Shopping Discussion

Buying a Canopy Replacement

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2020 10:48 am
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 21, 2015
165 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto

Buying a Canopy Replacement

Hi Guys,

Need your help with something. The house I had got few years ago came with a metal gazebo with a fabric canopy on the top.
The canopy is now all dirty and torn and I wanted to change it. I measured it and 11.75 x 11.75 gazebo.
I am trying to find a replacement but all I can find is standard sizes - "8x8", "10x10" or "12x12".
I was wondering if :

1. Can I buy 12x12 and somehow fit this?
2. Is there a place (online or in-store) where I can buy this specific thing?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
K
8 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
17147 posts
19055 upvotes
Oakville
Yes, you could fold over the 12x12 edges to fit, though I suspect it may fit just fine as is.
Our just buy the fabric roll has stitch it exact to your specs. Any old lady should be able to do it for you if you can't.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 21, 2015
165 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Yes, you could fold over the 12x12 edges to fit, though I suspect it may fit just fine as is.
Our just buy the fabric roll has stitch it exact to your specs. Any old lady should be able to do it for you if you can't.
I am not sure where to get custom fabric roll and get it stitched. do you have any leads?
Plus - I assume it will turn out to be significantly expensive than buying a 12x12 cover. If you say 12x12 should work - I will just try that.
Thanks
Member
User avatar
May 22, 2006
411 posts
6 upvotes
Pierrefonds
I ordered mine from this company two years ago. https://apexgarden.ca/ I checked their website for models I thought would fit mine. I had my model number and I wrote to them to ask if their model was good. They wrote back and said that they would check with the manufacturer. They got back to me the same day and confirmed that it was good. The replacement fit exactly. The only complaint I have that it did not have the "J" hooks to hook the canopy to the metal frame. It does come with the velcro strips, but the "J" hooks made it extra secure. I would order from them again. Hope this helps.
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 21, 2015
165 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
DACC wrote: I ordered mine from this company two years ago. https://apexgarden.ca/ I checked their website for models I thought would fit mine. I had my model number and I wrote to them to ask if their model was good. They wrote back and said that they would check with the manufacturer. They got back to me the same day and confirmed that it was good. The replacement fit exactly. The only complaint I have that it did not have the "J" hooks to hook the canopy to the metal frame. It does come with the velcro strips, but the "J" hooks made it extra secure. I would order from them again. Hope this helps.
Thanks,
I have reached out to them. lets see what they respond with.
Thanks for the reference

Cheers,
K
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
17147 posts
19055 upvotes
Oakville
krishnasty wrote: I am not sure where to get custom fabric roll and get it stitched. do you have any leads?
Plus - I assume it will turn out to be significantly expensive than buying a 12x12 cover. If you say 12x12 should work - I will just try that.
Thanks
Fabricland is one spot. Probably amazon as well. It could be cheaper. Especially if you consider you can keep the roll and make many covers every few years.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17724 posts
15186 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
There are definitely replacement canvas canopies to be found
GOOGLE : Gazebo Replacement Canopy
To find them
Helps though if you know who made your gazebo ...
So as to get an EXACT FIT
(Cuz you cannot really go by size alone ... every roofline is unique)

There are also companies that specialize in custom canvas work
Canopies, Awnings, Car Covers, Boat Bimini Tops, Tent Trailer Canvas etc

A lot more expensive to get something custom made
But better made / better materials = lasts longer

Personally, I find canvas gazebos to be a PITA
Cuz you got to take off & store the canopy every year
And even then ... they don’t last that long

If the canvas is gone now
I’d just be looking to replace the whole gazebo with a solid roof model
[OP]
Jr. Member
Mar 21, 2015
165 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: There are definitely replacement canvas canopies to be found
GOOGLE : Gazebo Replacement Canopy
To find them
Helps though if you know who made your gazebo ...
So as to get an EXACT FIT
(Cuz you cannot really go by size alone ... every roofline is unique)

There are also companies that specialize in custom canvas work
Canopies, Awnings, Car Covers, Boat Bimini Tops, Tent Trailer Canvas etc

A lot more expensive to get something custom made
But better made / better materials = lasts longer

Personally, I find canvas gazebos to be a PITA
Cuz you got to take off & store the canopy every year
And even then ... they don’t last that long

If the canvas is gone now
I’d just be looking to replace the whole gazebo with a solid roof model
Thanks for a detailed reply. I did actually spend a considerable amount of time googling canopy replacement covers. You're right about the fit. I am not able to find a single tier 11.75 x 11.75 canopy cover anywhere - wayfair, walmart, amazon, etc.
I reached out to Gardenwinds (apparently they carry replacement cover of almost all the models) and sent them photos and measurement and even they said that they dont have anything that fits.
The issue is that the house came with this gazebo and there is no itched model number of brand on that gazebo.

I am now leaning towards a custom made canopy cover but the price will definitely determine the final outcome.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17724 posts
15186 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
krishnasty wrote: Thanks for a detailed reply. I did actually spend a considerable amount of time googling canopy replacement covers. You're right about the fit. I am not able to find a single tier 11.75 x 11.75 canopy cover anywhere - wayfair, walmart, amazon, etc.
I reached out to Gardenwinds (apparently they carry replacement cover of almost all the models) and sent them photos and measurement and even they said that they dont have anything that fits.
The issue is that the house came with this gazebo and there is no itched model number of brand on that gazebo.

I am now leaning towards a custom made canopy cover but the price will definitely determine the final outcome.
Honestly, this is a money pit ...
Cuz not too far down the road the custom cover will rot out (or otherwise tear / get damaged too)

Ya may as well just bite the bullet & buy an all new metal top gazebo

They go on sale often enough.
We got ours @ Cdn Tire about 10 years ago
And it’s still in great shape
Prob get another 5 to 10 years out of it

The one thing I will say is buy bigger vs smaller
Ours is 10 x 12
And it’s great, but next time I’ll be looking for 12 x 14 ... Costco has some nice ones
(or even larger ... might even go custom made out of cedar )
Cuz then it can be more sq footage ... less cramped
Be it for a bigger dining table, or a double purpose space
Dining at one end & seating area at the other

We use our current Gazebo year round
It serves as a BBQ shelter in the winter
Cuz we bought a winter cover

Top