• Dec 22nd, 2014 2:33 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
7082 posts
5209 upvotes

Buying Fruit (Prices?)

Does anyone know of a good resource that outlines price of particular fruit?

I live in Ontario (GTA) and wonder if there is such a thing out there.

I know there is this:

https://www.ontario.ca/foodland/availability-guide

But that only outlines when certain fruits and vegetables are available from Ontario growers.

I am looking for a sort of price guide. Even though it would be a rough guide, I just wonder if one exists for pricing in Ontario (GTA region).
3 replies
May 28, 2012
12484 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Don't just go by price...I buy a lot of my produce at Costco and it might be a bit more expensive than at Superstore, but I find it lasts longer and there's more product (either larger amount in bag or larger fruit). I don't know what Superstore does with their strawberries and other highly perishable fruit and veggies, but I could never get it to last longer than a day or so in my fridge. Makes sense to pay a bit more and get to use it all up than to save a dollar and have to throw away half of it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Flyers tell half the story as you are not sure of the quality you're going to get for that price.

Surprisingly, at Asian stores you can get better quality fruits at better prices compared to the budget stores like No Frills.

Take apples for instance. Despite the bumper crops which has resulted in more apple cider on the shelves,No Frills and Food Basics has held the price steady for apples at around the $1.47/lb mark for lacklustre quality fruit.

Asian stores has had higher grade,larger apples on sale for around $0.98/lb or lower and normal prices of $1.29/lb.

Costco does have pretty high prices for fruit. I buy bananas and they do last longer.

Their apples seem to come from places further than North America like Chile.

Strawberries I have bought at the Korean vendors on Bloor Street around Runnymede.

Because of it's ability to absorb so much pesticides etc though it is not on my list of fruits anymore.
Jun 14, 2012
412 posts
36 upvotes
I tend to compare frozen fruits vs the regular produce when it is something I use in smoothies. 3-4 bucks/600 grams is a standard I use for mangos, blue berries,strawberries and a few others. Sometimes I don't bother with fresh berries as they have a very short lifespan and often when they go on sale it becomes hard to find quality produce and even though it is cheaper, the quality is subpar.

With some stores like food basics and no frills it really depends on the store owner. Some stores have better quality produce(front street/sherbourne is good) while others sell crap.

here is a list of prices that I find are fair atm. prices are from nofrills

grapes - 1.97 - 2.97/lb
apples 1.47/lb
pears 1.29/lb
"exotic apples like ya pears" 1.49/lb
berries 2.97/container
grapefruit - 60 cents/each
watermelons small 2.97-3.97 each
cantelope 1.99-2.99 each
honeydew 3.99 each(stayed the same as summer for the most part)
mangos 1.29 each