• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2017 8:43 am
11 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
You don't have to finish anything more. My carport is only exposed wood.

Just add any sort of siding or wall finish on top of the tyvek and good to go. But you don't have to do that right away.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5111 posts
1546 upvotes
Kitchener
I would just install the same D4 vinyl siding that's on the house. You should be able to find a handyman to to that for $1500 labour and materials. The inside doesn't matter, unless you want it it to look good
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32135 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Ask them to finish it as part of the purchase agreement?
Is there a permit required/obtained on it?
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Fanatic
Nov 18, 2005
5111 posts
1546 upvotes
Kitchener
crystallight wrote: How much work is involved in installing the siding and how long would it take? 1 or 2 days?
It doesn't look like that much siding would be needed as the carport is fairly small. I was thinking about getting something like these: https://www.lowes.ca/vinyl-siding/mitte ... 06391.html
One box of those covers 200 sq ft. Not sure if 1 box would be enough but even if I get 2 boxes (which should be way more then enough) it'd only be $330 in total.
I really have no idea how much work and how long it would take for someone to install it though.

As for the inside, the exposed wood is fine even if snow/rain gets inside?
In addition to that siding you will need corners, starter strip, j-trim, window and door capping, caulking, siding nails. It looks like those side windows will need flashing or a molding. It would take 2 days of work.
The interior is okay. If snow, water or sun doesn't get on the interior wood it'll be fine
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32135 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
crystallight wrote: Sellers won't finish it. No idea about permits.
Did you already sign everything?
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32135 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
crystallight wrote: Ok thanks. And it wouldn't be advisable to just leave everything as is for now right? Like waiting a couple years to finish it would be a bad idea as the weather would damage the current exterior?
The tyvek can only take short periods of UV exposure, not years
You can DIY vinyl siding, just watch some youtube videos
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32135 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
crystallight wrote: Yep everything is signed.

I didn't even know UV was a factor, figured it was more so used for rain and snow.
I'd be afraid of DIY because I have never done this sort of thing before. Youtube would be very helpful and I usually pick up on things quickly, but if I mess up it could be quite costly I imagine. Plus I don't have any equipment...for instance I imagine I'd need a saw of some kind to cut the siding to shape. I suppose if I DIY I can just buy my own equipment and still save a bunch of money, but again not sure if I'd be able to do the job properly.
Plus there's all the other stuff the other poster said: corners, starter strip, j-trim, window and door capping, caulking, siding nails, flashing/molding.
Vinyl siding is not complicated, it feeds into corners, its nailed into place, it requires trim and flashing. You can learn to do it yourself if your interested, but what real estate agent and lawyer did you have that let them off the hook for an unfinished and possibly unpermitted carport?
I hope you at least got title insurance.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32135 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
crystallight wrote: So all the things you and the other poster said is required, you think I'd be able to do it myself through youtube and other online resources? How much do you think all the materials would be?

And sorry, I meant the purchase agreement has been signed. Yes I'll be getting title insurance. Carport is unfinished as sellers have no incentive to finish it, that's what happens when houses get multiple offers.
You can build a house yourself from scratch if you want to and learn the skills, so yes i think you can do siding.
Just curious (from all your threads lately) have you asked for their heating bills from the last 12 months? I think you should.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5380 posts
4994 upvotes
Toronto
Just pay someone to put siding on it. And buy yourself some DIY books / watch some YouTube videos on basic home construction (framing, siding, electrical etc.) You should at least have a basic understanding of how a home is built if you're going to own one.

Simple things like knowing wall studs are (or should be) spaced 16" on centre, so you can find one when you want to hang a shelf. Or things like getting rid of the black stock hoses connecting your washing machine and replacing them with braided steel hose to avoid bursting/flood. Chances are the hoses on your washer, if it was included in the home sale, are as old as the house.

How long has the car port been up?

Tyvek can take years of exposure. It's not going to fall apart or cause any trouble. I've seen so many cottages left covered in house-wrap for many years it's not funny. Yes, UV will break it down etc. etc. but it's not going to make your car port fall over.

You want to get it closed up to keep your neighbours happy so they don't call the city to complain, then you find out your carport encroaches on the setback required to the side yard line and you're forced to tear it down.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32135 posts
15416 upvotes
Socially Distanced
crystallight wrote: There is no way I'd have the skills to build a house from scratch lol.
But you honestly think someone who has never done any home reno stuff before would be able to properly install siding and all the other little stuff too?
I haven't requested the heating bills, but I will do that. You think they'll be abnormally high or something?
There are resources online to learn how to do everything, and siding is not on the high difficulty list. Just make sure you get the flashings right and caulking applied where needed, water is the enemy of wood.
Every house is unique in heating bills even if identical floor plan, if there is high levels of stack effect heat loss or thermal bridging or lack of insulation the bills can be sky high. However if you have already signed your kinda screwed if this is an inefficient house and keep in mind bills will change every year because Heating Degree Days are never the same from year to year
Sep 12, 2008
580 posts
201 upvotes
Hamilton, on
crystallight wrote: Just confirmed that permits were obtained when they did the carport :)

Anyways, I'm really hoping I can get the siding done for $1,000 or less.
Where are you located?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)