• Mar 12th, 2019 2:50 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19497 posts
2190 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

Buying and Cooking Lamb Meat

I don't buy it often may be once a year if that, but is there a wide variety of brands? every store I shop at I always see the green packaging and the words from New Zealand as if there is only one supplier to our market and always from New Zealand.

The only recipe I've tried with it is lamb stew which is delicious but not worth the price premium from beef stew, imo. What other ways do you guys cook it? Roast?
31 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46775 posts
9876 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
I like to season with salt + pepper + rosemary. Then i smear dijon mustard all over it.
I let that sit at least over night. Or at the minimum a few hours.
Then I roast it or bake it.

Sometimes I lay a bed of veggies and potatoes on a big pan.
-onion
-celery
-carrots
-potato ballz

sprinkle salt, pepper, basil, red wine over the veggie/ballz mix. Put a few marinaded lamb chops from above on top... then I cover and let it simmer out for about 30ish minutes.
Oh yah... Sear the lamb chops first.

In the summers I do a super slow mo smoke of a lamb leg. It gets it super tender and tasty.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
10281 posts
4734 upvotes
My favourite thing to do is grab the cheap lamb shoulder specials at Metro and make Madhur Jaffrey’s red split lentils with lamb dalcha

The skunky curry leaves really make this dish and they can be had to find fresh, but my Walmart carries them. You can freeze fresh leaves for later use no problem. Dried ones are no good.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
2194 posts
555 upvotes
In Hiding
I also buy the cheap lamb shoulder chops at Metro. I rub them with bbq sauce, sprinkle with steak spice, then put them into the Instant Pot for 20 minutes. I take them out and brown under the broiler on high for a few minutes each side. The pressure cooking strips quite a lot of the fat out which is more healthy.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
11980 posts
1762 upvotes
You can get Ontario lamb as well. Currently featured in many flyers this week too. Check out metro and Highland farms.

Ontario will have a different taste than oz or NZ lamb...try it for yourself. I like to get the lamb chops that look like tiny t-bone steaks and cook them just like a rare to medium rare steak. Sometimes salt and pepper or sometimes with a very herbaceous marinade but you can do anything.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6813 posts
4010 upvotes
Aurora
Another vote for lamb shoulder at Metro. I've never tried Ontario lamb before but find it's more expensive than New Zealand lamb. Shoulder at Metro can be had for under $5/lb which is cheaper than beef. Rack of lamb is great for the grill but expensive as hell so I very rarely get it except for special occasions. One of my favourite shoulder dishes to make is Rogan Josh.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9706 posts
1973 upvotes
Toronto
I have used it in curry, stews with lots of pearl onions and in rice dishes.
I prefer goat though as it has less fat that potentially gets rancid as well.
On the grill is one way to get rid of most of the fat via cooking.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3942 posts
22242 upvotes
The highest quality of grade that you can get for lamb is either from New Zealand or Ontario, I prefer to support local so if the Ontario lamb is not on sale, I usually got with New Zealand.

If you are referring to brands, I am sure there are a bunch out there but you really only see a few different brands out there but mostly the same brand is most common.

I love my rack of lamb, roti and in currys. Sometimes if I'm lucky I can get it Shawarma as well but hard to come by.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46775 posts
9876 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
I also like making it the western chinese muslim style.

Cut into little bite size morsels.
Season with
-cumin
-salt
-pepper
-fennel seed
-chili powder
-a bit of masala mix bc i like when its red!

Leave that over night.
Skewer the meat.

Bbq over coals. I throw in my western cooking style and hot smoke it with apple wood chips.

Have this with cheap beer. No really... it goes best with a piss like domestic lager or ale. Frig even a buck a beer would work.
None of that hippy extra hop boo sheet. Because the meat is so pungent and theres so much spices... it just pairs better that way.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10454 posts
4556 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: I also like making it the western chinese muslim style.

Cut into little bite size morsels.
Season with
-cumin
-salt
-pepper
-fennel seed
-chili powder
-a bit of masala mix bc i like when its red!

Leave that over night.
Skewer the meat.

Bbq over coals. I throw in my western cooking style and hot smoke it with apple wood chips.

Have this with cheap beer. No really... it goes best with a piss like domestic lager or ale. Frig even a buck a beer would work.
None of that hippy extra hop boo sheet. Because the meat is so pungent and theres so much spices... it just pairs better that way.
Can I come to your house for dinner sometime? Every time you describe a recipe my mouth waters or my stomach growls.

Not just the bbq thread stuff, but also variety of ethnicity.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6811 posts
3102 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Try adding coriander and szechuan pepper (a citrus), all toasted + 5 spice, turmeric, mashed garlic. Was inspired by a roast leg of lamb I had in Richmond (Muslim Chinese style too, presumably) and European-style roast lamb (garlic rosemary, etc.) now tastes insipid by comparison.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5894 posts
1220 upvotes
Toronto
One thing I did a few times with ground lamb, is brown it like beef taco meat. Instead of cooking with a chili powder-based taco seasoning, I made my own Moroccan spice blend to cook into the ground lamb. I had it in pitas with a range of vegetables...mostly tabule. That experiment worked out better than I thought it would.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27969 posts
13601 upvotes
Proper shepard's pie.
None of this cottage pie.

Also ew NZ. <3 domestic.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4186 posts
2081 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Lamb shanks from Adonis.
Jar of your fav Pataks curry sauce, mine is Rogan Josh.
Instant pot for 1 hour or slow braise it for few hours.
Heaven.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21141 posts
2887 upvotes
Out west
markopas wrote: The highest quality of grade that you can get for lamb is either from New Zealand or Ontario, I prefer to support local so if the Ontario lamb is not on sale, I usually got with New Zealand.

If you are referring to brands, I am sure there are a bunch out there but you really only see a few different brands out there but mostly the same brand is most common.

I love my rack of lamb, roti and in currys. Sometimes if I'm lucky I can get it Shawarma as well but hard to come by.
Why would Ontario lamb be better, than say, Saskatchewan lamb?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
6811 posts
3102 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
WikkiWikki wrote: Why would Ontario lamb be better, than say, Saskatchewan lamb?
Probably a matter of availability. Sheep farming isn't exactly popular in Canada, I'd imagine even less so in the cold, great west.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
21141 posts
2887 upvotes
Out west
thriftshopper wrote: Probably a matter of availability. Sheep farming isn't exactly popular in Canada, I'd imagine even less so in the cold, great west.
But the quality of the meat wouldnt be better in Ontario.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14305 posts
9072 upvotes
Markham
This is really good way to cook lamb....from Vij's.

http://culinairemagazine.ca/vij-s-lamb- ... eek-curry/

If you want to try this dish and not cook it yourself, you can go to Pukka in Toronto as I think they copied the dish (or close approximation) and serve it. $32 for 4 chops!!! Not cheap which is why you should make it yourself.

http://www.pukka.ca/menus/
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27969 posts
13601 upvotes
WikkiWikki wrote: But the quality of the meat wouldnt be better in Ontario.
It's the proximity to the center of the universe that does it. The secret sauce so to speak.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3942 posts
22242 upvotes
It might have something to do with how the lamb is raised and fed.

NZ and Aus lamb is grass fed throughout it's life, and at 12mo. is when they are put to slaughter, I think Ontario lamb is also the same but based on our seasons and environment it has a slightly different taste.

US lamb is also environmental based on Colorado, Texas or New York - they are usually grass fed initially and then grain fed to fatten them up before slaughter which is why their meat is less desirable and marbled.

Also, a lot of the smell and taste comes from the fat, so the more of it that you trim away the the more milder in taste it will be.