Food & Drink

Buying lobsters at the supermarket - free steaming?

• Last Updated:
  • May 13th, 2018 1:11 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6954 posts
4225 upvotes
Between Countries

Buying lobsters at the supermarket - free steaming?

I saw lobsters on sale in the Superstore flyer and it said free steaming was available. I've seen this before but can anyone tell me how if works? Are you supposed to eat them right after you bring them home steamed or can you store them for a day in the fridge and then heat them up somehow?
8 replies
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
11753 posts
6744 upvotes
They steam them for 10 minutes a pound for you unless you wander away in which case they will steam them indefinitely, so watch the time and be there to remind them.

Probably the best way to reheat is shell them while they are cold, break up the big chunks like the tail, heat a pan of butter or sauce and stir-fry them back to warmth.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2009
7492 posts
2561 upvotes
I just put the whole cooked lobster in the microwave for a minute or two, depending on the size of lobster.

Or if I eat them cold, mix up a mayonnaise, Barbados hot sauce (the mustardy type), wooster sauce and lime juice combination for dipping.

Got a bunch at the Superstore sale. Tonight, fresh boiled with melted butter.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
6954 posts
4225 upvotes
Between Countries
Ok, thanks. So it's really no problem reheating them if I get them pre-steamed. I've always cooked and ate lobster right away. Just looking to save some effort this year for Mother's Day.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2987 upvotes
Steaming is the safest way of cooking a lobster - it's hard to overcook it until it's like leather. I would still watch them closely
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5889 posts
2626 upvotes
Durham
DiceMan wrote: Ok, thanks. So it's really no problem reheating them if I get them pre-steamed. I've always cooked and ate lobster right away. Just looking to save some effort this year for Mother's Day.
Laziness. Mother's Day is ONLY ONCE a year! How bloody difficult is it to make a meal for your mom???? GOSH! Some people.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
May 5, 2016
426 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto
AV-Fishing wrote: Laziness. Mother's Day is ONLY ONCE a year! How bloody difficult is it to make a meal for your mom???? GOSH! Some people.
It's the thought that counts. Not everybody can cook like Gordon Ramsey. Different strokes for different folks. :facepalm:
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
16949 posts
11676 upvotes
Markham
Lobster on sale.... Time to experiment with that SousVide unit people bought!

Do it and call it fine dining. Those fancy restaurants will charge you $$$ for that.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7618 posts
5029 upvotes
Victoria, BC
AV-Fishing wrote: Laziness. Mother's Day is ONLY ONCE a year! How bloody difficult is it to make a meal for your mom???? GOSH! Some people.
Wow, you are very rude and presumptuous.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)