None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
fightbriz wrote:
Feb 18th, 2013 10:34 pm
Is it cheaper to build your own computer from scratch, or to buy something like the Dell i7 that's on sale for like $675, and then replace the video card with a $200-$300 one?
Did this thread teach you anything?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
xalex0 wrote:
Feb 18th, 2013 10:49 pm
Did this thread teach you anything?
It certainly teaches you to go on the forum and scream for help if your plan fails terribly. :facepalm:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
fightbriz wrote:
Feb 18th, 2013 10:34 pm
Is it cheaper to build your own computer from scratch, or to buy something like the Dell i7 that's on sale for like $675, and then replace the video card with a $200-$300 one?
I think that's an insanely brilliant idea since Dell systems are more scalable. Just make sure that if it comes with Win8, that you don't need to add a second HDD to retrieve your old files as
Windows 8 UEFI won't boot together with, in presence of,
another drive in the system when that other drive contains an extended Partition.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
298 upvotes
New Westminster
bgallagher wrote:
Feb 18th, 2013 11:02 pm
I think that's an insanely brilliant idea since Dell systems are more scalable. Just make sure that if it comes with Win8, that you don't need to add a second HDD to retrieve your old files as
i think it sucks that the premade companies have stopped giving you the recovery disks unless you pay extra for them. last time i bought a premade was a laptop from dell and that even came with not only a recovery disk but the original operating system disk which is better since it doesn't have all the crap these companies fill your system with. My sister has had to buy a new acer and if the hard drive dies she is dead in the water after the warranty ends since she doesn't even know how to make recovery disks.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2009
2100 posts
806 upvotes
London
I appreciate such nice rfd members helping people out. Learned a thing or two here and there too! Although, I'm a little surprised you went against what everyone advised ,op. You've got balls and absolutely crazy at the same time to do this. Lost so much time in the process..
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
Keas wrote:
Feb 18th, 2013 11:21 pm
i think it sucks that the premade companies have stopped giving you the recovery disks unless you pay extra for them. last time i bought a premade was a laptop from dell and that even came with not only a recovery disk but the original operating system disk which is better since it doesn't have all the crap these companies fill your system with. My sister has had to buy a new acer and if the hard drive dies she is dead in the water after the warranty ends since she doesn't even know how to make recovery disks.
It's really not necessary. They give you a recovery partition. And if worst comes to worst, you should be able to download the ISO for free, and just use you serial key. With the prices going down, it's not economical to include extra materials.
Aug 14, 2010
123 posts
41 upvotes
The drivers that could be missing is : Original Intel Management Engine Interface Driver http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... 252#189261 the rest appear to be working.

Have you try this : http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ and see if the scan make you download your missing drivers.

Edit : nah The Intel Management Engine Interface enables communication between the host operating system and the Intel Management Engine firmware. appear to be related to allows remote access to your computer if configured properly.

But try the scan anyway... could not hurt
May 4, 2012
117 posts
80 upvotes
Calgary
OP should have listen to the majority of the people here. When buying prebuilt, you always get shoddy motherboard (limited bios access), power supply, etc. Building a pc isn't that hard, but you decide to upgrade a HP desktop when you could have chosen your parts to begin with :facepalm: . Your loss dude.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
datako wrote:
Feb 19th, 2013 12:35 am
I appreciate such nice rfd members helping people out. Learned a thing or two here and there too! Although, I'm a little surprised you went against what everyone advised ,op. You've got balls and absolutely crazy at the same time to do this. Lost so much time in the process..
What you have learned my friend, is that when you do something a little out of the ordinary, something (either good or bad, doesn't matter, but it gotta be something) is bound to happen (or something like that).
Nothing too ballsy, too crazy here. It was supposed to be a pretty smooth operation, just taking out the HD 7450 out, and putting my 5-year old 9800 GTX+ in, hence this thread. I took the time to research about the hp product first, knowing that I would have to replace the 300W PSU as well and I realized, might as well connect the HDD from the old pc into the new one since there's 4 SATA ports and I need to retrieve the files from the old pc. I realized that the hp pavilion was a real "piece of crap" as everyone noticed here even before purchasing it (look at various comments on this thread before I made the purchase). But as I said, I would use the pc for essentially non-gaming purposes (just want to play Starcraft2 sometimes) and anyway, I'm getting too old for gaming, maybe. I've played Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES console, I still have the NES console somewhere in the house. So that makes me old.
Arkeron wrote:
Feb 19th, 2013 1:15 am
The drivers that could be missing is : Original Intel Management Engine Interface Driver http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... 252#189261 the rest appear to be working.

Have you try this : http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ and see if the scan make you download your missing drivers.

Edit : nah The Intel Management Engine Interface enables communication between the host operating system and the Intel Management Engine firmware. appear to be related to allows remote access to your computer if configured properly.

But try the scan anyway... could not hurt
Damn, that's what I thought too, that the Original Intel Management Engine Interface Driver was what I need to make the front USB ports work, after going through the drivers list in this page
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/Te ... nvOID=4132
which I tried them all but each time got the "Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled. (9996)" error message because those are all Windows8 drivers. :(
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
MrFenzee wrote:
Feb 19th, 2013 2:05 am
OP should have listen to the majority of the people here. When buying prebuilt, you always get shoddy motherboard (limited bios access), power supply, etc. Building a pc isn't that hard, but you decide to upgrade a HP desktop when you could have chosen your parts to begin with :facepalm: . Your loss dude.
What I should have listened to is my wallet :lol: :lol: , or, more seriously, my needs :D , which I did :razz:
Non-gaming system, choose ->
a)build your own pc from scratch
b)off-the-shelf pc
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2881 posts
355 upvotes
Montreal
Prebuilt PCs should be used as is unless the only upgrade you're doing is just adding RAM which most home users don't know how to do it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2007
7084 posts
691 upvotes
Toronto
bgallagher wrote:
Feb 19th, 2013 3:54 am
It was supposed to be a pretty smooth operation, just taking out the HD 7450 out, and putting my 5-year old 9800 GTX+ in, hence this thread.
It was pretty smooth until you decided to move the HDD as well, and wiped the OS in the process.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
Arkeron wrote:
Feb 19th, 2013 1:49 am
After some research i found that probably the chipset operate the usb.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/ ... 448#Issue2

i found that too :
http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/foxconn ... -h61-uatx/
The emphasis is on "CAN":
An out of date Chipset Driver or BIOS can cause abnormal USB issues.
I installed the Motheboard Chipset Driver from your link findlaptopdriver, no error but after rebooting, still front usb ports not working. :(
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2012
2819 posts
1743 upvotes
Montreal
I've found this but how is that gonna help with my problem, huh?
That was back in May 2012.
http://windowssecrets.com/forums/showth ... 0-For-Some

[QUOTE]
The fact that Microsoft are now collaborating with Renesas (was NEC) on WIN 8 Native (builtin in O/S) driver:
Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 0096 driver means that it should work and any solution applied to WIN 7.

This cannot be a priority for Microsoft, only gentle pressure from users might help.

PROBLEM: Some Installations with WIN 7 don't encounter USB 3.0 bug, so:
BLAME: MOTHERBOARD / BIOS [Old PC after all] OR
Host Controller Hardware Card / Firmware OR
Host Controller Software/Drivers OR
OPERATING SYSTEM (o/s) AND even
CHIPSET [ Ivy Brridge etc. - That leaves most of us, far behind]
[/QUOTE]

Also found this (looks promising!! :cheesygri :cheesygri )
[QUOTE]
Some of the USB ports on that motherboard are connected to the Intel Z77 chipset while the rest are connected to the VIA VL800 USB 3.0 controller.

Windows 7 does not have native USB 3.0 drivers so to use any USB 3.0 port you must install the relevant drivers.

The Z77 ports can be enabled by installing the Intel chipset software here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/co [...] on+Utility

The VIA VL800 ports can be enabled by installing the drivers located here:

http://www.via-labs.com/en/downloa [...] A_WHQL.zip
[/QUOTE]