Automotive

Buying car and registering in brothers name

  • Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2020 6:44 pm
[OP]
Member
May 27, 2017
282 posts
402 upvotes

Buying car and registering in brothers name

I’m planning on buying a 2020 Corolla from Toyota dealership I will be paying for the car but it will be my brothers car

Will I have any issues with me having the cheque in my name but registering the ownership under my brothers name?

First time buying from dealership lol trying to avoid any delays
6 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jul 30, 2007
28594 posts
14000 upvotes
Toronto
Dealer should not care as long the actual ownership doc (dl) and insurance are valid.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7960 posts
3246 upvotes
Financial District B…
Lolvtec wrote: I’m planning on buying a 2020 Corolla from Toyota dealership I will be paying for the car but it will be my brothers car

Will I have any issues with me having the cheque in my name but registering the ownership under my brothers name?

First time buying from dealership lol trying to avoid any delays
That would be fraud. Most commonly referred to a straw-purchase/straw-contract/straw-buyer
You cannot use your credit and personal data to obtain financing for secured property and have that property titled in someones elses name.
The finance contract, the PPSA security, the PAD auto payments, auto insurance and property title all must be from the individuals accepted from the financier.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
[OP]
Member
May 27, 2017
282 posts
402 upvotes
I’ll be paying cash hence why I said the cheque will be in my name, no need for financing
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7960 posts
3246 upvotes
Financial District B…
Lolvtec wrote: I’ll be paying cash hence why I said the cheque will be in my name, no need for financing
Then auto registering/titling does not matter.
Might be best to have the dealer input your brothers name on the bill of sale for warranty registration.

Lastly, if you didn't know... you can actually have the car registered in both your names.
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6131 posts
4741 upvotes
Yo, can I be your bro?

This feels like something to side step insurance for a reason. Or a really generous gift.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7960 posts
3246 upvotes
Financial District B…
Xtrema wrote: Yo, can I be your bro?

This feels like something to side step insurance for a reason. Or a really generous gift.
Maybe this is the guy that was caught doing 308km/h
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again

Top