• Jan 11th, 2020 10:25 pm
[OP]
Dec 2, 2015
15 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Buying alcohol in Spain: Best place/items

Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on what alcohol to bring back to Canada from Spain. Are there any brands/types that are hard to find in Canada or just much more expensive?
Also how good is the Duty Free alcohol at BCN airport vs. buying it at a store in Barcelona?

I was leaning towards one 700ml bottle of cream liquor and a 700ml bottle of wine or vermouth or port
I know limit is 1.14L alcohol or 1.5L wine but how could I combine the two? Would 700ml alcohol and 700ml wine together be over my limit?
Is there a limit for alcohol content when a vermouth/port isn't considered a wine beverage anymore? (as far as customs is concerned anyways)

Any advice is very much welcome. I really like sweeter alcohol, cream liquor, rum and bourbon.

Thanks in advance!
12 replies
Jan 17, 2017
234 posts
132 upvotes
Google BCN duty free. Many airport have a website that you can check some prices before. I was there a few months ago and looked at scotch. I picked up 2 ok deals but don't remember the prices being very good in general.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2015
15 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I looked at the BCN but I don't know what local prices in Barcelona are to compare. Do you know anything about how customs calculates duty free allowance if you mix liquor and wine?
Jan 17, 2017
234 posts
132 upvotes
teachit wrote: I looked at the BCN but I don't know what local prices in Barcelona are to compare. Do you know anything about how customs calculates duty free allowance if you mix liquor and wine?
I only briefly looked in a store at scotch and remember it to be high. Just in case you didn't know, if you buy in a store you have to pack the alcohol in your checked luggage and wrap it carefully.

No idea about mixing. If you are going with someone else, use limits for each of you (I.e. one person wine other liquor).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8414 posts
1309 upvotes
Vancouver
Does your final flight to Canada have in flight duty free? Air Canada’s duty free is usually a good deal and you can order a head. It’s all in Canadian dollars and you get a few Aeroplan miles
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Dec 2, 2015
15 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's just me, I looked but I can't find any information about how I would add it up
For GangStarr: I'm not going with Air Canada, it's a European airline and has very limited duty free, nothing I like
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1293 posts
824 upvotes
Brampton
Search Mercado supermarket flyer or Lidl Spain flyer
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1293 posts
824 upvotes
Brampton
Also Aldi is cheap store almost anywhere in Europe
Jan 4, 2007
397 posts
149 upvotes
Vancouver
We found a huge alcohol section in the basement food floor of the Barcelona Corte Ingles back in Sept. 2016. Picked up a bottle of Rio Tinto Rioja wine for €14.28 as a gift for a friend. We’re not wine experts but we picked a winner after our friends raved about the taste.
[OP]
Dec 2, 2015
15 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
seems most flyers don't have alcohol in them... weird
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2007
4344 posts
378 upvotes
teachit wrote: seems most flyers don't have alcohol in them... weird
You need to go into the stores. Your hotel can probably make some recommendations.
From what I've seen when travelling abroad 9/10 it's cheaper to buy in the city compared to duty free, especially for wines. Not to mention you get a LOT better selection in a city.
Duty free doesn't mean cheap. Sure you save on duty but the airport shop still has bills to pay, so they jack up the base price.
I know people (rightly so) complain about the LCBO but on wines especially the difference is often $5-10.

Spirits are another story but I often compare by using free airport wifi.

You can mix/match wine and spirits, just be prepared to pay duty if you go over your limit. Consider that when buying. I've never had to pay and i've often gone well over the personal exemption rule. And yes I do declare. Trying to cheap out over $50-60 isn't worth losing my nexus card.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8414 posts
1309 upvotes
Vancouver
teachit wrote: It's just me, I looked but I can't find any information about how I would add it up
For GangStarr: I'm not going with Air Canada, it's a European airline and has very limited duty free, nothing I like
Unless you want a dirty plastic bottle of some 37.5% vodka for the sake of it being super cheap I’d hit the duty free at airport to avoid anything popping in your bag.

Scotch and whiskey is usually the best deal. Compare prices to lcbo.com but generally speaking Johnny black or double black is a good deal compared to lcbo

If you have any Indian friends they tend to love Johnny black so if nothing else it may make a good gift for a friend. Not sure if lcbo overpriced it or it’s a good deal.

Double black is a decent fake scotch if you like Pete but I’m sure I’m gonna get eaten alive by the snobs.
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Dec 2, 2015
15 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto, ON
From the looks of it there's a couple things worth it at Barcelona duty free, the rest I guess I would buy from the shops.
I don't know if 700ml liquor and 700ml of wine would be over or not, I guess I'll find out and post here.
Thank you everyone for the advice!