Buying bnib phone from Kijiji. Need input

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2017 2:19 pm
[OP]
Nov 29, 2016
43 posts
11 upvotes

Buying bnib phone from Kijiji. Need input

Hey, so I'm buying a bnib (sealed) lg g5 from a person off Kijiji tomorrow evening and just wanted some opinions and insight on this soon to be transaction. I found a great deal for $450 and apparently factory unlocked as well. He also said he has the receipt and said he bought it from Costco a couple of weeks ago. I just have some questions or concerns that you guys might be able to answer or help out with.

Would I be out of line if I asked him for the receipt? Idk what I'd do it with it anyway, I spoke to lg customer service online and they said that the manufacturers warranty is not transferable. Im thinking of asking him for his contact info and if something ever happens to the phone which requires repair, I'll ring him up and ask him to talk to lg for me (I'll compensate him for the bother).

Also, what should I check for when reviewing the phone? Obviously I'll check if it powers on, sim card works, overall functionality of the phone. Can't think of anything else atm. What questions should I ask him? I know I sound paranoid but if I'm spending $450, I'm going to try my best to not get ripped off lol

Any opinions or help would be welcome, especially from anyone who has experience with buying new phones off Kijiji! Thanks.
63 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18990 posts
8604 upvotes
Oakville
Buying off Kijiji is always a risky proposition. Absolutely be paranoid because it is filled with scammers. No matter what you do, there's no guarantee that the phone won't end up getting blacklisted in the future though - if it was purchased with a stolen credit card/fake id, there's literally nothing you can do to avoid it getting blacklisted. The first thing to do obviously is get the phone's IMEI *right now* and check that it's not on the blacklist. That's no guarantee that it won't end up there, but it's a start. Yes, definitely ask for the receipt. LG won't know that you weren't the original purchaser (I presume, since it's still BNIB, that it hasn't been registered with LG yet). The fact that he's asking $450 for it seems like it's definitely not a "too good to be true" price situation, so at least you have that going for you. But I've personally completely given up on buying used phones off Kijiji because I don't trust anybody.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
May 12, 2003
801 posts
238 upvotes
Whenever I've purchased phones off Kijiji, I always make sure to take a picture of the persons ID

Not that I can do much with the ID, but a scammer would be very hesitant giving you their ID, vs. a honest person.

My 2 cents.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3131 posts
587 upvotes
Toronto
To be quite honest with you, it's also risky to purchase phones/other items from RFD users despite positive feedback.
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11220 posts
6207 upvotes
Markham
Taking picture of ID and them is good...know where they work and phoning them at their work might also be good.
Buying from longtime RFD'er who posts a lot is also probably a good idea.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
16786 posts
3101 upvotes
Toronto
As a seller, I would never allow anyone to copy my ID.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2016
43 posts
11 upvotes
Okay, first of all, thank you guys for all the replies and feedback.

Second, he just threw an unexpected curve ball my way. He texted me today saying that he made a mistake and he called Costco and said that it's not unlocked and that it's locked to Rogers (not my carrier). But he also lowered the price $30. How much does it cost to unlock a phone these days anyway?

Taking a picture of his ID seems like a bit much , but then again I am going to be paying $420. Is there any other way I could take his info down that seems less intrusive? Could I also video tape him during the transaction (with his consent of course)?

The only thing I'm scared/unsure of at this point is the cost of unlocking the phone and if he is one of those scammers that reports it stolen after I buy it.

Thanks again guys.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2016
43 posts
11 upvotes
Oops. also, I forgot to mention that I spoke with an lg representative again and they told me that it doesn't matter if I didn't originally buy the phone. To use the manufacturers warranty, the receipt will do just fine even if it's not my info on there.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18990 posts
8604 upvotes
Oakville
GabrielS94 wrote: Okay, first of all, thank you guys for all the replies and feedback.

Second, he just threw an unexpected curve ball my way. He texted me today saying that he made a mistake and he called Costco and said that it's not unlocked and that it's locked to Rogers (not my carrier). But he also lowered the price $30. How much does it cost to unlock a phone these days anyway?

Taking a picture of his ID seems like a bit much , but then again I am going to be paying $420. Is there any other way I could take his info down that seems less intrusive? Could I also video tape him during the transaction (with his consent of course)?

The only thing I'm scared/unsure of at this point is the cost of unlocking the phone and if he is one of those scammers that reports it stolen after I buy it.

Thanks again guys.
You can unlock a G5 for like $5 from any number of sellers. I've used Mobifree in the past for a Samsung and had no problem with them at all.

Any seller that doesn't want to give you a way to track them down if something goes wrong later is a seller that you shouldn't be doing business with. And no, their phone number isn't enough - it's trivially easy to set up a burner number that you'll then ditch immediately after.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2013
1616 posts
687 upvotes
Markham
I posted phones on Kijiji in the past and many ask me for the imei number but I always tell them you can check it when we meet up in person. Yeah call me paranoid but I just want to protect myself as the seller too.

There's not much you can do but to check the imei and make sure it's not blacklisted by who knows in the future, it'll get blacklisted. There's always that risk. I would never ever let anyone take photos of my ID as well.
cd ~/cloudbox
[OP]
Nov 29, 2016
43 posts
11 upvotes
Good point, so I guess taking a picture of his ID would be best (drivers license?).

It seems a bit extreme but If I explain to him why I'm so concerned (so many scammers out there), he shouldn't be happy to oblige but he should at least understand. If he doesn't, then I'll automatically suspect something fishy and walk away.

Should I let him know ahead of time (that I plan to take a picture of his ID) through text?

Thanks again, btw I live near the Mississauga/Oakville border, do you know any places near me that charge a good price for unlocking phones?
Dec 11, 2010
468 posts
119 upvotes
GabrielS94 wrote: Okay, first of all, thank you guys for all the replies and feedback.

Thanks again guys.
I wouldn't necessarily call that a bit of a curve ball since to my knowledge Costco doesn't sell unlocked LG G5s. I would have been more suspicious of the phone if it was unlocked.
[OP]
Nov 29, 2016
43 posts
11 upvotes
Right but what other way is there? I would need his address, name and photo. That way, if he tries to scam me I'll know his info and could report him for fraud.

What if the buyer let you take a picture of their ID as well? Would that change your opinion?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
18990 posts
8604 upvotes
Oakville
GabrielS94 wrote: Thanks again, btw I live near the Mississauga/Oakville border, do you know any places near me that charge a good price for unlocking phones?
Just do it online. Code will be delivered in a couple hours, usually.
Dec 11, 2010
468 posts
119 upvotes
GabrielS94 wrote: Good point, so I guess taking a picture of his ID would be best (drivers license?).

It seems a bit extreme but If I explain to him why I'm so concerned (so many scammers out there), he shouldn't be happy to oblige but he should at least understand. If he doesn't, then I'll automatically suspect something fishy and walk away.

Should I let him know ahead of time (that I plan to take a picture of his ID) through text?

Thanks again, btw I live near the Mississauga/Oakville border, do you know any places near me that charge a good price for unlocking phones?
I think the best thing for you to do is to talk to him over the phone instead of texting as you can get a better feel of the person you're dealing with and it's more difficult to lie when you don't have time to fabricate an answer. Ask probing questions like why he's celling the phone or what plan he's currently on and see if gives you BS answers. Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you want answers to. If he becomes impatient or evasive, walk away from the deal.

Also, the type of meeting place is important. For instance, if he doesn't mind you going to his home or place of work, that's a good sign, but if you choose to go that route, bring a friend for safety reasons. Getting a copy of his ID doesn't mean anything in court as you could have obtained that under other pretences. As a seller, I wouldn't give out my drivers licence number, account number etc or any other personal info as that could easily be used for ID theft, so don't be surprised if he denies your request.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)