Computers & Electronics

Buying a laptop for music, advice plz!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 3rd, 2012 12:33 pm

Poll: (Quick Vote) Which would u go for?

• Total votes: 6. You have voted on this poll.
Go for the Samsung!

17%
Dell!!

17%
Sony Vaio!

17%
Other (please write)

50%
[OP]
Jan 2, 2012
2 posts

Buying a laptop for music, advice plz!

I'm looking to buy one of these laptops mainly for mixing/recording music, occasionally internet browsing & downloading loops.

Samsung i5 2430M Processor at Best Buy $600

Dell i5 $620 at Best Buy

Sony Vaio $700 at Future Shop

I'm a bit weary of making my (long overdue) purchase because this is a splurge for me & the warranties may pile on even more $$$... :confused:

Could anyone with good tech experience leave some advice? Thank you. :)
7 replies
Nov 29, 2006
161 posts
22 upvotes
Brampton
These laptops have similar specs except the screen size. I would recommend Sony Vaio due to its larger HD size (although it says its sold out). Although upon further investigation, I find this laptop to be much better than the ones listed above. (Its got 1tb HD and i7 processor and 8gb of ram! It should be good for at least a few more years)
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2003
2366 posts
398 upvotes
Edmonton
GoldenWolf wrote: These laptops have similar specs except the screen size. I would recommend Sony Vaio due to its larger HD size (although it says its sold out). Although upon further investigation, I find this laptop to be much better than the ones listed above. (Its got 1tb HD and i7 processor and 8gb of ram! It should be good for at least a few more years)

Decent dedicated graphics on the Samsung: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeF ... 715.0.html
Definition: Than
A conjunction used to introduce the second element of an unequal comparison: She had better grammar than I.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2006
7720 posts
394 upvotes
Scarborough
If you want something for music, you need to up your price. I would suggest the Asus NX series ... they are designed with Audiophiles in mind.

Also, if you go Asus you get the industries best warranty:
ASUS' complementary notebook care package offer a level of coverage that would add hundreds of dollars to the price of competing laptops. You have extra protection when they happen to your ASUS notebook purchased in the US or Canada. ASUS will fix it or replace it for you at no charge during the first year after purchase in the event of damage from accidental spills, drops, electrical surges, or fire.

* Industry Leading Warranty: ASUS 360 -- 2 Year Global Warranty (estimated $200 value, FREE)
* 30-Day flawless display guaranty: If you discover one defective bright dot within 30 days of purchase, ASUS will replace the panel at no cost.
* Two way free shipping
* 24/7 tech support
* Warranty covering accidental drops, spills, power surges, and fire damage
* Target 3 business day turnaround time for repair / replacement; not including receiving and shipping time
* One-way shipping (from ASUS to the user) at no additional cost
* 24 hour toll-free phone support
Banned
Apr 15, 2011
6976 posts
45 upvotes
GVRD
_Allan_ wrote: If you want something for music, you need to up your price. I would suggest the Asus NX series ... they are designed with Audiophiles in mind.

That's more than double the price of the models the thread starter listed as options! He should be okay with the less costly models he's listed.
"I don't think conflict is a bad thing ... As long as you handle it as men." - John Tortorella

2013 RFD NHL Playoffs Pool CHAMPION #CONFIRMED
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2008
4704 posts
163 upvotes
VCR wrote: That's more than double the price of the models the thread starter listed as options! He should be okay with the less costly models he's listed.

Ssshhhh! You're interrupting the Asus NX series press release.
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
20667 posts
6088 upvotes
GTA
I know nothing about Macs, but aren't they pretty good for music?

Perhaps a refurb Macbook? Though I dont think the software is free, might make it over budget if not already :confused:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)