Computers & Electronics

Buying electronics parts in Canada (from Digikey, Mouser, etc)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2021 11:51 am
[OP]
Dec 6, 2020
286 posts
259 upvotes

Buying electronics parts in Canada (from Digikey, Mouser, etc)

Does anyone have any recent experience buying electronics parts from Digikey, or any of the other global electronics suppliers that only fulfill Canadian orders from US warehouses?

I'm wondering what the current situation is with import fees.

Digikey claims that products bought on their Canadian site, and paid in CAD, will have duty and taxes prepaid. However, their customer service won't tell me if customs brokerage charges will be due on delivery.

For obvious reasons, I'm disinclined to order $25 worth of parts if the package courier-extortionist will demand $250 in brokerage fees just to hand a piece of paper over to customs.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1936 posts
911 upvotes
London
Nothing like that with Digikey, as recent as a month ago.
You pay the stated price and about $8 to ship, and get it the next day.

I've never had brokerage with Digikey or Mouser Canadian websites.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2537 posts
1321 upvotes
London
middleofnowhere wrote: Does anyone have any recent experience buying electronics parts from Digikey, or any of the other global electronics suppliers that only fulfill Canadian orders from US warehouses?

I'm wondering what the current situation is with import fees.

Digikey claims that products bought on their Canadian site, and paid in CAD, will have duty and taxes prepaid. However, their customer service won't tell me if customs brokerage charges will be due on delivery.

For obvious reasons, I'm disinclined to order $25 worth of parts if the package courier-extortionist will demand $250 in brokerage fees just to hand a piece of paper over to customs.
ya digikey ships with the fastest fedex option for 8 bucks not sure how they swing that. depending on the item some of them have shipped from winnipeg others have shipped from the us but there have never been any extra fees. they charge u tax at checkout if u order off the digikey.ca site so yes u are pre paying the tax Barnes and noble does it like this to and amazon.com to although they call it an import depot fee. also since they us the fastest shipping option via fedex there are no broker fees on that as they are rolled in to the price fedex charges for shipping again idk how digikey can swing shipping fedex proity for 8 bucks or free if u order a large order heck even amazon.com would charge u a fortune to do that.
Apr 29, 2018
945 posts
563 upvotes
Vancouver
I recently ordered off Mouser.ca. It shipped from the US, though since they used USPS, there were no fees for like $21 worth of caps

Had no clue that Digikey.ca ships at $8 to Canada. At the time, I checked the .com site and the rate was something like $20 for shipping
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2537 posts
1321 upvotes
London
kramer1 wrote: I recently ordered off Mouser.ca. It shipped from the US, though since they used USPS, there were no fees for like $21 worth of caps

Had no clue that Digikey.ca ships at $8 to Canada. At the time, I checked the .com site and the rate was something like $20 for shipping
ya u have to make sure u order from .ca and not .com. then u get the $8 shipping and its free if the order is over 100 cad.

also when u pay use paypal then if there is any stuff u need/want to return paypal will pay for the return shipping.