Automotive

Buying Audi Q5 or Acura RDX 5-6 year old? any problem , which one?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 12th, 2020 5:12 pm
[OP]
Dec 1, 2016
189 posts
47 upvotes
mississauga

Buying Audi Q5 or Acura RDX 5-6 year old? any problem , which one?

I am driving my 2006 honda accord EXL, and although it has zero problem, mileage is 225,000 km, but I am thinking of getting a used compact SUV with all wheel drive next year. I bought my acccord in 2017 for 7000$ in total tax included, so if next year I retire it, average my car cost about 1800/year plus regular maintenance like oil change, winter tires change etc.,
I do research and thinking of getting a 5-6 year old Audi Q5 (which have 2.0L or 3.2L) or Acura RDX (2.0L or 3.5L) but I tend to go with 2.0L let say 2015 model, which will cost about 15-17,000$ for about 120-130k km mileage , and hoping can driving them for 6 year or more up to 270-300k km mileage,. In this case, I think cost me about 3000$/year plus the different in premium gas vs regular, which max 500$/year, so I think would spend 3500$/yr, if I buy either above car. But not sure if 5-6 year old car of audi or Acura will have to go expensive repair with major issue or not till 300,000 km, because the authorized garage will cost a lot when repair those cars, I guess, while I bring my accord to any mechanics and it is fine.
Any experience can give advice on which car should I buy, i love both, both is meet my needs, just performance and cost value concern?
Last edited by talmcgill on Feb 9th, 2020 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
36 replies
Feb 12, 2006
637 posts
81 upvotes
I purchased a 2016 Audi Q5 2.0 TSFI Technik about 2 years ago for $30k - it had 70,000km and it now has a 105,000km. It’s been awesome - I’ve had zero mechanical or engine issues - the only problem with these is that if you have a pano roof, they are prone to squeaking but it can be resolved - plenty of YouTube videos on it and it’s a known issue.

I also do my own maintenance - I did the air, engine and oil filters / oil (German Liqi Moly) as soon as I got it. I also changed the spark plugs at 85,000km. I also did the rotors and pads (front / back with Brembo OEM). I would recommend taking it to an Audi dealership to make sure all the recalls are done (I.E the water pump).

I would also stick with the 2.0 if you don’t need the power since it’s quite good on fuel.

Regarding your “maintenance” comments - it’s hard to say as I do my own but at 125-150k they are both definitely going to need some if they haven’t had any done (tires, spark plugs, oil, breaks, maybe suspension). I would pick one with less KM and spend a bit more (IE 80-90km).
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
2872 posts
3028 upvotes
The Q5 has direct injection, and I suspect the Acura does as well. Put aside about $600-$800 for manual carbon cleaning of the intake valves. They usually require them around that mileage/year
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
4721 posts
3198 upvotes
If you are nickle and diming, get a 3.5L Acura RDX. Avoid Germans.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12372 posts
6239 upvotes
Toronto
There is no RDX that’s 5-6 years old with a 2.0.

The RDX gen 1 had a 2.0 as well as the current gen 3.

Gen 2 2013-2018 has the 3.5 V6 only
Feb 2, 2020
17 posts
18 upvotes
The Gen2 RDX is built in Ohio, and definitely lacks the quality engineering that vehicles built in Japan have. I had a MY13 for 4 years, bought new from dealer. There were body panel gaps from day 1, an issue a number of owners have. I also had an issue with the rear passenger side suspension 3 years in to ownership. It was clunking really loud and it felt like the car was about to fall apart. I think it pretty much collapsed, although I don't remember exact technical details / terminology that was communicated to me by my Acura dealers service department. Luckily it was covered under warranty. I also had an experience where the car felt like it went in to a pseudo limp mode in the middle of fast moving highway traffic. Instead of panicking, I dropped in to neutral and then put the car back in drive to rectify the issue. Not everyone will react the same way. The interior, however, was extremely well put together, and the car was ridiculously comfortable. The engine was effortless in picking up speed, and never felt out of breath. Overall, I was pretty disappointed with my general experience, and thankful I was able to drop the car before the warranty ran out. As much as I loved the luxury and the power of the Gen 2 RDX, I would avoid this one out of warranty.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
3404 posts
2165 upvotes
GTA
Xtrema wrote: If you are nickle and diming, get a 3.5L Acura RDX. Avoid Germans.
LOL - you are so wrong. Honda's quality sank with DiCaprio's Titanic and they haven't found it yet.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2009
1954 posts
753 upvotes
Montreal
Tommy74 wrote: LOL - you are so wrong. Honda's quality sank with DiCaprio's Titanic and they haven't found it yet.
They found Germans' at the bottom of Mariana Trench
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2004
4721 posts
3198 upvotes
Tommy74 wrote: LOL - you are so wrong. Honda's quality sank with DiCaprio's Titanic and they haven't found it yet.
OP is comparing a engine that grenade itself until 2013 and a turbo I don't trust over 100k vs a NA 3.5L J series that all you may need is VCM disable to keep problems away.

On top everything is cheaper on Acura. Of the 2 OP listed and the way he listed costs like his life depends on it, the Acura is a better bet 8/10 times.

And if OP has been driving 2006 EXL V6, he already know the engine well, although an older version with even shittier VCM.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
10683 posts
3015 upvotes
Toronto
Won't buy either one.
Buy a new SUV that you can afford instead.

You will sleep better at night, unless you only care about having a luxury brand car sitting on your driveway/garage,
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Oct 2, 2017
684 posts
468 upvotes
Frankly neither. If its about price you can buy a newer SUV from another manufacturer, if it's about wanting a Q5 or RDX well that's just up to you.
I'll see you at the top, cause the bottom is too crowded
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12372 posts
6239 upvotes
Toronto
I've had my 2017 RDX for 3 years now and have put 75K on it.

No issues other than brakes being replaced under warranty.
May 12, 2006
239 posts
14 upvotes
Swerny wrote: I've had my 2017 RDX for 3 years now and have put 75K on it.

No issues other than brakes being replaced under warranty.
What was wrong with the brakes?