Computers & Electronics

Buying Lithium batteries from online Chinese seller. Still possible or not?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 5th, 2018 10:28 pm
[OP]
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
504 upvotes
Mississauga

Buying Lithium batteries from online Chinese seller. Still possible or not?

I bought a couple of LED flashlights that run best with lithium batteries. One uses 18650s and the other uses 26650s. So wanting to buy these batteries at a decent price I checked online and it seems alot of places don't ship to Canada and then I found Fasttech that said that they do ship to Canada, or at least it allowed you to place an order for the batteries with shipping options to Canada.

Now my order is on hold because one of their CSRs are telling me that they aren't able to ship to Canada. So I'm wondering is there clear info as to whether or not you can import lithium batteries from overseas? And would it make a difference to Canada customs if those batteries were shipped by sea rather than airmail from places like China? Looking at the choices, most options in Canada are much more expensive and a number of places from the US don't ship here either although I've heard that Illumn which is US does ship here.

So what's the real answer? Will Canada Customs no longer allow lithium batteries from overseas into Canada anymore? Am I outta luck with ordering from Chinese sellers who sell these batteries for much better prices? :/
Not all Toronto sports teams are cursed!! Toronto Raptors 2019 NBA Champs! :D
3 replies
May 13, 2007
169 posts
76 upvotes
Lake of the Woods, N…
The quality of these batteries can vary GREATLY. You will very likely get what you pay for ....
This flashlight information site is loaded with reviews of battery performance.
Where There’s a Will, There’s a Way.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19332 posts
989 upvotes
I don't think they will stop laptop batteries coming into Canada .... That's one way to obtain 18650s ;)
Dec 27, 2017
97 posts
29 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The Keeppower or any cell that are legitimately Panasonic 18650 cells inside, with a decent protection circuit, are fine. Illum sells and ships them and I've bought a number of things from them over the years shipped either to my home in Vancouver or my mailbox in Blaine WA. Write them and ask if there are any shipping issues.

The issue is air transport. Ground transport should be OK.

(Keeppower is an OEM maker of protected cells - the 18650s are Panasonic NCR18650B, what you want; they make them with a number of other labels. Might as well buy them with their label on them.)