• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2016 12:57 pm
Mar 21, 2015
186 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto

Buying a car for the first time

Hi All,

I am planning to buy my first car soon. After a lot of consideration, I have my hear fixed on an used 2015/2016 Hyundai Sonata. I have couple of questions which I would like to know before I walk into a dealership:

a. Between Sonata 2015 and 2016, there have been not major changes. Should I be getting a 2015 or 2016 Sonata
b. I looked online and found a lot of options on pre-owned and certified pre-owned cars. I know that certified cars make for a safer bet, but does it make that much of a difference - especially if I can ask for a car proof and get any pre-owned car checked by an independent car expert?
c. August is generally the time when the newer models of Sonata will come in (in this case 2017). Hyundai dealers are already giving cash discounts on 2016 models because they (maybe) want to prepare for the 2017 models. Should I wait till 2017 model is announced for 2015/2016 prices to go down or do you think getting a car in July is as good as it will get?
8 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3018 upvotes
Ottawa
CPO comes with a warranty (usually). They cost a little more but there's more peace of mind for a short period.

Hyundai is likely clearing out the 2016 models already. Check out what incentives your local Hyundai dealerships are offering. July is usually a good time to pick up an outgoing model.
Mar 21, 2015
186 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
Cool.

When haggling for the best price, I have heard different and confusing statements.
Some people say that the price listed on auto trader is the possible lowest price and I should just focus on the extras to be the freebies.

Can someone tell me the truth about this?
And also do we know what all the freebies should I bargain for?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
If there isn't much price difference between used 2015 and new 2016, for say $1000, I would get the 2016 even for $2000 more for better resale value and it's new.
Aug 22, 2009
589 posts
151 upvotes
Guelph, ON
Prices are always negotiable :-) I recently bought my pre-owned BMW for $29K when they were asking $33K. With that said, it's easier to bargain on extras since the dealer gets the extras at cost. After negotiating the price, I always get them to throw in a nice set of factory floor mats (would cost me $200, but costs them little).
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
VifferFun wrote: Prices are always negotiable :-) I recently bought my pre-owned BMW for $29K when they were asking $33K. With that said, it's easier to bargain on extras since the dealer gets the extras at cost. After negotiating the price, I always get them to throw in a nice set of factory floor mats (would cost me $200, but costs them little).
And do so while making the deal not after you signed and paid or on the day of the delivery.
Aug 22, 2009
589 posts
151 upvotes
Guelph, ON
peteryorkuca wrote: And do so while making the deal not after you signed and paid or on the day of the delivery.
Yes, thanks for the clarification! Just after agreeing to a reduced price, you mention that you would like a set of floormats. I have never had them refuse this request :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
VifferFun wrote: Yes, thanks for the clarification! Just after agreeing to a reduced price, you mention that you would like a set of floormats. I have never had them refuse this request :)
You wouldn't believe how many people ask for free stuff on delivery of their vehicle.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
VifferFun wrote: Yes, thanks for the clarification! Just after agreeing to a reduced price, you mention that you would like a set of floormats. I have never had them refuse this request :)
Are you referring to "weather" rubber matts?
As the vehicles I've purchased came with carpeted mats, with their respective logo/embroidery.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)