Computers & Electronics

Buying electronics parts in Canada (from Digikey, Mouser, etc)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 8th, 2021 9:29 pm
[OP]
Dec 6, 2020
850 posts
917 upvotes

Buying electronics parts in Canada (from Digikey, Mouser, etc)

Does anyone have any recent experience buying electronics parts from Digikey, or any of the other global electronics suppliers that only fulfill Canadian orders from US warehouses?

I'm wondering what the current situation is with import fees.

Digikey claims that products bought on their Canadian site, and paid in CAD, will have duty and taxes prepaid. However, their customer service won't tell me if customs brokerage charges will be due on delivery.

For obvious reasons, I'm disinclined to order $25 worth of parts if the package courier-extortionist will demand $250 in brokerage fees just to hand a piece of paper over to customs.
21 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
2458 posts
1541 upvotes
London
Nothing like that with Digikey, as recent as a month ago.
You pay the stated price and about $8 to ship, and get it the next day.

I've never had brokerage with Digikey or Mouser Canadian websites.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3509 posts
2136 upvotes
London
middleofnowhere wrote: Does anyone have any recent experience buying electronics parts from Digikey, or any of the other global electronics suppliers that only fulfill Canadian orders from US warehouses?

I'm wondering what the current situation is with import fees.

Digikey claims that products bought on their Canadian site, and paid in CAD, will have duty and taxes prepaid. However, their customer service won't tell me if customs brokerage charges will be due on delivery.

For obvious reasons, I'm disinclined to order $25 worth of parts if the package courier-extortionist will demand $250 in brokerage fees just to hand a piece of paper over to customs.
ya digikey ships with the fastest fedex option for 8 bucks not sure how they swing that. depending on the item some of them have shipped from winnipeg others have shipped from the us but there have never been any extra fees. they charge u tax at checkout if u order off the digikey.ca site so yes u are pre paying the tax Barnes and noble does it like this to and amazon.com to although they call it an import depot fee. also since they us the fastest shipping option via fedex there are no broker fees on that as they are rolled in to the price fedex charges for shipping again idk how digikey can swing shipping fedex proity for 8 bucks or free if u order a large order heck even amazon.com would charge u a fortune to do that.
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2018
1806 posts
1277 upvotes
Vancouver
I recently ordered off Mouser.ca. It shipped from the US, though since they used USPS, there were no fees for like $21 worth of caps

Had no clue that Digikey.ca ships at $8 to Canada. At the time, I checked the .com site and the rate was something like $20 for shipping
Can't Stop. Won't Stop. Game Stop
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3509 posts
2136 upvotes
London
kramer1 wrote: I recently ordered off Mouser.ca. It shipped from the US, though since they used USPS, there were no fees for like $21 worth of caps

Had no clue that Digikey.ca ships at $8 to Canada. At the time, I checked the .com site and the rate was something like $20 for shipping
ya u have to make sure u order from .ca and not .com. then u get the $8 shipping and its free if the order is over 100 cad.

also when u pay use paypal then if there is any stuff u need/want to return paypal will pay for the return shipping.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3417 posts
1149 upvotes
BC
Just ordered from Digikey.ca. Order amount was $110 USD. There is no longer an option to pay in CAD. Fedex is dinging me ~$17 CAD.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
3394 posts
1456 upvotes
Ottawa
I ordered from Mouser.ca back in March for an order just over $100 CAD.

You have a couple options when you choose shipping. If you choose DDP (ex; UPS Worldwide Express Saver, FedEx International Priority, etc) which is free for CAD orders over $100, then they will charge HST and you won't have anything due at the door.

If you choose FCA, then it's cheaper shipping (ex: $8 for USPS Global Priority Mail), but there's a chance of getting hit with a bill after delivery.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4601 posts
1677 upvotes
Ordered ~$25 worth of parts from Digikey.ca back in May. Got charged in CAD, paid via paypal and it shipped from US, no extra brokerage fee. Came within a week as well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5825 posts
3828 upvotes
SW ON
Ren wrote: Just ordered from Digikey.ca. Order amount was $110 USD. There is no longer an option to pay in CAD. Fedex is dinging me ~$17 CAD.
You must have been on .com site. I just went to place an order and everything is still the same: charges in CAD, $8 FedEx shipping and HST is charged upfront.
Screenshot 2021-09-08 142118.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-08 142147a.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-08 142352.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-08 142412.jpg
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3417 posts
1149 upvotes
BC
alpovs wrote: You must have been on .com site. I just went to place an order and everything is still the same: charges in CAD, $8 FedEx shipping and HST is charged upfront.

Screenshot 2021-09-08 142118.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-08 142147a.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-08 142352.jpg
Screenshot 2021-09-08 142412.jpg
Nope receipt from Digikey even has a Canadian flag. The fedex charge does seem to coincide on what GST+PST would be.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5825 posts
3828 upvotes
SW ON
Ren wrote: Nope receipt from Digikey even has a Canadian flag. The fedex charge does seem to coincide on what GST+PST would be.
Looks like FedEx is charging you GST only because they charge a $10+tax processing fee in addition to taxes/duties. I don't know how else to explain your experience. See my screenshots from a few hours ago. Everything is in CAD and they say "Duty and customs paid by Digi-Key". I assume you didn't pay taxes when you ordered. Why didn't you stop then, if no taxes and charges in USD? Do you have an account with them? Maybe without account it's different.

P.S. I forgot. See one of my screenshots. You can choose the currency. Maybe you selected USD or it was by default. And maybe you can choose not to prepay taxes.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3417 posts
1149 upvotes
BC
alpovs wrote: Looks like FedEx is charging you GST only because they charge a $10+tax processing fee in addition to taxes/duties. I don't know how else to explain your experience. See my screenshots from a few hours ago. Everything is in CAD and they say "Duty and customs paid by Digi-Key". I assume you didn't pay taxes when you ordered. Why didn't you stop then, if no taxes and charges in USD? Do you have an account with them? Maybe without account it's different.

P.S. I forgot. See one of my screenshots. You can choose the currency. Maybe you selected USD or it was by default. And maybe you can choose not to prepay taxes.
Some retailers negotiate with Fedex not to charge brokerage. I wonder if that is the case here.

Edit: never mind I think I was only charged GST. Only way numbers add up.
Last edited by Ren on Sep 8th, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5825 posts
3828 upvotes
SW ON
Ren wrote: Some retailers negotiate with Fedex not to charge brokerage. I wonder if that is the case here.
It is definitely the case if you pay $8 (or free over $100) for shipping, and prepay taxes. If you got a separate charge from FedEx it definitely not the case. If you are in BC I think you are not supposed to pay PST.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3509 posts
2136 upvotes
London
Ren wrote: Just ordered from Digikey.ca. Order amount was $110 USD. There is no longer an option to pay in CAD. Fedex is dinging me ~$17 CAD.
just added some items to the cart and it was charging $20 for shipping vs the old flat rate of $8 and it says duty and tax will be due at the door were it just use to charge tax upfront no import fee. this is on .ca not com
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4601 posts
1677 upvotes
What are you guys ordering thats getting dinged for $20 shipping? Must be more than just small components?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3509 posts
2136 upvotes
London
coilz wrote: What are you guys ordering thats getting dinged for $20 shipping? Must be more than just small components?
i added a couple small pc type fans for testing. package would have been small and under a pound.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5825 posts
3828 upvotes
SW ON
aaron158 wrote: just added some items to the cart and it was charging $20 for shipping vs the old flat rate of $8 and it says duty and tax will be due at the door were it just use to charge tax upfront no import fee. this is on .ca not com
Can you post links to what you tried to order? See my post above with screenshots from today. I was offered an $8 flat rate shipping and prepaid taxes. Maybe it depends on what you order or your location. I can try ordering what you tried to order and see what I get for shipping and taxes.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3509 posts
2136 upvotes
London
alpovs wrote: Can you post links to what you tried to order? See my post above with screenshots from today. I was offered an $8 flat rate shipping and prepaid taxes. Maybe it depends on what you order or your location. I can try ordering what you tried to order and see what I get for shipping and taxes.
well here is were it gets even odder. if i add item 259-1798-ND to the cart on digikey.ca on my desktop computer it wants to charge 20 for shipping and says duty will be charged at the door. if i add the same items to the cart on my laptop and go into the checkout it says 8 for shipping and charges the hst and says duty will be paid by digikey so idk both using the same brower both say there on digikey.ca so don't get it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2013
5825 posts
3828 upvotes
SW ON
aaron158 wrote: well here is were it gets even odder. if i add item 259-1798-ND to the cart on digikey.ca on my desktop computer it wants to charge 20 for shipping and says duty will be charged at the door. if i add the same items to the cart on my laptop and go into the checkout it says 8 for shipping and charges the hst and says duty will be paid by digikey so idk both using the same brower both say there on digikey.ca so don't get it.
Do you have an account with them? Were you logged in on both computers?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)