• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2021 10:34 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1607 posts
1300 upvotes

Buying a larger vehicle could save your life - Food for thought

This is something I've said all my life. Glad to see some studies agree with me.

From the Globe and mail, by Mark Richardson

When it comes to driving safety, sometimes bigger really is better.

“These days, it’s more about well-designed crumple zones and impact protection, not just heavy steel,” I said.

Take the tiny Smart car, for example, which cossets its driver and passenger in a high-strength protective “Tridion” cage. A few years ago, Smart’s marketing department demonstrated its sturdiness in a TV ad that parked a three-tonne Ford Expedition SUV on top of a Smart car, which remained unbowed.

If a heavy truck crashes into a Smart car, the much lighter vehicle will probably go flying, but its shaken-up passengers will be protected in the same way a race-car driver is protected by the car’s roll cage.

Improved structural design and the increased strength of steel and other structural materials mean that sheer physical size is less important than it used to be. For proof, take a look at some crash-test videos of poorly designed, similar sized Chinese cars compared to our North American vehicles, and at crash-test videos of vintage cars crumpling into their modern equivalents.

However, the overall weight of the vehicle does make a difference. “A bigger, heavier vehicle provides better crash protection than a smaller, lighter one, assuming no other differences,” states the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). “The bigger vehicle will push the lighter one backward during the impact. That puts less force on the people inside the heavier vehicle and more on the people in the lighter vehicle.”

For this reason, the IIHS says that teenagers, new to driving, are often safer in an older and larger used vehicle than in a newer, smaller vehicle that costs the same. They proved it by crashing a 2016 Kia Sorento into a smaller 2018 Kia Forte, and a 2015 Toyota Avalon into a 2018 Toyota Yaris. All have excellent safety ratings, but the crash-test dummies in the heavier cars fared better than those in the lighter vehicles.

“Bigger vehicles provide greater protection,” said Jessica Cicchino, the IIHS vice-president of research. “If you’re riding in one of the smallest vehicles on the road, you’ll be at a disadvantage in a crash with almost any other vehicle around you.”

Electric cars may help to even out the stakes as their heavy batteries account for much of the weight of the vehicle. In the near future, a smaller electric car with a large battery may be much closer in weight to a large car or truck with a similar battery.

It’s better than it used to be, though. Older SUVs and pickup trucks had higher bumpers that would make them drive up and over smaller cars during a collision, but in the past decade, designers have better aligned the energy-absorbing areas of trucks and cars to make them more compatible in a collision. From 2009 to 2012, the IIHS says car occupants were 59-per-cent more likely to die in a collision with an SUV than with another car, but by 2013 to 2016, that was reduced to 28-per-cent more likely.

Pickup trucks, however, are more dangerous to others during a collision. In the 2013 to 2016 period, a crash between a pickup and a car was more than twice as likely to kill the car driver than a crash between two cars.
Mistakes are learning opportunities. Not the expression of failure.
80 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
28521 posts
13869 upvotes
Toronto
Just buy a Volvo and end of discussion Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
1409 posts
1417 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote: This is something I've said all my life. Glad to see some studies agree with me.

From the Globe and mail, by Mark Richardson

Electric cars may help to even out the stakes....
Oh boy, yet another dinosaur journalist promotes SUVs and trucks, and puts down EVs.
I wonder what happened to the so called "independent journalism"?
I guess everyone can be bought nowadays.
Read comments below this trash article, BTW.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1607 posts
1300 upvotes
xrvr wrote: Oh boy, yet another dinosaur journalist promotes SUVs and trucks, and puts down EVs.
I prefer facts to comments ;)

EDIT: This thread downvoted by owners of small vehicles Face With Tears Of Joy
Jun 4, 2020
524 posts
441 upvotes
Clarington, ON
xrvr wrote: Oh boy, yet another dinosaur journalist promotes SUVs and trucks, and puts down EVs.
Maybe I have a poor command of the language. "Electric cars may help to even out the stakes as their heavy batteries account for much of the weight of the vehicle."

Seems like the dinosaur journalist is suggesting that the overall mass of the electric vehicle may be of benefit
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2740 posts
1275 upvotes
Calgary
EV owners are super sensitive bunch. Can't say anything negative about them.

Nothing in this article is new. Laws of physics can't be broken no matter if a vehicle is combustion engine, EV, hydrogen, propane powered, steam powered etc. Weight matters. You can mitigate to a certain extent, but if you do the same mitigation in a larger vehicle it simply won't matter.

If you love EVs and want a heavy vehicle, get the new Hummer. No ICE Corolla will stand a chance in a crash with you.
Jun 4, 2020
524 posts
441 upvotes
Clarington, ON
aleks wrote: Laws of physics can't be broken no matter if a vehicle is combustion engine, EV, hydrogen, propane powered, steam powered etc.
Well... Now I just want to steam my way into work some day! Lol
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3151 posts
793 upvotes
Vaughan
Studies say you have less chance of a car accident if you stay at home. Guaranteed 100% car accident free if you don't leave your house for the rest of your life.

There's no way i'd drive an suv or truck. I'll enjoy my life, and enjoy my fun sports car. Rather die enjoying my life, than live and drive poor handling vehicles. Yolo.
Last edited by phuviano on Feb 11th, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15639 posts
16781 upvotes
Oakville
aleks wrote: EV owners are super sensitive bunch. Can't say anything negative about them.

Nothing in this article is new. Laws of physics can't be broken no matter if a vehicle is combustion engine, EV, hydrogen, propane powered, steam powered etc. Weight matters. You can mitigate to a certain extent, but if you do the same mitigation in a larger vehicle it simply won't matter.

If you love EVs and want a heavy vehicle, get the new Hummer. No ICE Corolla will stand a chance in a crash with you.
Yea, nothing new here. All things being equal, being heavier is an advantage in a car to car crash. However, heavier, higher centre of gravity vehicles do worse in single vehicle accidents and would be worse at avoiding accidents in the first place.
Also, their comparison between "old" and new cars is pretty dumb when the old car is only a few years older. Safety doesn't change that fast. Gotta go 10+ years older to see big differences. Like with a Q5 vs a 2000 F150, I'll take the Q5, especially if you consider how much weaker it would be with age, less airbags, and probably a Takata airbag that will impale you with shrapnel.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4994 posts
2405 upvotes
Ottawa
Have fun with this site and draw your own conclusions: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/insurance- ... -and-model

So, yes of course, heavier/larger is the safer vehicle to be inside when a collision occurs. A weight advantage can be a life safer at highway speed. In the city - where smaller vehicles have a greater presence on our roads - collision speeds are often less life threatening and smaller vehicles protect their occupants well. If the majority of your driving is at "city speeds" there is absolutely no reason to move to a larger/heavier vehicle for safety reason.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4019 posts
4150 upvotes
GTA
So people are safer in big, heavy vehicles? Where does that leave everyone else in average sedans?
Jun 4, 2020
524 posts
441 upvotes
Clarington, ON
derass wrote: So people are safer in big, heavy vehicles? Where does that leave everyone else in average sedans?
Dead?

Considering automakers are slowly abandoning cars though...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1607 posts
1300 upvotes
phuviano wrote: Studies say you have less chance of a car accident if you stay at home. Guaranteed 100% car accident free if you don't leave your house for the rest of your life.
Really???

UPDATED: Two people injured when vehicle crashes into house in Fleming
Your text to link here...

Car Crashes Into House In Parkview

Police: Driver dies after car crashes into house in Tampa Your text to link here...

CPD: 4 people seriously injured after car crashes into home

Car Crashes Into House In Milford

You might not be as safe as you think IN your house ;)
Last edited by TomLafinsky on Feb 11th, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4019 posts
4150 upvotes
GTA
KevinM56081 wrote: Dead?

Considering automakers are slowly abandoning cars though...
That's the point I'm trying to make. One person becomes more safe at the expense of someone else becoming less safe.
Jun 4, 2020
524 posts
441 upvotes
Clarington, ON
derass wrote: That's the point I'm trying to make. One person becomes more safe at the expense of someone else becoming less safe.
Can't argue.

I remember learning to drive on a compact stick shift with no power steering, no abs etc.

I should be dead!

Also will readily admit there are 2 SUV in my driveway.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1607 posts
1300 upvotes
derass wrote: That's the point I'm trying to make. One person becomes more safe at the expense of someone else becoming less safe.
Yep, you got that right. The fittest survives ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3151 posts
793 upvotes
Vaughan
TomLafinsky wrote: Really???

UPDATED: Two people injured when vehicle crashes into house in Fleming

Car Crashes Into House In Parkview

Police: Driver dies after car crashes into house in Tampa Your text to link here...

CPD: 4 people seriously injured after car crashes into home

Car Crashes Into House In Milford

You might not be as safe as you think IN your house ;)
Those are cars crashing into you, not you getting into a car accident.

Also want to state, i don't buy into fear mongering like you. You probably also wear 3 masks now because the news told you that was the thing to do.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3921 posts
1279 upvotes
BC
phuviano wrote: Studies say you have less chance of a car accident if you stay at home. Guaranteed 100% car accident free if you don't leave your house for the rest of your life.

There's no way i'd drive an suv or truck. I'll enjoy my life, and enjoy my fun sports car. Rather die enjoying my life, than live and drive poor handling vehicles. Yolo.
Lol...
Id rather yolo in a SUV than your mazda
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3151 posts
793 upvotes
Vaughan
iownyou wrote: Lol...
Id rather yolo in a SUV than your mazda
I don't own a mazda, but miata's are great cars. Only uninformed suv drivers like you are unaware how good cars like miata's are, considering their price. Regardless i don't own a mazda. If you like driving your boat, all the power to you.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Dec 10, 2007
621 posts
446 upvotes
Arviat
Yeah tell that to the family of the mom and two kids who got killed in a “tank” of an SUV last summer when it was flipped by a small sedan.

Same with the soon to be retired guy who died a few years ago on his way home from work when his SUV also rolled over many times after getting flipped by a smaller car.