• Last Updated:
  • Feb 16th, 2021 6:35 pm
[OP]
May 4, 2020
175 posts
31 upvotes

buying internet connection for 1 day

Hi
I have important zoom meet and I have internet connection now but it is not stable so I want to have plan B in case the connection was dropped during the meet. Is there anyway I can buy internet connection (temporary). I heard people using usb key to connect to the internet. I would like to know about that. If you have any experience about that and from where I can buy it, I would appreciate your help very much. Thank you again.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2626 posts
442 upvotes
if you have a cell and you can spare your data, you can actually hotspot off your cellphone, i even did it for my kids online learning the other day when my internet went down
[OP]
May 4, 2020
175 posts
31 upvotes
Thanks for your reply. I have cell but only voice not data! Thank you.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2626 posts
442 upvotes
lwlwlwlw wrote: Thanks for your reply. I have cell but only voice not data! Thank you.
another option then is, if you are friendly/close to your neighbors, ask them if you can wifi off them just for the meeting, they can give you access to guest access
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4351 posts
1705 upvotes
GTA
lwlwlwlw wrote: Thanks for your reply. I have cell but only voice not data! Thank you.
Then buy some temporary data for your phone, or drive around tim hortons or starbucks and find some free wifi.
Nov 30, 2015
388 posts
190 upvotes
GTA, ON
Supahhh wrote: For real?!
Yup. Many of us don't have or need data service on our cell phones. Wifi at home is sufficient for many of us retired people.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
7966 posts
2658 upvotes
Maple
lazybummer wrote: Yup. Many of us don't have or need data service on our cell phones. Wifi at home is sufficient for many of us retired people.
Yup! I am on Speakout prepay.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5641 posts
2490 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
iPhone XS 64 GB on SpeakOut. Did buy data for a road trip but PAYG otherwise!
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
1516 posts
169 upvotes
lwlwlwlw wrote: Hi
I have important zoom meet and I have internet connection now but it is not stable so I want to have plan B in case the connection was dropped during the meet. Is there anyway I can buy internet connection (temporary). I heard people using usb key to connect to the internet. I would like to know about that. If you have any experience about that and from where I can buy it, I would appreciate your help very much. Thank you again.
for the meeting unplug the ethernet cable and plug your computer in directly to the modem. Turn off the wifi on the modem for the meeting.
Dec 3, 2014
13 posts
7 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Check with your local library and ask if they are lending personal hotspots, many of them do for free of charge
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4557 posts
1568 upvotes
lwlwlwlw wrote: Hi
Sit in your car that is parked in the parking lot outside of a Tim Horton's / Starbucks / McDonald's.

And then connect to their FREE WIFI .... it's FREE! No need to buy anything unless if you want to get a coffee
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9189 posts
4489 upvotes
Markham
Is this wifi issue or internet connection?

When i host a Skype call and need recording , I always use cable to connect with laptop and router instead wifi
Nov 15, 2020
560 posts
298 upvotes
What you really mean is that you dont want to pay for data usage with your current cell plan. The cell plan allows you to use data for surfing etc, but they charge per megabyte. Better off adding a data plan
Apr 29, 2018
936 posts
550 upvotes
Vancouver
I would just a cheap prepaid SIM and activate a dataplan on it. Something like Public Mobile, Koodo, etc. Plus they normally give extra data on the first month too, so that should be easily enough for a day.