committed to the second.

All the best
Heatware: 9-0-0
Realtor @ Royal LePage Ignite Realty
Sep 13, 2007
148 posts
183 upvotes
toronto
Clueless Fox wrote: I usually suggest lining them up and have them walk on burning coal. Once they cross the other side, check their feet. If the feet are burnt, that's no good. If the feet are fine, they're probably right and honest.

But seriously, talk to a few - maybe your friends/family have some recommendation or you can reach out the realtors here. You can read their reviews, ask for references, ask how they work and anything else you feel you'd like to know. Once you feel comfortable enough with someone, then consider working with them. If they are sincere, reciprocate that sincerity.

You'll probably get various quotes from different realtors but since you're looking to work with someone new then I'd suggest keeping the two transactions separate. In case you don't like the experience of the first transaction, you aren't committed to the second.

All the best
Aah, that walk on the burning coal trick always works ;-)
Oct 21, 2013
266 posts
111 upvotes
waterloo, on
Clueless Fox wrote: I usually suggest lining them up and have them walk on burning coal. Once they cross the other side, check their feet. If the feet are burnt, that's no good. If the feet are fine, they're probably right and honest.

All the best
You can try asking them do a bunjee jump too. Good one will bounce back and not so good one will say you hi from bottom.
Aug 9, 2017
6 posts
2 upvotes
Hey, looking to buy a home in the coming weeks/months in the Durham area. Let me know if there are any realtors willing to provide some cashback etc.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
7972 posts
380 upvotes
Looking for a buyer agent with cash back in York region. Please DM with your rebate level and what services you will and will not provide.
October 2015 for sale, PM for details!
PS3 EA Sports Active 2 $20
195-65-15 Winter tire with alloy wheel $500
Apr 10, 2020
14 posts
5 upvotes
Hi there,
Looking to buy a home in Durham region. If there are any buyers agents willing to help, please DM me with your rebate level/cash back and what services you will and will not provide.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1982 posts
933 upvotes
YYZ
i laughed after reading a chunk of this thread.
some asking for 90% cashback
others saying 0

at the end of the day this thread has somewhat turned into a bidding war for realtors to turn on each other

"IM LOOKING TO BUY A HOME I'VE ALREADY DONE ALL THE WORK GIVE ME YOUR MAX CASHBACK
- hey what homes were you looking at?
I WANT A HOUSE IN CENTRAL MISSISSAUGA, BUT IVE ALREADY BEEN OFFERED 70% CASHBACK. CAN YOU BEAT IT?"

I really do feel bad for realtors who are as desperate to offer such cash backs.
Why would I ever want my clients running to tell their friends"oh hey XYZ gives 70% cashbacks on everything" so they come to me, I unknowingly do all the leg work, and then once they find out I don't want to offer 70% cash back they run to the first agent who will offer that to them.
I personally don't do business in that manner. I know my worth, i know what value i bring to the table, and if you think that someone else can offer you more value I insist you go with them not me.

I try to build lasting relationships with all my clients from day one. I'm a firm believer in quality over quantity.
that being said every case is different. I have had situations where the buyer has done all the work, in which case I would offer a rebate due to their due diligence and hard work.

I wish all the discount realtors luck in all their endeavors. I'll continue to read this thread for some good laughs.
Licensed Full Service Realtor
Sep 15, 2003
245 posts
129 upvotes
Toronto
I love all the lasting relationship answers to the value agents bring. Majority of people will buy or sell once in a lifetime. You can keep your relationships if it will save me $20k.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4542 posts
2178 upvotes
Toronto
It's a free market, so many agents, people have to adapt.
You can either do a few deals at full pop, or do a lot of deals and make less per deal.
I choose the latter. and I have been very successful with that approach.
Majority of agents do not even do 1 deal, let alone 5 deals.
Full-time Realtor
May 4, 2008
716 posts
26 upvotes
Looking to purchase a pre-construction semi-detached or detached house in either vaughan, Richmond hill or Stouffville area. What would be a fair % of cash back to ask for? Most of the developments I’ve found myself and sent over to the realtor to ask for access to the development.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4542 posts
2178 upvotes
Toronto
1barginxhunter91 wrote: Looking to purchase a pre-construction semi-detached or detached house in either vaughan, Richmond hill or Stouffville area. What would be a fair % of cash back to ask for?
Depends on the builder coop they are offering.
Some builders do not offer anything, some may offer 10k, some may offer 2.5%. but nothing more really. and if its a hot project like Union Village, no agent will offer you a rebate on the commission.
Full-time Realtor
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
17463 posts
4336 upvotes
Toronto
1barginxhunter91 wrote: Looking to purchase a pre-construction semi-detached or detached house in either vaughan, Richmond hill or Stouffville area. What would be a fair % of cash back to ask for? Most of the developments I’ve found myself and sent over to the realtor to ask for access to the development.
oasis100 wrote: Depends on the builder coop they are offering.
Some builders do not offer anything, some may offer 10k, some may offer 2.5%. but nothing more really. and if its a hot project like Union Village, no agent will offer you a rebate on the commission.
To add to the "Hot project" Most agents won't even offer you a property...I had over 300 completed worksheets (this is a record for me!) come to me for the Brampton CityPointe project...only got a few units. Things got so crazy people tried offering me tens of thousands to give them the units, but I stuck to first come first serve...

Point being - Detached/Semi Detached you can barely get a unit in a hot new development, cashback is unlikely.
Real Estate Agent, MAcc, CPA, CA
Jul 5, 2012
20 posts
65 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
deal_with_singh wrote: To add to the "Hot project" Most agents won't even offer you a property...I had over 300 completed worksheets (this is a record for me!) come to me for the Brampton CityPointe project...only got a few units. Things got so crazy people tried offering me tens of thousands to give them the units, but I stuck to first come first serve...

Point being - Detached/Semi Detached you can barely get a unit in a hot new development, cashback is unlikely.
Was this by Opus Homes? I thought there launching september 26th
realtor
Dec 12, 2011
121 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
bLuPhYrE wrote: i laughed after reading a chunk of this thread.
some asking for 90% cashback
others saying 0

at the end of the day this thread has somewhat turned into a bidding war for realtors to turn on each other

"IM LOOKING TO BUY A HOME I'VE ALREADY DONE ALL THE WORK GIVE ME YOUR MAX CASHBACK
- hey what homes were you looking at?
I WANT A HOUSE IN CENTRAL MISSISSAUGA, BUT IVE ALREADY BEEN OFFERED 70% CASHBACK. CAN YOU BEAT IT?"

I really do feel bad for realtors who are as desperate to offer such cash backs.
Why would I ever want my clients running to tell their friends"oh hey XYZ gives 70% cashbacks on everything" so they come to me, I unknowingly do all the leg work, and then once they find out I don't want to offer 70% cash back they run to the first agent who will offer that to them.
I personally don't do business in that manner. I know my worth, i know what value i bring to the table, and if you think that someone else can offer you more value I insist you go with them not me.

I try to build lasting relationships with all my clients from day one. I'm a firm believer in quality over quantity.
that being said every case is different. I have had situations where the buyer has done all the work, in which case I would offer a rebate due to their due diligence and hard work.

I wish all the discount realtors luck in all their endeavors. I'll continue to read this thread for some good laughs.
I really respect that man. When we bought our house, I thought me and my realtor would be homeboys forever. We just clicked you na mean? He ended up getting married a year later and not only was I not asked to be in his wedding party, I didnt even get a stinking invite!