None
[OP]
May 5, 2013
52 posts
20 upvotes
Mississauga

Buying computer hardware with Windows 7 Professional

Hi there,

I'm a computer illiterate person looking for advice from any knowledgable people if it is relatively easy if I wanted to purchase a desktop with Windows 7 Pro OS preloaded? I'm opening a store that requires a piece of equipment that only runs well on the Windows 7 platform and wanted to estimate how much I can get a decent computer for ($1000? on Dell.ca and Staples and Tiger Direct?)

Thanks in advance.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
The only way it's happening is via business lines.
Dell or Lenovo still has options for 7.
Any other prebuilts are mostly (if not all) Windows 10 now. Some prebuilts (mostly notebooks) only have drivers for 10 and nothing below. They're also artificially limited to work on 10 only.

Refurb is also an option.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
717 upvotes
For a computer that comes with Win 10, is there is still downgrade rights back to Windows 7 if requested?
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22095 posts
2763 upvotes
iamkoh wrote: Hi there,

I'm a computer illiterate person looking for advice from any knowledgable people if it is relatively easy if I wanted to purchase a desktop with Windows 7 Pro OS preloaded? I'm opening a store that requires a piece of equipment that only runs well on the Windows 7 platform and wanted to estimate how much I can get a decent computer for ($1000? on Dell.ca and Staples and Tiger Direct?)

Thanks in advance.
Business hardware!

Go find Dell, HP or Lenovo business products. These still come with a Windows 10 Pro license but sold with Windows 7 downgrade option

http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensi ... ights.aspx
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16599 posts
2314 upvotes
iamkoh wrote: I'm a computer illiterate person looking for advice from any knowledgable people if it is relatively easy if I wanted to purchase a desktop with Windows 7 Pro OS preloaded? I'm opening a store that requires a piece of equipment that only runs well on the Windows 7 platform and wanted to estimate how much I can get a decent computer for ($1000? on Dell.ca and Staples and Tiger Direct?)
What is the equipment interface - can you run the software in a virtual machine?

Otherwise pick up refurb hardware from Dell - they should still have a Windows 7 license.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18558 posts
2927 upvotes
Langley
Go to dellrefurbished.ca. They're not great deals but sometimes there's discount codes posted that can make them a bargin. Every few years I get my parents a new used Dell from them.