• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2020 1:26 pm
[OP]
Mar 22, 2004
516 posts
293 upvotes
London, ON

Buying car from Alberta

I'm considering purchasing a vehicle from a DEALER in Alberta, and having it shipped to Ontario (it is a rare vehicle at a decent price).

I am curious how the tax/registration would work? The dealer in AB states that they would charge 5% HST. I understand that I would then show my invoice at ServiceOntario with the 5% HST, and would only be charged 8% here? I just want to ensure that I'm not paying the 5% twice.

Additionally, is it possible to get a temporary license plate for an out-of-province vehicle so that I can get it to my mechanic to get the safety done? I'm just thinking it may give me more flexibility than having it dropped off right at a shop.

Anyone else ever done this before?
6 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14438 posts
8830 upvotes
Toronto
You only pay the PST at service Ontario, so the HST equivalent of 8%. When you go to SO, you'll get a temp 10 day to get the SSC for the vehicle before you can actually register/plate.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 19, 2010
607 posts
245 upvotes
Calgary
the 5% the dealer is charging is GST, not HST
[OP]
Mar 22, 2004
516 posts
293 upvotes
London, ON
koffey wrote: You only pay the PST at service Ontario, so the HST equivalent of 8%. When you go to SO, you'll get a temp 10 day to get the SSC for the vehicle before you can actually register/plate.
Ok, so they are familiar with this type of transaction? Also, I know in Ontario, to get the 10-day sticker, you need to show that it is "FIT" on the registration, however this will have an AB registration, so would it still work the same way?
drtmrcht wrote: the 5% the dealer is charging is GST, not HST
Yes, of course, my bad.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14438 posts
8830 upvotes
Toronto
ncnmra wrote: Ok, so they are familiar with this type of transaction? Also, I know in Ontario, to get the 10-day sticker, you need to show that it is "FIT" on the registration, however this will have an AB registration, so would it still work the same way?

Yes and yes.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Mar 22, 2004
516 posts
293 upvotes
London, ON
I'm dealing with a dealer that I hoped would be a bit better versed in this process. I know to register the car here in Ontario, I need the registration and original bill of sale from the dealership. The dealership is questioning whether they first need to register the car in their name for "privacy reasons". It is a used car that they took on trade. I know in Ontario that prior owners are listed on the UVIP anyways, so I'm not sure they need to take that step.

Can anyone offer any additional advice?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4027 posts
4158 upvotes
GTA
Does that make a difference to you? If that's what they want to do, let them register the car, and proceed with the sale.