Real Estate

Buying a house to live in only 2 years?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2020 3:09 pm
May 23, 2017
830 posts
571 upvotes
clydelee2020 wrote: Speaking as a parent of young children, and having friends and family that headed out to fort mac for a couple years/ bounced around BC in telecom work a few, I'd like to mention something here that nobody else will touch on. I hope you and your spouse are mentally prepared for what lies ahead.
I second this...as a new parent of a small baby I know for a fact we could not have done this (uproot ourselves for 2 years to a rural area with no support). Being a new parent is really hard, and I think a lot of first-time parents-to-be underestimate just how hard it is. OP definitely make sure you are mentally prepared for this move.

As for your original question, if I were you I would buy. Two years is a long time to live somewhere you're not comfortable in, especially with a newborn.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2013
77 posts
34 upvotes
NorthBC wrote: I’ve lived in Chetwynd for several years, I owned for the first 6, but sold last year (and went back to renting) due to a variety of factors I feel are upcoming. It certainly feels like a peak of sorts. Rent is also at its peak especially with covid as it has pushed people who would normally stay in camp back into town with closures or capacity reductions. When the mine was closed a few years ago rents were half of current prices with lots of incentives like first month free....sometimes stuff does sell fast (mine was under a month). There’s at least a couple properties that has been for sale the whole time I’ve been here!
Honestly housing is the biggest crux of living here. I wouldn’t recommend anyone move here right now unless they are flexible on housing (renting a room, living in a travel trailer). Or could commit to here longer term. That being said you certainly aren’t the only one who would try to buy and sell with a couple years. Chetwynd has generally avoided the boom and bust like other towns due to more variety of work (*cough* Tumbler ridge), but who knows what the future brings. You’re price is optimistic unless you want more of a project (250-300,000 is more the norm)....although legion sub has much more affordable housing if you’ll take a trailer on its own lot.
Thanks for the reply! It's nice to hear from someone who actually lives there and has some knowledge of the area's market. I think rent is certainly at it's peak, we have been on wait lists for apartments for a few months and have been asking around but no luck so far. With only a few months left before I join him, we are getting worried about being able to find a suitable place in time, which is why we are considering buying. Our worry though is being able to sell the home in a reasonable amount of time once we return to our hometown. We are trying to be flexible and looking at all our options, but with a newborn on the way, we are a bit picky about housing.
[OP]
Apr 30, 2013
77 posts
34 upvotes
clydelee2020 wrote: Speaking as a parent of young children, and having friends and family that headed out to fort mac for a couple years/ bounced around BC in telecom work a few, I'd like to mention something here that nobody else will touch on. I hope you and your spouse are mentally prepared for what lies ahead. You will be moving to a very remote town with no friends or family for support during a time when you will absolutely need them the most. It is going to be very isolating both physically and emotionally. I can assume your spouse will spend long hours away from home for work, while you will be home tending to your baby. How will you get to a hospital if you need to go urgently? Will you have your own separate vehicle to drive yourself? What about if your baby needs to go to the hospital right away? Are you able to drive the baby yourself or are you going to have to first make contact with your spouse, ask him drop everything he is doing (tough to do when working in a team environment) and rush home to drive you guys? There are a number of prenatal apts, and also checkups after birth for both mommy and baby and I see this as something that will be much more difficult, especially with a husband that wont be working typical hours. Usually the people that take on these jobs go in with a mindset that they are doing a short prison bid/army stint for a couple of years. My guy that was forced to bring his gf along, well it didnt end well for them because the situation became too stressful. Add postpartum depression into the mix (which is very real), and things can become very bleak. Also, if your husband is going to work long hours doing a very physical job, rest and recovery will be of utmost importance to his on the job safety. This will be much harder to achieve when cramped in close quarters and a crying newborn right beside him. Anyways, not saying your spouse shouldn't take the job, I just wanted you to keep all of these things in mind.
The stress of being new parents without family support is something that does worry us about moving to a new town, especially a rural one. Thankfully my husband does not have the typical northern job and works 9-5 in a non-physical job. Not to say it isn't demanding, but it does make things a bit easier, especially for getting to appointments and such. I think that our mental health and the isolation is something we didn't immediately consider when he took the job. Then again, we also weren't expecting at the time, so we are trying our best to work with our situation. Making sure we are comfortable and have enough space for a newborn is one of the main reasons we are considering buying. Anything to make things a bit easier for us! It will also be more suitable for when parents and family come to visit.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
1884 posts
417 upvotes
If it was GTA or some hot market, buying and selling in a short period of time will still provide gains but in not so hot areas, it’s a bad choice.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)