Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
8679 posts
5525 upvotes
Vancouver

Buying house on a steep hill?

Potentially purchasing a house on a relatively steep hill as a rental property. Possible concerns that I'm aware of:

1.) Potential waterdraining issues
2.) Potential further settling of land which may cause leaning in future.
3.) Higher insurance rate?

Anything else I'm missing? Thanks!
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1597 posts
968 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
Harder to drive up and down the hill when it rains or snows.
Mar 1, 2016
337 posts
270 upvotes
Turn off for potential tenants with young kids. Hard to learn how to bike, scooter, roller skate, etc. careening down a steep hill:)
Deal Addict
Apr 19, 2016
1031 posts
858 upvotes
GTA, ontario
cutting grass will suck. same for the snow. might scare off some tenants.
chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks
buy BTC + hold BTC (cold storage pls) = relax
Mar 12, 2017
706 posts
661 upvotes
BigDurian wrote: Turn off for potential tenants with young kids. Hard to learn how to bike, scooter, roller skate, etc. careening down a steep hill:)
Playing with a ball too. Plus more dangerous in winter for them.

I wouldn't want a house on a steep hill with my kids.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6601 posts
6078 upvotes
House wise - structurally/drainage wise, no - different story if you were at the bottom of a hill.

Any downside of living on top of a hill side are 'human' related. If you drive a standard but aren't that good or comfortable at it and/or you don't put on winter tires. This past winter I left my all seasons (which are almost end of life) on because I wasn't really driving anywhere. I drive a standard and the one time I went out at night it snowed and I made the mistake of going on up a steep hill and got into sticky situation lol. Also if you plan to bike - going up and down a steep isn't fun (for me) but good exercise going up.

If the house itself is great and within budget - the hill wouldn't deter me personally.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2015
9187 posts
5800 upvotes
ON
Water drainage issues on a steep hill ? Gravity laws don't apply in that neighborhood ?
I always decline the optional sewer backup insurance Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes, shit rolls downhill.
I live at the top of a steep hill, love the view, especially entertaining in the winter when folks try to drive up or down an snowy/icy road...I own a 4x4 and have no issues so far.
Take kids to play at the park, no problem.
Structurally, unless the hill was recently formed(garbage dump site) you will have no issues or no more issues than a house on flat land.
Free workout when walking to and fro your house.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)