• Jun 20th, 2018 5:14 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Apr 24, 2013
871 posts
653 upvotes
Waterloo

Buying an m5 e60 , issues

I am going to be checking an m5 e60 so if anyone has any advice on what to pay attention to, it is welcomede60
21 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5624 posts
1486 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
You'll find a better answer on a dedicated BMW enthusiast forum, like Bimmerforums.

That being said, with any car, if you are not a mechanic, get a complete mechanical inspection done by a shop. Get a compression test done on the engine, and then the shop should look at the suspension, transmission, cooling system, etc... The most important are the big ticket items, like engine and transmission. If those are good, then the car shouldn't be too bad to run. German motors and transmissions are usually bulletproof as long as they are taken care of; you do not see nearly as many old German vehicles with replaced motors as Japanese and domestic. If not, the repair bill will be huge. A good long time friend of mine was recently looking at one with a blown engine selling for a good deal, but he veered away when he priced the motor to be around $10,000. Other parts like brakes, suspension, hoses, etc. are standard wear and tear metal and plastic items that will wear out eventually with use. They don't cost too much to replace as there are a lot of aftermarket suppliers.

The E60 M5 can be made into a monstrously powerful car when a supercharger is added. If one isn't, then in theory less can go wrong with it than the newer turbocharged M5s at least.
Last edited by FirstGear on Jun 17th, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Accountant (Public Practice)
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Environmental Services
  • Road Construction
  • Transportation & Logistics
  • Tax & Financial Analysis
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
32073 posts
19287 upvotes
Toronto
the sound of a V10 ... Yes !

guzzle around 20L/100km at least. If you daily drive it, then budget accordingly.

+1 avoid SMG.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19681 posts
20123 upvotes
Richmond Hill
SMG Hell no.

Throttle actuators will go for sure
High pressure vanos system will go for sure

Those 2 items alone are huge dollar items.

You buy one of these not because you’re budget balling, but because you’re an enthusiast that wants a V10 and is ready for the repairs.

My dad had one. I wasn’t overly impressed by it. From a dead stop it doesn’t feel like a 500hp car. It simply lacks torque in the low end and needs to be revved out to move its fat ass. Once it’s moving it’s a beast.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5170 posts
6962 upvotes
Toronto, ON
EP32k2 wrote:
You buy one of these not because you’re budget balling, but because you’re an enthusiast that wants a V10 and is ready for the repairs.
Definitely won't be budget ballin with these cars, yet you'll still be looking like one.
[OP]
Apr 24, 2013
871 posts
653 upvotes
Waterloo
Can anyone recommend a good mechanic that I can take it for a check up? In the Toronto area
Dec 10, 2007
723 posts
559 upvotes
Arviat
nimfomanijak wrote: Can anyone recommend a good mechanic that I can take it for a check up? In the Toronto area
Columbus Automotive, I can vouch for Ivo.
If I argue with a fool, I am the fool.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5624 posts
1486 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
er34er34 wrote: Definitely won't be budget ballin with these cars, yet you'll still be looking like one.
It's just on RFD we assume everyone buys a car for status. :rolleyes:

The e60 M5 is the last naturally aspirated M5 you can get, as well as one with a V10 to work with instead of a V8 with the newer FXX series. If supercharged, it can put down >=700HP. G-Power makes such a kit to get it to 700HP. ESS also produces superchargers for this engine.
Some people just prefer the sound and pull of a naturally aspirated V8, V10, or V12.

In theory also less can go wrong with a naturally aspirated motor than a turbocharged one; less parts and the engine isn't worked as hard.

That being said if budget is a concern, you do not want this car. Even if it is reliable, it being a V10 and having more expensive suspension bits and brakes to handle the power, it'll be expensive to run.

If this is your daily driver and you're one of those people who just take a vehicle to the dealership for work, it might just be easier to just lease/finance the new M5. Cash outlay is minimal and you have warranty and maintenance included in the term. On top of my head it's about $1800 - 2000/month, but at least you get a new vehicle out of it. Versus spending $20,000 - 25,000, going into the dealership, and spending $1000 - 2000+ each visit.
  • Road Construction
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2003
3127 posts
1003 upvotes
Toronto
As others have mentioned, the SMG transmission is a POS so avoid at all costs.

Throttle actuators will likely need to be replaced at ~80000km and there’s a small proportion of rod bearings that wear out potentially causing catastrophic engine failure.
Jan 4, 2007
413 posts
157 upvotes
Vancouver
Good to know about the issues with the SMG. Also read about the cost in replacing the cams too.
I was thinking about the E60 M5 as well but owning a BMW means that you have to have deep pockets to maintain it. I've got an E30 and an E90 so I know what it's like.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
19681 posts
20123 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Need pics of E30!!!
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1222 posts
670 upvotes
Richmond Hill
jealous of the V10..

E60 M5 always one of the cars I wanted because of the V10 but seems to be plagued with problems. Owning a V10 and V12 on my bucket list
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5624 posts
1486 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
patrickkc wrote: jealous of the V10..

E60 M5 always one of the cars I wanted because of the V10 but seems to be plagued with problems. Owning a V10 and V12 on my bucket list
You can usually find nice depreciated examples of the S65, CL65, SL65. They weren't well performing cars for the price brand new and most with that money to spend on something ultra-luxury, and new, would rather get a Bentley. The previous gen R8 is also coming down in price.
  • Road Construction
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2009
1222 posts
670 upvotes
Richmond Hill
FirstGear wrote: You can usually find nice depreciated examples of the S65, CL65, SL65. They weren't well performing cars for the price brand new and most with that money to spend on something ultra-luxury, and new, would rather get a Bentley. The previous gen R8 is also coming down in price.
Those 65 AMGs are nice.. but I have 2 AMGs now already and don't really want a third one. Continental GT I've definitely looked at before, but I like the second Gen more and back then they were well over budget. V10 R8 is also good choice.. or take a plunge and get a gallardo ;)
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2007
2577 posts
3315 upvotes
Toronto
nimfomanijak wrote: Can anyone recommend a good mechanic that I can take it for a check up? In the Toronto area
Ahh, BMW tax. And when on top of it, M tax.
Ages ago I saw comment on jalopnik, where someone said he loves BMWs, especially M cars.
Granted, most readers of jalopnik have the love/hate attitude towards these cars, so I've read his entire post.
Turns out, he's an experienced BMW mechanic, and over the years clueless buyers of used bimmers paid off his mortgage, and put his kids through college.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5624 posts
1486 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
patrickkc wrote: Those 65 AMGs are nice.. but I have 2 AMGs now already and don't really want a third one. Continental GT I've definitely looked at before, but I like the second Gen more and back then they were well over budget. V10 R8 is also good choice.. or take a plunge and get a gallardo ;)
Gallardo has the same engine as r8, just different software.
  • Road Construction
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2008
1260 posts
308 upvotes
Quebec
just buy a brand new 320i instead. save yourself the hassle to bring the car back and forth at a repair shop.