Buying cell phone on kijiji safe?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 28th, 2018 11:01 am
[OP]
Jan 15, 2017
136 posts
12 upvotes

Buying cell phone on kijiji safe?

I bought an a8 of kijiji for only $250 and the first thing I did was factory reset it. It seems fine and I like it, but I'm just curious if there some scams around I'm not aware of before I start banking on it or something? Thanks
7 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13851 posts
3017 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I'm not that familiar with Samsungs, but I have a couple of Sonys, and a factory reset doesn't wipe the systems partition (ie. systems apps). Someone could root the phone, then install/move apps into the systems partition.

I usually do a full firmware/ROM flash, replacing/resetting system and user partitions. It's pretty easy with Sony Xperias, using a third party utility. I never really figured out, with confidence, how to do it on a Samsung, using Odin.
Last edited by rabbit on Dec 27th, 2018 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1835 posts
1430 upvotes
SF Bay Area
Samsung's bootloaders have been locked since the S7 days for the NA Snapdragon variants so I wouldn't worry about that.

The most common scam with kijiji is someone could report the phone lost/stolen after they've sold it to you. So youre now stuck with a blacklisted phone that can't be used anywhere. No real way to prevent this other than buying from a reputable seller.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
20508 posts
9951 upvotes
Oakville
arkane wrote: Samsung's bootloaders have been locked since the S7 days for the NA Snapdragon variants so I wouldn't worry about that.

The most common scam with kijiji is someone could report the phone lost/stolen after they've sold it to you. So youre now stuck with a blacklisted phone that can't be used anywhere. No real way to prevent this other than buying from a reputable seller.
I think the most common Kijiji scam is the "bought with stolen identity and sold for cheap on Kijiji to get a quick sale before it's blacklisted" scam - same result though. I dunno what the standard resale price of the A8 is, though, to say if that's likely in this scenario.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1943 posts
1086 upvotes
It's a bit too late to have a buyer remorse on this when you've already bought the phone. (there's a sticky up top for future reference)
In this case you might in the clear as most issue are usually with higher end phone. (stranger things have happen)
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
13851 posts
3017 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I think the guy's more worried about his data being safe than his phone being blocked.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
18443 posts
5390 upvotes
Toronto
If you really want to be safe, you could flash a stock with Odin and factory reset it before letting it boot for the first time.