Buying a condo in Entertainment district VS Harbourfront

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2018 6:47 pm
[OP]
Mar 20, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote

Buying a condo in Entertainment district VS Harbourfront

How do you compare the Entertainment district with Harbourfront? More specifically, buying a condo in Entertainment VS York & Harbour? In my opinion, entertainment district is more lively, and you can enjoy a pleasant walk outside, which is less so in the later case. However, the second one is connected to PATH which is plus. Are there any points I am not considering? How is renting out a unit in these two neighbourhoods compared?

Thanks for your help in advance.
13 replies
Jan 15, 2010
372 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
What Harbourfront condo is connected to the path? 10 York?

ED will be noisier and overall more crowded, more annoying if you have to drive at all. But it will probably rent out for slightly more than the Harbourfront.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 22, 2011
6693 posts
6776 upvotes
Toronto
I would say they are very different areas. I am really biased though, the harbor front is my favorite part of Toronto. The newly renovated lakefront is awesome, great for walking along and there are always festivals or events going on right outside your door. You can easily walk up to restaurants, bars or venues. There is less traffic and head aches. It's really close to union and financial district as well which make it great to rent out.

I am not as familiar with entertainment district other than a few friends who live by Spadina and Front. I personally do not like the area. It seems extremely congested to me and traffic there is very frustrating. Maybe if you were younger and going out more you would prefer it. I think in terms of renting it out and value for your dollar they would both be very similar. Although I do find a lot of harbor front condos are cheaper which always surprised me.
Jan 27, 2018
236 posts
151 upvotes
I agree... Harbour front is much better in terms of living. I would yake Harbour front instead of ET. Lots of drunk and junkies bumming around at late nights and pissing or throwing up in any possible corner, lots of late night noise and party crowd, crowding and traffic jam during weekends party time which is every single weekend. Harbour front is much much better for taking daily walks or jogs, leisure walks, food, weekend activities/entertainment during summer at harbour front centre etc... But this is my take, someone else will probably have a different opinion or expectation...
Jan 27, 2018
236 posts
151 upvotes
Few weeks back a friend of mine bought a rental condo at corporate drive (88 and 68 corporate drive i think arethe two condos) and they are cheap and awesome. Rental return is very good on the investment compared to downtown and the buildings are very good as well run by tridel management and the rt is right in front and so is Scarborough town centre... Not sure if you want to check it out as it would be way cheaper and also good for rental in future if you decide to get a bigger condo in the future...
Jan 27, 2018
236 posts
151 upvotes
I like the Harbour front the best and then 88 or 68 corporate drive in terms of pricing if that is a concern from affordability perspective.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
1274 posts
657 upvotes
Toronto
I definitely choose Harbourfront. It may not be as hip but it is a nicer area.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
42282 posts
5764 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Unknownname wrote: I agree... Harbour front is much better in terms of living. I would yake Harbour front instead of ET. Lots of drunk and junkies bumming around at late nights and pissing or throwing up in any possible corner, lots of late night noise and party crowd, crowding and traffic jam during weekends party time which is every single weekend. Harbour front is much much better for taking daily walks or jogs, leisure walks, food, weekend activities/entertainment during summer at harbour front centre etc... But this is my take, someone else will probably have a different opinion or expectation...
Just move to leslieville. Similar downtown vibe but much more toned down.
Hipster bars, resto, butcher and grocery around.
Nice for walks or brunch. Not too mny condo's but they are spouting up.
You can bike to downtown in 10minutes or same with a street car.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2005
1079 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Harborfront you will feel isolated from the rest of the city due to the Gardiner. It'll feel like you're living in burbs. Speaking from someone who lived in that area it'll feel very far to walk to front st for example. Also during the summer weekends the tourists might be overwhelming. In the winter the whole area is a ghost town. If you want more of a downtown feel stay north of the highway and rail corridor.
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
4055 posts
855 upvotes
j2ether wrote: Thank you for the points. You are right. But, at Harbour Plaza for example, you are geographically right at core downtown. But with Gardiner north of you, you feel just a little outside of the city...
BTW, if you have any idea on Harbour Plaza, please let me know... Is it worth the 1000 PSF?
Considering that pre-construction condos now are at $1200 PSF? probably yes.
Mar 6, 2017
355 posts
229 upvotes
RBK wrote: Harborfront you will feel isolated from the rest of the city due to the Gardiner. It'll feel like you're living in burbs. Speaking from someone who lived in that area it'll feel very far to walk to front st for example. Also during the summer weekends the tourists might be overwhelming. In the winter the whole area is a ghost town. If you want more of a downtown feel stay north of the highway and rail corridor.
I agree with this and if you drive prepare to alter your driving schedule because its a disaster trying to get in and out of the harbour front condos due to the congestion from the sports games and rush hour in the afternoon and it's the worse kind of congestion because on everyone just wants to get home but every on ramp it takes like 30 minutes plus to get on the gardiner which doesn't even move lol

And walking from lakeshore to front or king feels like an eternity from down there. I am a big baby about this because I lived at Yonge and Charles so I had all of yonge st and the manulife centre like a 30 second walk

It's still a sweet area it's growing but if you want a vibrant community now entertainment is better
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2006
1925 posts
1927 upvotes
Toronto
dpacto wrote: I agree with this and if you drive prepare to alter your driving schedule because its a disaster trying to get in and out of the harbour front condos due to the congestion from the sports games and rush hour in the afternoon and it's the worse kind of congestion because on everyone just wants to get home but every on ramp it takes like 30 minutes plus to get on the gardiner which doesn't even move lol

And walking from lakeshore to front or king feels like an eternity from down there. I am a big baby about this because I lived at Yonge and Charles so I had all of yonge st and the manulife centre like a 30 second walk

It's still a sweet area it's growing but if you want a vibrant community now entertainment is better
Harbour plaza is connected to the path and it takes approximately 3-4 mins to union and front street.
Very convenient, no traffic lights, no cold and close to waterfront in the summer.

Jan 15, 2010
372 posts
272 upvotes
Toronto
ilim wrote: Harbour plaza is connected to the path and it takes approximately 3-4 mins to union and front street.
Very convenient, no traffic lights, no cold and close to waterfront in the summer.

Foreign buyers only 3% of the market right?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2003
7954 posts
1524 upvotes
j2ether wrote: Interesting video... Thanks

Regarding Harbour Plaza, you pay 1000 PSF for a unit not lived in before, which is a little more than entertainment district in which the condos I visited are about 3 years old. But I agree ED is more vibrant… I am not just sure which one is better investment-wise...
younger professionals will want a vibrant hood
older professionals will prefer a more chill/quiet area in most cases

I'd say it depends on who you'd rather target.