Buying a disaster house

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2019 2:03 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1786 posts
1364 upvotes
Bay Area
rolenEDM wrote: Actually, if she comes to her senses she'll stop wanting to pay others a premium to do simple tasks that we can do ourselves to save tens of thousands of dollars. I don't tolerate her laziness or stupidity and I'm sorry if that offends some of you, but my wife is not some empowered modern feminist that I kowtow before!
Divorce your wife, that'll teach her to be a lazy leech!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
8823 posts
997 upvotes
If you are slightest in anyway handy, you can take the suggestions. I consider myself quite handy at many items... not a pro by any means but can handle general handy man task.

New shingles and flashings on the entire house roof. The upper loft has water stains on the ceiling and it seems the water ran down the wall into the attached garage below, as there were also water stains there. I'm hoping that would be fixed by new shingles and flashing on the roof but not entirely sure.
(This is something to be contracted out, safety is very real up there on the roof... unless it's a VERY low bungalow, i wouldn't even consider it DIY)

- New insulation and drywall along the wall that had water damage.
(rough work can be done by yourself, drywall finisithing is a great skill and should be contracted out)
- There are 10 approx 3' x 12' windows that need upgrading (didn't measure exact size, assuming something custom).
(again, contract this out... windows are expensive and installing them incorrectly could cost you more long term)
- I would remove 1 unnecessary wall to open the house up. I think that's as simple as knocking it out and patching up the ceiling + maybe floor?
( check with a structual engineer... but you can usually tell by going into an unfinished basement and see how the joint are held up)
- The entire house needs to be repainted.
(easy diy)
- The entire house needs to be floored (previous owner apparently lives there with no flooring). I'm thinking I'd do hardwood for most of it, maybe something different in the kitchen.
(again, simple tiling and flooring is pretty easy diy)
- The entire house needs baseboards.
(easy diy)
- The 2 bathrooms are in poor condition and could use new showers/sinks/bathtubs.
(sinks could be diy, bathroom and showers may be DIY... but if you are a newbie you should contract those out)
- Doors, frames, cupboards, etc, may be in varying states of disrepair but I'd try to sand and refinish what I could.
(diy, time consuming though to sand/etc... might be easier to buy prehung stuff and replace)
- Kitchen counter tops might need replacing. I'd probably redo tiles on the walls at the same time.
(diy, unless stone... then contract out)
- All new kitchen appliances needed.
(diy of course)
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Nov 10, 2014
335 posts
403 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
rolenEDM wrote: By undercutting them. It's their job and they want to be paid $100/hr for their renovations when they flip the house.
Do it OP. Buy the house and prove all these doubters and naysayers wrong, All the above posters have no idea what they are talking about and wouldn't be able to identify a true genius and a visionary even if one stands right in front of them. You will be able save tens of thousands, if not six figures by doing all the work yourself.

You are clearly very smart to come up with the Rolen Plan. The Rolen Plan will become the gold standard for Canadians and hundreds of books and podcasts will come out discussing how brilliant it is. I have no doubt that your ingenuity in retirement planning will translate to real estate success as well.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2017
1181 posts
1020 upvotes
Next thing you know we will see a thread from OP’s wife: “Living with a disaster husband”
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
17572 posts
2213 upvotes
Out west
Tadalafil wrote: Do it OP. Buy the house and prove all these doubters and naysayers wrong, All the above posters have no idea what they are talking about and wouldn't be able to identify a true genius and a visionary even if one stands right in front of them. You will be able save tens of thousands, if not six figures by doing all the work yourself.

You are clearly very smart to come up with the Rolen Plan. The Rolen Plan will become the gold standard for Canadians and hundreds of books and podcasts will come out discussing how brilliant it is. I have no doubt that your ingenuity in retirement planning will translate to real estate success as well.

Dont forget black mould, which he probably wont understand or think its there, then inhales it, and is sick as a dog.

Good luck OP, so does this mean you're moving our of your parents basement?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11502 posts
7791 upvotes
Edmonton
ProductGuy wrote: Next thing you know we will see a thread from OP’s wife: “Living with a disaster husband”
She’s probably not allowed access to the internet. Or an outside phone line...

C
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2018
1786 posts
1364 upvotes
Bay Area
He beat his wife and bragged about it

(probably)